How to get a council house!

pandagirl

I have heard that local authorities are duty bound to provide caravan sites .

wrong there.

I thought they had a legal duty to provide sites for ''travellers'' maby that was just in England .

Nope, not any more.

Conservatives removed that. The irony is, if councils were to install new such sites, it would go to their homes allocation and they would get more money from the GOV as New Homes Bonus.

Dont you mean conservatives/LibDems

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that local authorities are duty bound to provide caravan sites .

wrong there.

I thought they had a legal duty to provide sites for ''travellers'' maby that was just in England .

Nope, not any more.

Conservatives removed that. The irony is, if councils were to install new such sites, it would go to their homes allocation and they would get more money from the GOV as New Homes Bonus.

Dont you mean conservatives/LibDems

Nonsense when people stop speaking out then it will really be time to give up. The OP has a perfect right to air their views and not be called names or told to be quiet. If somebody is concerned about the status quo they should always voice their opinion.

I should take issue with you for shouting down my opinion but that could go round for ever.

My point was, the OP has brought nothing new to the table in this discussion and simply continues to play the 'young, struggling, Shetlander' card when very few are sympathetic.

When someone harps on about "why can't I have a house from the council?" My opinion (which you rightly said I'm entitled to) is that, anyone who comes to a local forum to whine about not getting their way is either, used to getting their way Or, ignorant as to the reason social housing exists.

And my advice was to get over it.

Who is shouting?

I think the OPs fears and opinions are shared by many people in Shetland. This forum is hardly representative.

To me there are two issues.

1. The large influx of visiting workers is drying up the supply of private lets and obviously driving prices up. So there is even more demand on LA housing stock. It's to simplistic to talk about greedy landlords. The price is the market price.

2. I find house prices in Lerwick are relatively high meaning that young working people who are most likely to be looking to get on the housing ladder are staying in their council or private let longer. Or buying their council house taking it out of the available stock.

No matter how many houses are built the list never seems to go down.

Spring has surely officially sprung and wee flowers are pushing up in earnest....alas to wilt away in a matter of days much the same as that greasy spread that hit the market and didn't make the grade.

Never mind - council housing, and the tenancy of, will continue to be an issue worthy of debate ad infinitum.

I think the OPs fears and opinions are shared by many people in Shetland. This forum is hardly representative.

1. The large influx of visiting workers is drying up the supply of private lets and obviously driving prices up. So there is even more demand on LA housing stock. It's to simplistic to talk about greedy landlords. The price is the market price.

2. I find house prices in Lerwick are relatively high meaning that young working people who are most likely to be looking to get on the housing ladder are staying in their council or private let longer. Or buying their council house taking it out of the available stock.

You're bang on with that Mikeyboy.

I had a pal rent a room for me for 6 years, honest, hard working lad may I add. He put in over 100 applications for tenancy to the SIC and HHA over that period, he never got ONE of those properties he applied for. I wrote to both associations a letter saying that on a particular date I was throwing him out as I had my girlfriend moving in, thus rendering him homeless. He was offered a house in town the following week.

For the young couples/folk who are a. private renting, therefore spending all their wage on that, leaving nothing to spare for saving for a place of their own or b. still living with parents/family and desperatley need their own space, maybe you should start getting a bit more constructive when communicating with the 2 associations.

Rightly or wrongly I am sick of smackheads etc getting housing before genuine hard working people, look at the state of some of the houses at Grodians, Arheim etc and the problems taking place there, makes my p*ss boil!!! Why can't they be shipped out to far flung areas of Shetland, they do sod all all day apart from loiter around the street making a nuisance of themselves and scaring some of the older generation into the bargain, as I was witness to twice last week!

Can you buy the Hjaltland houses here at present like some areas down South ?

Would it not be sensible idea not to allow people buy Housing assoc and council now, and when they no longer are needed, someone else could make use of them instead of them be allowed to be sold off .

Would it also help prevent people trying to cheat a sytem in thinking if they could get hold of one, sit with it a few years then apply to buy it and then sell privately in future for profit.

Otherwise your building affordable housing only to be allowed to be sold off at later date not really helping the emergency housing list?

