How to get a council house!

pandagirl

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are like little Hitlers and come across as quite bullying to young vunerable people who apply for housing and look to the housing department for help and advice!

Hate to break it to ya, OP, but they treat most peeps like that, regardless of age. Welcome to the real world. But in your case it would appear that for once, the jobsworths in Housing are actually following their own procedures (for a change) and not making it up as they go along.

if your in desperate need for housing. whats wrong with sandwick or mossbank. your ether in need or not.

unless its impractical stay with family. your deposit will grow faster.

we have had 2 council houses since we were married. 1 for a year in one of the worst areas in manchester. until we could afford a cheap run down repo.

2nd when we came up here year and a half in mossbank. in a nhs house. again until we could find a place. thou its not perfect its better than being homeless.

the housing officer was trying to help you by saying choose a larger area. simple answer with no kids and no health points you have no chance in lerwick.

there are some cheaper flats at under a hundred k in lerwick. find the deposit and get on the ladder. we are paying less now than when we were renting. and thats on a 100k morgage.

They are like little Hitlers and come across as quite bullying to young vunerable people who apply for housing and look to the housing department for help and advice!

Well, the Hitler analogy may be a little over the top in many aspects. From a personal level, they were very helpful to me and explained what I could do.

Sadly, in todays way of doing things, pressures for housing, and on staff may be at high levels.

It may not help now but S.I.C. have embarked on allocating land for various developments to meet the housing needs, both private and social for the next few years. It is to stop developers demanding land for developments that may not fit into the area. This will happen more as old "plans"now expire.

If the Council can secure the £40 million back from the Treasury it borrowed to house the oil workers this money could be used to kick start that plan and houses could be built and passed on.

They will give advice, as will the housing association, it may not be what you would like to hear though.

As for the council housing dept. making it up as they go along. If they were, they would be open for scrutiny, your councillor could suggest that. I would think they do not, in most cases, though for folk to remember verbatim conversations can be difficult. No doubt now we will get many examples as I have mentioned it, alas, here we do not always get the full facts.

As for the council housing dept. making it up as they go along. If they were, they would be open for scrutiny, your councillor could suggest that. I would think they do not, in most cases, though for folk to remember verbatim conversations can be difficult. No doubt now we will get many examples as I have mentioned it, alas, here we do not always get the full facts.

SP, you know from previous threads that Ghostie has had correspondence ongoing (still to be resolved) since Spring/Summer last year just on ONE issue, let alone other issues going back over a decade. As someone who has previously worked for a Local Authority, I take no pleasure whatsoever in stating that the SIC Housing staff dealing with the issues have been, and continue to be, inept, time-wasting and glorified pen pushers. What should have been decided and dealt with in under a week continues to drag on ... and on ... and on. Ghostie is well aware, as am I, with regards to scrutiny, how to go through our local Councillor, the Chief Executive, the Scottish Ombudsman; hell, even Shelter and the Scottish Government's own Housing Team are gobsmacked with SIC's approach!

Yes, there are some good people working within Housing but sadly, those dealing with Ghostie's enquiries are not the polite, competent ones I dealt with when I first applied for Housing (unsuccessfully) when I first looked into moving to Shetland.

Want a more efficient SIC Housing Department - outsource it to a competent body - I've heard marvellous things about the housing association up here and albeit hearsay, hear that many a time they bang their heads on their desks when dealing with the SIC Housing Department.

Perhaps the OP should be aware that there are many people, be they "abusers/drug users"/whatever label they choose to attach to them housed in temporary emergency accommodation outside of the town.

So, you've had your first taste of the kind of service that they are, and believe me the only way it goes from there is downhill. Yet you still seem keen to proceed....Well, 'Good Luck'.....I think. :?

I know your allowed to own a car what i was saying was you shouldnt be made to pick areas outwith your chosen areas just because you have a car and can drive.

I'll refer you back to my previous post.

Why should I subsidise those who want cheap housing and who expect to live exactly where they want?

Welcome to the real world, Panda girl. SIC aren't there to pander to your own personal whims.

Move on.

Or not, as the case may be......

Perhaps the council or a private developer could provide a large caravan park near Lerwick where people could site caravans or mobile chalets . I am sure many people would be interested in such a solution .A lot cheaper than renting a house.

Aye, but far too sensible, such things are far too "unpretty" to have in the 'burbs of the Big Apple - we had Annsbrae, Grantfield, Jubilee, and Big Brother couldn't get them cleared fast enough. The current tipping of a hat to the idea at Hoofields is also slated to vanish soonish too I believe....

That would be a good solution for young couples and single people but not use at all for families.

Why couldn't they be used for families? Some of those static mobile homes have up to 4 bedrooms.

it would be unpleasant in winter. hope they would be tied down well.