How to get a council house!

pandagirl

Scorrie , it's not the done thing or polite to name and shame on a public forum, those with their ear to the ground would know those who would do this.

It's not the 'done thing' to whinge on a forum and then retreat under a 'need to know' cloak when challenged either.....

But let us move on:

"Why should some people who move up here abuse a system over locals who have worked hard ,good law abiding citizens and have to wait their turn."

Why do you highlight incomers as being the problem? No local parasites?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how a distorted view on incomers could affect this. Shetland is one of the few places I have heard that allows you to sub-let your social housing an move away.

Also, social housing IS for those who can prove they need it, the theory being if you can afford to rent privately, do so until your name comes up on the waiting list. As for the disparity, this equates to 400 ish if you remove the men and women involved with the fishing, which is not too dissimilar to the difference of age groups 0-15. Also, it appears more females go away to study.

Seems another thread to pick on the majority who need housing.

Anybody that can find any conceivable way of covering teh cost of accomodation that is NOT Council operated should consider themselves lucky and privileged. Why anybody that can find some way, any way of avoiding being a Council tenant would want to become one beggars belief to me.

Yes, the lower rent may be very attractive, but beware of what you're expected to "pay" in other ways to get it. You may put up with it for a while just to have the extra cash in your pocket, but sooner rather than later no amount of cash will make it worth the hassle that goes with having the SIC as landlord.

I have never come across such an unbelievably impossible organisation to communicate with, in over 30 years of dealing will allsorts on just about every subject under the sun.

Council and housing association housing provides something that private renting does not. Security of tenure. Council/ha homes are more or less for life while private landlords often let on short leases that are not automatically renewed.

Then of course there is the cost. Most social housing is considerably cheaper than renting in the private sector. Often better quality as well.

There is an answer. Let councils charge market rents for their properties and spend the extra income on building more homes. Or maybe a change in the law to allow councils to rent on fixed term contracts that are not renewed automatically.

Yes at the moment the "homeless" have priority over ordinary applicants. Not the council's choice but the law. Maybe time for the law to change so that homeless people are investigated more thoroughly before being offered a council home with a firm no to those who are trying to play the system including those moving to places with shorter lists just to get housed quicker.

I totally agree with Justme above .Anybody who is homeless should be a prioity so long as they are in real genuine need and not trying to con the system no matter who they are, just the same for overcrowding issues etc.

If someone is given housing and their circumstances change in so much they have good employment would it be fair then for the housing assoc or council then to charge more for rent or encourage people then to rent privately to free up some much needed hosuing for then others also may find themselves in emergency need?

Not everyone can afford to take out a morgage and buy there own house even if they work long hours it doesnt necessarily mean they have the money to buy a house, they have no choice but to try and get a council house. Those couples who are staying with their parents but want to set up home together and start a family of there own or young couples who are expecting their first child but both stay with there own parents. Shouldnt the housing department be supporting these young Shetland families and housing them instead of housing the unemployed drug users who have no intention of working and would rather be living of benefits. Our young Shetland couples should be treated with a bit more respect by these people sitting in council offices holding the keys to property that they would rather see given to the layabouts and drug users and people who cant afford to pay there own way.

Hi,

I agree there are various groups of people that do need genuine help like the post above mentions young couples still living with parents trying desperately to save and start a family and find place of their own etc

There are also group people who have genuinely also fallen on hard times ,lost their way in life for whatever reason that also need genuine help ,advice and support and housing.

Others through no fault of their own find themselve in situations where they do need help somewhere.

then a group who are cheating the system at the expense of those I mentioned above where perhaps a stricter check of their past ie where were they living before using various searches would perhaps help cut down on this group using more specific questions perhaps on forms and so can be checked it might help others .

Not everyone can afford to take out a morgage and buy there own house even if they work long hours it doesnt necessarily mean they have the money to buy a house, they have no choice but to try and get a council house. Those couples who are staying with their parents but want to set up home together and start a family of there own or young couples who are expecting their first child but both stay with there own parents. Shouldnt the housing department be supporting these young Shetland families and housing them instead of housing the unemployed drug users who have no intention of working and would rather be living of benefits. Our young Shetland couples should be treated with a bit more respect by these people sitting in council offices holding the keys to property that they would rather see given to the layabouts and drug users and people who cant afford to pay there own way.

You save up. You go to the pub/cinema/have a takeaway once a month instead of weekly. Many people can't afford to get a mortgage until they are in their forties these days. Once you've got a deposit and especially if you're prepared to live out of town, mortgage payments can be cheaper than council rent.

The Council are doing what is legally required of them. Perhaps 'young Shetland couples', as you refer to them, should realise that the world doesn't owe them anything - it's crap, it sucks ... but it always has. That said, I know more than one young Shetland couple who have knuckled down to having more than one job and have worked their absolute socks off, and continue to do so, in order to own their own place.

Ghostie, however, is right in his description and experience re SIC Housing.

it seems a shame that the young working couples are the ones who suffer when all they are doing are trying to better themselves. Ok perhaps they should save until they get a morgage, wait until they are in their forties and then buy a house. Plenty of people in there forties still cant afford to buy a house, have you seen the prices of houses these days? Sometimes a council house is the only option left for young couples. The point I was trying to make was that I dont think couples who work should be treated unfairly also why should they be pushed into adding other areas of choice to their application simply because they can drive, when they want to be closer to there place of work. People do abuse the system and seem to jump to the top of the waiting list and next thing you know theyre sitting in a council house laughing.

