Is there Myxomatosis in Shetland?

Mixi can only be transmitted via live animals. They are the one that attract the flea. Fleas do not suck the congealed blood of a dead animal. The advice given about the disposal of infected carcases is to leave em to nature.

Slight alteration to your post, SP. The fleas will relocate to a live rabbit if the live rabbit gets close enough. It never ceases to surprise me just how quickly fleas abandoned ship onto my lurchers as soon as the rabbit is killed.

I was told many years ago that the correct 'method' was to place a recently killed mixy rabbit at the mouth of a warren known to be in use.

An abhorrent practice, regardless.

BTW, does anyone know if the 'bounty' on rabbits shot is still in place?

Scientists in Australia developed a vaccine for myxomatosis for pet rabbits but the government there banned it because the live virus in the vaccine has the potential to spread into the wild rabbit population which could result in wild rabbit immunity to myxomatosis.If this happened there would be a dramatic increase in the number of wild rabbits.

Lots of vets vaccinate pet rabbits on the mainland, they used to wait until they had enough pet rabbits on a waiting list and the vaccine shared which help reduce the costs.

I remember getting my own pet rabbits vaccinated and vet saying some wild rabbits had also over years built up their own immune system to prevent them getting the diseae possibly by breeding with escaped pet rabbits.

Its horrible disease where the rabbits dies a horrible long painful death.

• 5 weeks later...