How to get a council house!

pandagirl

Surely social housing including Ha should be going to the most in genuine need first which ever group of people/person it happens to be .There are some that may be abusing the system as in any area, but better background checks and more specific questions eg where did last live ,reason for leaving,have you ever owned property before or still own any property and where etc etc on the forms may help here.

It must be a difficult job for the housing officers I don't envy their position and have to make difficult decisions ,maybe even their hands are tied to certain extent as to how far eg background checks are able to be carried out etc.

I don't suppose any system is going to be perfect or fool proof.

Social housing should be there as a kind of safety net ,you never know if you may ever have to rely or need it yourselves one day which could apply to any of us and be grateful for a roof over your head not to been seen as way to get cheap home and perhaps be saving little on the side from benefit of a cheaper rent.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure unlinkedstudent isnt sitting waiting for a council house and has different views from myself because he isnt keeping in touch with the young Shetland couples of today!

HE happens to be a 'she'. 'She' spent two years homeless, living on the streets in London, including cardboard city. 'She' also saved £4 a week to gain word processing skills as no government courses were available. 'She' also spent years in tiny bedsits later on at crazy rents. 'She' also had a child and waited for a council property. 'She' also has friends with 2 children still living in one bedroom council properties. As 'she' got older, 'she' continues to have friends, both young and old alike.

Im sure unlinkedstudent isnt sitting waiting for a council house and has different views from myself because he isnt keeping in touch with the young Shetland couples of today!

assumptions can be so wrong. she is in much more need of housing than some young couple.

assumptions can be so wrong. she is in much more need of housing than some young couple.

Thank you, paulb.

Why should the rest of the tax paying community subsidise "young Shetland couples"?

I'm happy to fork out me hard earned dosh to help those who are struggling, but not to support those who simply want a cheap house.

If you are a young couple trying for a council house in Shetland god help you because it seems that the young employed and driving couples are the ones that fail to meet the needs of the housing department. They are the ones who are told to add more areas of choice to their application as they wont stand a chance of getting in the areas of there choice because wait for it........... they can drive. Why should they add more areas to there application if they dont want to stay in Mossbank or sandwick for example, it seems a shame that young couples who have never been unemployed and never taken drugs or been in trouble with the law should find themselves penalised by the Sic housing department because they can drive . So if you want to get a council house then my advice would be give up your job and car and Im sure you wont have too long to wait before you get to the top of the housing list. I rest my case!

Why should the rest of the tax paying community subsidise "young Shetland couples"?

I'm happy to fork out me hard earned dosh to help those who are struggling, but not to support those who simply want a cheap house.

May be because there may be a need to keep the young on the islands to work and pay taxes...

OR

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-I9_fuLLSAuk/TeTrOBFW7MI/AAAAAAAAG90/Gj5sVjrg9Ck/s1600/RetVillage.jpg

If you are a young couple trying for a council house in Shetland god help you because it seems that the young employed and driving couples are the ones that fail to meet the needs of the housing department. They are the ones who are told to add more areas of choice to their application as they wont stand a chance of getting in the areas of there choice because wait for it........... they can drive. Why should they add more areas to there application if they dont want to stay in Mossbank or sandwick for example, it seems a shame that young couples who have never been unemployed and never taken drugs or been in trouble with the law should find themselves penalised by the Sic housing department because they can drive . So if you want to get a council house then my advice would be give up your job and car and Im sure you wont have too long to wait before you get to the top of the housing list. I rest my case!

OP, I'll ask again - did they seriously say they were taking into account you can drive? Instead of bleating on here, have you actually taken the time to read their housing policy and procedures that are available online and ascertained if they are acting in accordance with their own procedures?

Edit: Here's the link:

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/housing/documents/OP47v113updatedJune2012.pdf

In determining what is reasonable, we will take into account your previous housing history, any family and wider support networks you have, nursery placements, child care arrangements, where your children attend school, your employment, if you have a car, any medical need and any other social need your household has.

Yup, I guess you did not read it, there is a bit about car ownership.

Now I wait for the....

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2451/3956341970_ce732331a9_z.jpg

In determining what is reasonable, we will take into account your previous housing history, any family and wider support networks you have, nursery placements, child care arrangements, where your children attend school, your employment, if you have a car, any medical need and any other social need your household has.

Yup, I guess you did not read it, there is a bit about car ownership.

Which is precisely why I said to see whether or not they were acting in accordance with their procedures.

I know your allowed to own a car what i was saying was you shouldnt be made to pick areas outwith your chosen areas just because you have a car and can drive.

So you should take preference on the housing list and be awarded more points over someone with less physical mobility capability than yourself and/or having kids attending school, etc., simply because they suggested adding an area outwith your chosen area, is that what you're saying?

SIC don't have enough housing stock to go around.

More people apply than there is the supply for.

Count yourself lucky that SIC don't do what some councils do by housing you 100 miles away just so that they meet their legal obligations.

Is it the case that they "forced you" to choose other areas or simply pointed out to you that you would have a better chance of getting a property sooner if you added other areas to your application?

Crumbs, I know some of Housing can act at times like power crazy merchants/little hitlers but come on now ... I can picture it now, Housing Officer says "You WILL add this to your application NOW!".