If the amount of the houses is A and the amount of people is B. If B = more than A then B needs to be less choosy when offered one of A.

You're looking for an ideal world scenario, you want cheap accommodation near to where you work, if you get offered a house 20 mile further away then you need to do your sums to see if it still works out cheaper than a private rent (which even then it should).

I know it's frustrating but you can't kick junkies, alkies, baby farms out in the street. Society has allowed this to happen and the only way out of it is to build cheap housing for all not kick out the elements of society who don't deserve what they receive. Since we as a country don't have a pot to piss in there is little chance that the council are going to build you a house close to your work.

I was using " closer to work" as an example, in reality though the working couples who want to set up home together have to rent privately or wait forever while the abusers jump the queue. Realistically getting a council house is near impossible and it's not surprising that theyre are so many young people suffering from depression and stress because it's appalling the way they are treated by the very people who should be helping them. They are not asking for a hand out they are simply looking to stand on their own two feet and make theyre own way in life.

Oh here we go again. Why do people think it is their God-given right to have a Council house in town? FFS, social housing was designed for those most in need.

Now if the SIC Housing Department have decided to add new 'qualifying factors to be taken into consideration' when applying for a council house/flat (in this instance, driving) which are not outlined in their Housing Policy/Procedures available online, then they are out of order. However, me thinks perhaps it was more a case of pointing out to you that you would be housed quicker if you did add more areas of choice to your application.

It is coming to something when unlinked student is the voice of reason! Well said, U.S.

Shameful ignorant bigotry being spouted by others on here.

I second that comment "Shameful ignorant bigotry being spouted by others on here" My wife happens to be one of those so called immigrants and 90 % of her friends are also so called immigrants, I have to say since we moved back to Shetland to a house I own incase their are any stupid comments on that, That I am disapointed by the amount of comments little digs etc etc that so many so called shetlanders have at these so called Immigrants.

I know of far more SHETLAND families that work the system than any of these "immigrants" I have just helped 3 people who have not an ounce of British/Scottish or Shetland blood in their veins secure accomodation after their wonderful so called Shetland landlord gave them 2 weeks notice as he can get more money from Petrofac ! yep fair system isnt it !

They have not run to the council they didnt declare homeless they got on with looking for an alternative place to lay their head ! which has been difficult to find as everyone wants a piece of the petrofac pie with silly prices for bedsits never mind a couple of bedrooms.

As for social housing my son and his partner have been on the list for 5 years, Have thought they were close on a few occasions but alas no, on one occasion a couple split up and the wife was housed, Her daughter moved in with her 2 weeks later they resolved their differences and the marriage was saved and the single daughter is sitting in a 3 bed house nice and cosy ! Yep Shelties are no as daft as folk might think ! And their no as lilly white as some wid like t mak out ?

Normally I dont get involved or comment on very much on Shetlink but tonight this really really boiled my greth ! My wife who works 6 days a week on just above minimum wage half her money goes on travel to and from work etc etc came home dnite and asked if we could think about moving back to her country as some delightful educated upstanding member of our community had decided they were having a bad day and they would take it out on her as she wisna fae here ! so that makes it ok !

If only I had known that this was not the first time, but happens several times a week as she is in a job that she deals with the public we would have moved away again a while ago !

And for once I can hand on heart say Im NOT proud to be a Shetlander.

Very good post.

I happen to live in a Hjatland house and it took a long time trying to finally get one with my partner and daughter. I had lived in the town for most of my life but knew there was no chance of getting a house there so now live out in the country and would never move back to the town.

I used to work with a guy who wouldn't even think of getting a house out with the town even though he was offered several with the nearest being Scalloway all which were turned down.

OP,

I suggest you go and read my earlier point re being able to drive.

I know many people, some living in Shetland, others living down south, who travel many miles to get to work. In fact, one of my mates has a 3hr drive commute to work each day (6hrs there and back). Don't even ask how much she spends on petrol a month. There's others I know too, who get to work despite not being able to drive and despite no bus being available.

Right, just who are the abusers in your book? Just how many young people are suffering from depression and stress? What about other members of society? Stats/figures/reference? Come to think of it, what about older people on the waiting list or don't we count? Should our needs not be met, simply because there's some darling young couple who want a Council place in town? WTF do you think people did before social housing existed?

Yes, I have seen the price of houses ... and compared to elsewhere in the UK, even when salaries are taken into account, at least many can buy/build a place outside of town, sell it a few years later and then move to town if they want - unlike many elsewhere in the UK who don't have a hope in hell's chance.

But fear not, because a young couple, working, being able to afford to run at least one car, should be housed before, for example, a woman who had her partner die/bringing up 2 kids on her own/whatever because the young couple simply must have a place in town, despite the fact they don't really NEED social housing. Don't worry too much though, because us oldies will die of hyperthermia from the draughts created by the knackered windows the SIC never fix, freeing up some precious social housing for a comfortably well off young couple to move into.

If the amount of the houses is A and the amount of people is B. If B = more than A then B needs to be less choosy when offered one of A.

You're looking for an ideal world scenario, you want cheap accommodation near to where you work, if you get offered a house 20 mile further away then you need to do your sums to see if it still works out cheaper than a private rent (which even then it should).

I know it's frustrating but you can't kick junkies, alkies, baby farms out in the street. Society has allowed this to happen and the only way out of it is to build cheap housing for all not kick out the elements of society who don't deserve what they receive. Since we as a country don't have a pot to piss in there is little chance that the council are going to build you a house close to your work.

:lik: