How to get a council house!

pandagirl

Hamiltonian I am not refering to any particular case. The council know that *some* people are not being quite honest about their position I have been told first hand they do know it happens, better background check would help.

However I agree that social housing should be temporary and people with employment should be charged the going market rate for rental or encouraged to find private rent. Leaving the social housing for those in real need it should not be a house for life in these present times.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh here we go again. Why do people think it is their God-given right to have a Council house in town? FFS, social housing was designed for those most in need.

Now if the SIC Housing Department have decided to add new 'qualifying factors to be taken into consideration' when applying for a council house/flat (in this instance, driving) which are not outlined in their Housing Policy/Procedures available online, then they are out of order. However, me thinks perhaps it was more a case of pointing out to you that you would be housed quicker if you did add more areas of choice to your application.

It is coming to something when unlinked student is the voice of reason! Well said, U.S.

Shameful ignorant bigotry being spouted by others on here.

I second that comment "Shameful ignorant bigotry being spouted by others on here" My wife happens to be one of those so called immigrants and 90 % of her friends are also so called immigrants, I have to say since we moved back to Shetland to a house I own incase their are any stupid comments on that, That I am disapointed by the amount of comments little digs etc etc that so many so called shetlanders have at these so called Immigrants.

I know of far more SHETLAND families that work the system than any of these "immigrants" I have just helped 3 people who have not an ounce of British/Scottish or Shetland blood in their veins secure accomodation after their wonderful so called Shetland landlord gave them 2 weeks notice as he can get more money from Petrofac ! yep fair system isnt it !

They have not run to the council they didnt declare homeless they got on with looking for an alternative place to lay their head ! which has been difficult to find as everyone wants a piece of the petrofac pie with silly prices for bedsits never mind a couple of bedrooms.

As for social housing my son and his partner have been on the list for 5 years, Have thought they were close on a few occasions but alas no, on one occasion a couple split up and the wife was housed, Her daughter moved in with her 2 weeks later they resolved their differences and the marriage was saved and the single daughter is sitting in a 3 bed house nice and cosy ! Yep Shelties are no as daft as folk might think ! And their no as lilly white as some wid like t mak out ?

Normally I dont get involved or comment on very much on Shetlink but tonight this really really boiled my greth ! My wife who works 6 days a week on just above minimum wage half her money goes on travel to and from work etc etc came home dnite and asked if we could think about moving back to her country as some delightful educated upstanding member of our community had decided they were having a bad day and they would take it out on her as she wisna fae here ! so that makes it ok !

If only I had known that this was not the first time, but happens several times a week as she is in a job that she deals with the public we would have moved away again a while ago !

And for once I can hand on heart say Im NOT proud to be a Shetlander.

Surely you would not need extra managers surely the housing officers could perform more detailed background checks as part of their normal work or employ I person to undertake more specific checks on certain applications or perhaps more detailed application forms asking possibly more specific questions ?

Some background check must be done anyway surely, so maybe just tighten it up to help prevent some psooble fraud ?

About 8 years ago a family friend became homeless in Aberdeen after she split from her abusive partner, because she had lived in Aberdeen for less than 5 years Aberdeen housing said she had to apply for homelessness in Shetland[where she previously lived] she did and was housed after a spell in temporary accommodation make of that what you will.

If people feel strongly about this then you should not vote for Labour/ Con /libdem or SNP you could not get a fag paper between their social housing policies .Labour in particular were a bloody disgrace for 13 years they continued the Cons policy of selling off council houses and did not build any to replace them even with the population rising rapidity due to some of there other policies.The party of the working man what a joke.

Why cant Shetland go independent and then they we can devise our own housing policy and spend some of our billions of oil/gas/fish money on building some houses .Simple.

Have you any views on Mareel? Or the Judane fiasco? Or Viking energy? Or the Dave Clark payout? Or the £6 million lost to LPA? Or the £3 million lost to Smyril line?..... Well if you do, you should consider that this is the same calibre of incompetence that would be charged with looking after the 'millions' (not billions) for you without any regulation from the Scottish government (for what that's worth).

Maybe you have a valid point though.... The sooner that troublesome money is gone, the sooner Shetland can get back to normal.

If Shetland got FULL independence it would be Billions not millions .As for politicians making a hash of it i believe the UK is in a spot of financial bother just now and will be for some considerable time to come.Who,s bright idea was it to deregulate the banks? who was it that firmly believed in light touch regulation of the city and the crooks who infest it? who was it that sold half of britains gold reserves for a pittance? they make make our lot look like saints.I wont even mention the wars and the resulting human carnage or the fact they are giving away our very sovereignty to the EU.

redrobbie wrote in another thread..

Because of the huge influx of mainly male workers since the oil era began in Shetland there has been a large disparity between the sexes in the Islands.

Yes, in 2010 there were 11,348 males and 11,052 females.

Can you tell us where your figures come from, or is it just convenient assumption, as with the other posts of yours?

Much of the "fish" money sits with a few people.

There is nothing saying yet that Shetland would get full rights, it is just an assumption by those who want something.

Shetland peat Women live longer than men so of course this skews the numbers if you look at the figures for age groups say 16 to 40 there is a much bigger discrepancy .Many of these workers are temporary and dont appear on the figures .The times says well over one thousand expected to work on upgrading sullom and building gas plant .This is fraction of the number who built sullom are you really saying this had /will have no effect on the social life in shetland.Finally how do you explain the recent popularity of the mail order brides in shetland,

If Shetland got FULL independence it would be Billions not millions .As for politicians making a hash of it i believe the UK is in a spot of financial bother just now and will be for some considerable time to come.Who,s bright idea was it to deregulate the banks? who was it that firmly believed in light touch regulation of the city and the crooks who infest it? who was it that sold half of britains gold reserves for a pittance? they make make our lot look like saints.I wont even mention the wars and the resulting human carnage or the fact they are giving away our very sovereignty to the EU.

I'm not disregarding your views but I think we're getting a bit off the track here.

I think the original post was about a young girl whining that she wasn't getting what she wanted.

Actually, we've heard very little from her since.

Council houses are for the most vulnerable. Unfortunately that means addicts, the folk that canna control dir rutting and da poor souls dat are mentally ill. If you have a job and can look eftir yirself why would you expect the state ta provide you wi a hoose? Dats no da purpose o da cooncil. If you are well and able you find yir ain hoose. I ken I did. It isna dat great.But it does me.