Never has a truer word been spoken, Silvercloud. The pure sense of your statement is, alas, a bit 'Emperor's new clothes', so thoroughly has the 'right to buy' been embedded as a right. The selling off of our housing stock was a Tory scam, a bribe for votes, a tawdry exercise in social engineering. They fed our houses into a money-grabbing property boom, and houses ceased to be bought as homes, only for profit. They created a situation where we are forced into huge debt for life, and those who can't afford it scrabble around for what social housing's left, blaming immigrants and incomers for the problem.

muggins wrote:

Shetlandpeat , the single greatest reason for Shetland folk to not express Shetland opinions on a Shetland website , what a tosser

- I second that, he apparently does not know what is happening in shetland on any level but still makes his comments and thousands of them at that. It is clear that many people live on shetland and have no real life as they post nonsense forever. Pandagirl, my advice would be to just get on with your life and wait for a house and keep contacting the housing department as I have noticed that the people who post thousands of posts on shetlink are bullies to quite a few others and indeed are very happy with it, maybe they will think otherwise when they are taken up for prosecution for their behaviour as they are so very happy with what they state anonymously in their thousands of posts.

... But would you say Shetlink was an '"abusive" site?

Spring has surely officially sprung and wee flowers are pushing up in earnest....alas to wilt away in a matter of days much the same as that greasy spread that hit the market and didn't make the grade.

Never mind - council housing, and the tenancy of, will continue to be an issue worthy of debate ad infinitum.

:lik:

muggins wrote:

Shetlandpeat , the single greatest reason for Shetland folk to not express Shetland opinions on a Shetland website , what a tosser

- I second that, he apparently does not know what is happening in shetland on any level but still makes his comments and thousands of them at that. It is clear that many people live on shetland and have no real life as they post nonsense forever. Pandagirl, my advice would be to just get on with your life and wait for a house and keep contacting the housing department as I have noticed that the people who post thousands of posts on shetlink are bullies to quite a few others and indeed are very happy with it, maybe they will think otherwise when they are taken up for prosecution for their behaviour as they are so very happy with what they state anonymously in their thousands of posts.

Come on now Vitalite!!!

muggins wrote:

Come on now Vitalite!!!

Apologies, slip of the fingers, I meant CROCUS :wink:

muggins wrote:

... But would you say Shetlink was an '"abusive" site?

:lik:

Bollox!!! I just got that!!!... HaHa!!! :lol:

Some one should ask our politicians why it is that people who work pay taxes and play by the rules find that they are at the very back of the queue while other people who do the very opposite are always at the front.Remember this is our money that pays for all this.You are right public opinion is fast turning against these policies which turns natural justice on its head.

You're bang on with that Mikeyboy.

I had a pal rent a room for me for 6 years, honest, hard working lad may I add. He put in over 100 applications for tenancy to the SIC and HHA over that period, he never got ONE of those properties he applied for. I wrote to both associations a letter saying that on a particular date I was throwing him out as I had my girlfriend moving in, thus rendering him homeless. He was offered a house in town the following week.

For the young couples/folk who are a. private renting, therefore spending all their wage on that, leaving nothing to spare for saving for a place of their own or b. still living with parents/family and desperatley need their own space, maybe you should start getting a bit more constructive when communicating with the 2 associations.

Rightly or wrongly I am sick of smackheads etc getting housing before genuine hard working people, look at the state of some of the houses at Grodians, Arheim etc and the problems taking place there, makes my p*ss boil!!! Why can't they be shipped out to far flung areas of Shetland, they do sod all all day apart from loiter around the street making a nuisance of themselves and scaring some of the older generation into the bargain, as I was witness to twice last week!

Guest Anonymous

So Bug, Stug, Chuck Norris, Hamiltonian - what is so wrong with you life that you are so paranoid and have to bully others on shetlink, don't you know that bullies lives are so inadequate and that they are jealous that they have to bully, otherwise they would be content with their life and leave others in peace. Anyone bullying on shetlink I would have nothing to do with, Iknow, Johanonness, etc would come into this also. Obviously you like to spread your paranoid bug - BUG!