How to get a council house!

pandagirl

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand you said previously you need 30%deposit on a £100,000 house, you have no equity from your house and skint as you say.

Now your finding deposit to buy a house that will be £30,000 on a 100,000 property therfore your not skint or are not able to find this and ask for social housing or rent privately and get evicted when you cannot afford the rent, not saying you would but posts don't add up.

I don't understand you said previously you need 30%deposit on a £100,000 house, you have no equity from your house and skint as you say.

Now your finding deposit to buy a house that will be £30,000 on a 100,000 property therfore your not skint or are not able to find this and ask for social housing or rent privately and get evicted when you cannot afford the rent, not saying you would but posts don't add up.

I think his posts add up just fine. He has negative equity. Even if his house is worth £100k, if he only had a mortgage for a few years it could well be that his mortgage is higher than £100k.

Edit: Say his current house is worth £50k but he paid £60k for it and had a mortgage for £60k - he'd have to pay the bank/building society more than £60k back.

To purchase a house here at £100k, he'd need £30k for a deposit and with negative equity and so forth, with having an existing mortgage it ain't gonna be easy ... that's the way I read it.

Yeah, fair point and sorry to confuse. I wanted (like many) to clear my debt, and the small amount of equity we will generate was going to be used to clear debt so now we are re-working the sums and may be able (by selling things etc) be able to get a 25% deposit together... hard to explain in writing without posting too long a post.

I lost 50% of my work last year and the debt has >>>>>>> increased... sell or be repossessed is not a good place to be

Whether the council admit it or not they don't seem to. I personally know of 3 families who have turned up more or less on speck. Two from England and one from Poland. All 3 were given houses. Shaun if you can live off the mainland. I know that incomers recently have got houses pretty easily on the islands. In fact they have been given what was the sheltered housing.

Mike

If that is the case, it is a bit worrying. I seem to recall, in the past, that if someone arrived off the boat and went to housing, they would just book them on the next boat out, but that may have been rumour.

Don't quote me, but I seem to think it all depends on how good a story gets spun. Whether the (alleged) circumstances which led to them vacating thier previous accomodation quailfy them as "unintentionally homeless", their (alleged) reason for casting up here, and suchlike.

Of course, once known, anyone with half a brain can set things up before the fact that they tick all the boxes when the time comes, and hey presto, are handed keys....

i know someone who shared a 2 bedroomed private flat with her sister. one sister moved in with her boyfriend when the rent went up and the other couldn't afford the rent so spoke to housing to see if she could get help. she was told if she moved out , she would be making herself intentionally homeless. they asked her if she'd been in any disputes with the neighbours or been in trouble for any sort of anti social behavior. she told them no. she was then told, if she had, for instance, been a nuisance neighbour and caused problems, that she would be rehoused. surely by behaving like a *******, you would be making yourself intentionally homeless, rather than not being able to afford the rent. she ended up in another private rent, which cost her loads of money and was cold and pokey. pretty unfair system, especially when certain folk trash the place, cause a nuisance to all around them, then get put in another brand new lovely house while the council gos in and repairs the one they've just wrecked. maybe someone with a bit more intelligence should make the rules!

Shetland needs to tightened its housing rules pretty fast, otherwise we are going to be seen as a place that gives social housing to anybody who experiencing having hard time outside Shetland.

Not only that unless we stop people buying social housing after period time we are not going to have enough emergency housing for those in real genuine need locally, any locals that get into difficultly forget it, the housing list has gone or been supported to those comming from south .

Time for some tough difficult decisions and fast.

Hi Shaun,

Whats bringing you to Shetland mate?

Have you got a particular area or property you are looking at?

Mike

Couple of things TBH, work, new life, future.... I have a job with NHS Shetland that starts in July and find ourselves somewhat compromised financially. BUT are doing the math and hoping we can get a deposit together so may be looking for a short term let now....

North Mainland is ideal really :-)

You should be able to get a house in the North mainland relatively easy. I would have thought. Brae or Mossbank maybe.

At one time essential incoming workers [teachers etc] were allocated council houses .Dont know if this is still the case.

Not any more it would seem. I know a teacher that moved here and was told no provison would be made.

I thought that the NHS had the houses near the GBH for incoming workers?

Shetland needs to tightened its housing rules pretty fast, otherwise we are going to be seen as a place that gives social housing to anybody who experiencing having hard time outside Shetland.

Interesting thoughts. I am not coming because of hard times other than I have been offered a job. I was in the job market and is a little irrelevant where it was, just Shetlands appeals.

Not only that unless we stop people buying social housing after period time we are not going to have enough emergency housing for those in real genuine need locally[/qoute]

ah, this is true wherever you go in the UK and I do agree with you here.

any locals that get into difficultly forget it, the housing list has gone or been supported to those comming from south

Again, interesting thoughts, but not some I would align myself to. Without migration (from wherever) populations do not improve. Not many in Shetland would want to do my job (if any) hance why I have been recruited. If there were those then I would be in the South. If you care to come here and see that we face the same problems locally, I am particularly well known in my profession yet I am choosing to leave that behind to hopefully make a difference to a community that needs my skillset

Time for some tough difficult decisions and fast.

Sure is, and that is why SIC is being reduced

Not only that unless we stop people buying social housing after period time we are not going to have enough emergency housing for those in real genuine need locally, any locals that get into difficultly forget it, the housing list has gone or been supported to those comming from south .

It is ill-informed comments like this that make my blood boil...

I live in a council house. I have lived in it for more than 30 years. If I bought it, it would make absolutely no difference to anybody other than myself. Unless of course, you are suggesting that I should be forced to buy 'somewhere' in order that some needy(?) person could get somewhere to live..

.......we are going to be seen as a place that gives social housing to anybody who experiencing having hard time outside Shetland.

You seem to be under the impression that Shetland is somehow different to other areas of the UK regarding 'social' housing stock.

Flipping the coin of your argument onto its obverse, then there should be restrictions elsewhere to stop Shetlanders moving South into social housing.

Does that sound fair to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Or is there a faint whiff of anti-incomer in your posts?