Serco Nothlink - price rises

Stug

Just thought I would share the interesting bit if news I heard today. Serco Northink have reduced the discount for Senior citizens, disabled passengers and students from 25% to 10%. Apparently there was an announcement but when I told them the only announcement I had seen was about the group travel the response was 'It's all part of the same thing!' I read the article in both The Shetland Times and The Shetland News and there was nothing mentioned about the reduction.
So the first most people will be aware is when they book and discover the cost has gone up 15%
Pretty sneaky!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the people in these groups get the 2 trips a year but not all. The free trips for young people are only until you are 19 and you do not have to be a student to qualify - all young people form the age of 15 ( I think) to 19 receive the two trips but if you are a student over the age of 19 you do not get any free trips. Students had their funding for travel they receive from SAAS cut last year and they are now being hit with an increase of 15%.

Senior citizens and disabled passengers may qualify for the 2 trips but this does not include a vehicle which , depending upon their disability, may be a necessity rather than a luxury.

My main point is that this is another example of price increase being brought in under the radar when we were assured that Serco were committed to improving the lifeline service! Unfortunately that improvement appears to be to their profit margins and not the service provided to islanders.

Very sneaky indeed.

They may as well run the Jolly Rodger flag fae da mast as to my eyes and ears Serco seem to think us islanders are mugs ready to line their shareholders pockets with a dividend.

I for one will not be conned by their waffle and spin statements.

As it goes if you don't require an immediate journey south for instance it's probably just as well flying nowadays..

Very sneaky indeed.

They may as well run the Jolly Rodger flag fae da mast as to my eyes and ears Serco seem to think us islanders are mugs ready to line their shareholders pockets with a dividend.

As it goes if you don't require an immediate journey south for instance it's probably just as well flying nowadays..

No point in complaining on Shetlink - SIC councillor for transport is Allan Wishart and he was singing NorthLinks praises in the press last week so have a go at him, after all that is what you are paying him for - his contact details are:

Phone: 01595 694224

Mobile: 07825088930

Email: allan.wishart@shetland.gov.uk

Very sneaky indeed.

No point in complaining on Shetlink - SIC councillor for transport is Allan Wishart and he was singing NorthLinks praises in the press last week so have a go at him, after all that is what you are paying him for - his contact details are:

Phone: 01595 694224

Mobile: 07825088930

Email: allan.wishart@shetland.gov.uk

I've already contacted both him and Tavish Scott

sheltie 53 well said.

Although i have already contacted Chaz n Dave i doubt it will do much good whatsoever.

What was a lifeline ferry service has now been turned into a profit driven, greedy, glorified take us for as much as we can exercise.

Serco have to run the service cheaper than before following Scottish Government budget requirements, but i can't think of a worse company to have given this service to.

They're not the only way of this rock. Get a plane and hire a car at the other end. I still think that it is an amazingly cheap journey.

It could be cheaper if we weren't having to subsidise free tickets for many with plenty of money in their pockets to pay their own way.

Just checked the cost of our family holiday with our caravan to the UK mainland.

Including food and drinks of some kind, return will be around £900 inc Islander discount!

Which is Blo^^£ ridiculous.

How can we expect a tourist to industry to survive, would you "Visit Shetland" given the real cost of actually getting here.

The consequences of the Scottish Government placing this contract within the "for more profit" sector is a disaster for us.

I only hope the Wishy Washy person will react with SHETLAND as a priority but doubt it will make any impression upon the Scottish Government.

Now now now, Serco Northlink are the best company for the job. Remember the new £18 a night seats, (blanket not included) and the lovely showers (tokens available from reception), the upgraded menu with no Shetland lamb,the excellent two class seperation in the magnus lounge, the relocation of those really comfy "recliner" seats and the seperation boards between the seats around the ship to stop all those pesky islanders who cannot get a cabin stretching out because 3 bus loads of pensioners from deepest Surrey have decided to descend on the Northern Isles.

Not to mention the 36 staff they are without now with the busy time fast approaching. All this and the crews got no support from the Islanders, so I cant help but think you got the company running this route you deserved.

This mob are going to get worse. You were informed from the start what they were like,but it did not concern you then until now when it starts to hit your pocket. Serco are only interested in the pursuit of profit, and they do not care where this money comes from and it is far too late to start greeting now when things dont go your way.

Now now now, Serco Northlink are the best company for the job. Remember the new £18 a night seats, (blanket not included) and the lovely showers (tokens available from reception), the upgraded menu with no Shetland lamb,the excellent two class seperation in the magnus lounge, the relocation of those really comfy "recliner" seats and the seperation boards between the seats around the ship to stop all those pesky islanders who cannot get a cabin stretching out because 3 bus loads of pensioners from deepest Surrey have decided to descend on the Northern Isles.

Not to mention the 36 staff they are without now with the busy time fast approaching. All this and the crews got no support from the Islanders, so I cant help but think you got the company running this route you deserved.

This mob are going to get worse. You were informed from the start what they were like,but it did not concern you then until now when it starts to hit your pocket. Serco are only interested in the pursuit of profit, and they do not care where this money comes from and it is far too late to start greeting now when things dont go your way.

If you hadn't put across such an aggressive attitude when you started slagging off Shetlanders on here you might have got a different response, ya t*ss*r