Serco Nothlink - price rises

Stug

People were more interested in having a go at the folk who made the posts rather than the issue the posts were about.

I was suprised about the food and the cost, especially when you could hear someone complain who was charged over £14 for a meal.

I wonder who will be able to sleep in the chairs in the front bar when the bar is open. The lack of dim light in the seats along the shop, tilt it back and stare at the lights, it was uncomfortable. Now the cut in discounts.

I hope now chookyargyll you may have gathered, it is all your fault. :wink:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth is that the people who wrote the contract document which allowed Serco to change things are responsible for any problems with Serco's performance that have now arisen. They can only make changes that are allowed within the contract. chookyargyll is probably right that they will get worse and I do hope that someone from the Scottish Government is keeping an eye on what they do.

As for the seat dividers in the bar I have to admit that I thought it looked terrible to have people laying on the seats and even on the floor early in the voyage when other passengers wanted to use the bar but it would have been good to have them allowed to lay down when the bar closed. And of course plenty of people without a cabin are without a cabin from choice since it costs too much for some folk.

Now now now, Serco Northlink are the best company for the job. Remember the new £18 a night seats, (blanket not included) and the lovely showers (tokens available from reception), the upgraded menu with no Shetland lamb,the excellent two class seperation in the magnus lounge, the relocation of those really comfy "recliner" seats and the seperation boards between the seats around the ship to stop all those pesky islanders who cannot get a cabin stretching out because 3 bus loads of pensioners from deepest Surrey have decided to descend on the Northern Isles.

Not to mention the 36 staff they are without now with the busy time fast approaching. All this and the crews got no support from the Islanders, so I cant help but think you got the company running this route you deserved.

This mob are going to get worse. You were informed from the start what they were like,but it did not concern you then until now when it starts to hit your pocket. Serco are only interested in the pursuit of profit, and they do not care where this money comes from and it is far too late to start greeting now when things dont go your way.

If you hadn't put across such an aggressive attitude when you started slagging off Shetlanders on here you might have got a different response, ya t*ss*r

There speaks Shetlands finest. If in doubt resort to some rather crude

and abusive language to get your point across. Very erudite. Iwill not resort to your level of personal attack on me as I happen to believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions, especially on an open forum. However I would like to remind "Shoogler" that opinions are like a*seholes- everyone has one.

Shetlandpeat--- Yes,ok,you got me on this one it is all my fault !! :lol:

chooky i think you'll find in a previous statement from myself that i wished you and your fellow crew all the best in your battles with Serco.

I'm sure i wasn't alone in thinking that, so remember not to tar all islanders with the same brush. :wink:

:lik:

Quite.

and abusive language to get your point across. Very erudite. Iwill not resort to your level of personal attack on me as I happen to believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions, especially on an open forum. However I would like to remind "Shoogler" that opinions are like a*seholes- everyone has one.

Now Chookyargyll my memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to recall some of your previous posts were quite crude towards bosses of Serco! Pot/Kettle :?

Why do I get the feeling that you would be happy to see our lifeline service fall to bits, just so you can say " I told you so"?

The introduction of these changes by Serco are not in keeping with the running of a lifeline service and I can't say I agree with most of them, but it was the government who awarded the contract, not Shetlanders.

Now now now, Serco Northlink are the best company for the job. Remember the new £18 a night seats, (blanket not included) and the lovely showers (tokens available from reception), the upgraded menu with no Shetland lamb,the excellent two class seperation in the magnus lounge, the relocation of those really comfy "recliner" seats and the seperation boards between the seats around the ship to stop all those pesky islanders who cannot get a cabin stretching out because 3 bus loads of pensioners from deepest Surrey have decided to descend on the Northern Isles.

Not to mention the 36 staff they are without now with the busy time fast approaching. All this and the crews got no support from the Islanders, so I cant help but think you got the company running this route you deserved.

This mob are going to get worse. You were informed from the start what they were like,but it did not concern you then until now when it starts to hit your pocket. Serco are only interested in the pursuit of profit, and they do not care where this money comes from and it is far too late to start greeting now when things dont go your way.

If you hadn't put across such an aggressive attitude when you started slagging off Shetlanders on here you might have got a different response, ya t*ss*r

Ok Chookyargyle, you're quite right', everyone's entitled to an opinion. I apologise for any offence caused. I reacted adversely to your provocative attitude and prior strong criticism of Shetlanders for not having the balls to take on Serco. As it happens I agree with a lot of your concerns, however I certainly don't agree with the stereotyping you have of people in our community.

Yes it is a flat rate breakfast now but you do get 20% off if you have an islander card.

As the man says you can order a roll in the bar and it was quite nice.

I would also recommend ordering your meal at night in the bar. You will get it delivered nice and fresh to your table. It will save you queing up and eating the cold offerings in the cafe.

Shetland News - Mr Garrett can't explain why the previous operator added a further 25% discount for Shetlanders to a nationally established concession scheme.

Someone at the time will have known and approved it. Or someone was asleep on the job. Or someone turned a blind eye. Or old Northlink was just financially incompetent.

Who owned the operator at the time? Who was the transport minister? Who was the local MSP?

Awkward.

I think youl find that you wont get any favours out of stuart garret,hes already said its not a lifeline service its a profit making company.ask any body in the isle of man what he did to the steam packet company there!!!!,another thing,if the ferrys cant get in to aberdeen why not go to invergorden or rosthyth,by the way was it really shetland lamd on the menu ??,it says fresh locally caught fish on menu,but it comes from peterhead delivered in a van. mr garret has more tricks up his sleve yet wait an see :(

Looks like Shetland is in the hands of a "trickster"

Maybe it is time to make a stand publicly through our MSP requesting an investigation into the overall situation including the award of contract by Govt.

Letters to--

Constituency Office:

171 Commercial Street

Lerwick

Shetland

ZE1 0HX

Telephone: 01595 690044

Text relay calls welcome.

Fax: 01595 690055