ARI Maternity Island accom - advice / info/ top tips please

Hi there,

We're having to go down south to have our baby and will be staying at the island accomm in the ARI maternity.

We may have to stay a while and we'd appreciate any advice and top tips on how to make it a comfy stay.

Also wondering if folk could answer the following Qs (below). Many thanks in advance for your help :D

Do any of the supermarkets deliver shopping to the flat? If so what address/postcode do you give?

Do the rooms have a tv with a dvd player?

What do you do about laundry?

What buses go from maternity into the city centre?

Can you get take aways delivered to the flats?

Is there a landline telephone number in the flat?

Any essentials that we should bring with us?

Any taxi companies you recommend who have infant car seats or can deal easily with fitting ours?

Any top tips for dealing with the return journey from the hospital to the airport to shetland?

THANK YOU

:)

Hi,

The maternity dept here should be able to answer all your questions and perhaps have info sheet /leaflet something ??

I would give them a ring or ask when you next see your midwife unless someone here can help you beforehand. I'm sure soemone will advise you good luck.

Or try ringing ARI yourself I always found them extremely helpful.

there are 2 groups on facebook that could answer your questions,

Shetmams and Aberdeen Maternity Hospital Island Accomodation.

I can answer some, my is info is 5 yrs old though.

Sainsbury nearby at Berryden, they would tell you if willing to deliver.

Address would be on ARi website.

Laundry room, provide your own powder.

Bus timetable on line, regular buses, bus stop at matty door.

Takeaway across the road, chinese and fish & chips.

Essentials - flipflops for shower!

All taxis should be geared up to taking bairns seats. Read up on line for advice, taxis have different rules to domestic cars. Would take your own seat. Airline shouldn't charge extra.

Tip for flight back, breastfeed on takeoff and landing if possible. Or use dummy/bottle.

Hi we have been down twice now first time was before the accommodation was refurbed an again just before xmas,the accommodation is really pretty good now its been refurbed,the kitchen is a large shared one folk put there things in the fridge with there room number on it so you knew whats what,there is t.v's in the rooms but no dvd player but there is a sitting room with couches and a tv not sure if there is a dvd player in there sure there was i video player,there is a phone in the room which i presume can be used we never had to use it,there is a pretty decent cafe in the main part of the hospital worth a look as we found the one in the maternity side was pretty poor,there is a peerie shop in the maternity unit and a slightly bigger on in the main hospital,i would check whats in the kitchen before buyin anything in we didna then when we went with supplies and found there was tons of stuff left by folk you could use,t,coffee sugar cereal that kinda stuff might save you a bit of cash...there is a retail park maybe 15 minute walk which we went a few times which was good has a mothercare, sainsburys that kinda thing,hope this is some help

You should probably be aware that you will only find out if you get a room once you get there, we had to spend 4 nights in different b&b's in Aberdeen and had to phone in every day at 2 to see if they had space for us, it was a nightmare. once we got in it was fine, stress free, meet folk in the same situation as yourselves and you can rest in a home environment. sometimes they offer the expectant mother a bed on a ward if there is no rooms in the isles acco block but fathers have to find a b&b or a friends couch.

We had a similar experience, dinnaken. I must confess to feeling annoyed when I was on the ward and found out that people from the mainland were using the isles accommodation. Okay - I accept that for some of them it would have meant a journey of an hour or two to get home at nights, but at least they could get home at nights, which people from the isles can't.

I do feel that those furthest away should have some sort of priority, but it didn't seem to work like that! I suppose if you put people in, you can't chuck them out if someone from the isles needs it, but it really is such a nightmare finding accommodation in Aberdeen at short notice so I think that there is a need for this to be taken into account?

thanks folks for the useful info.

I'm not on facebook but PM'd the Aberdeen Maternity Hospital Accomodation group via a pal's facebook page but haven't heard back from them. If anyone knows them do let them know that I'd be grateful for the info! :)

I think in general it would be useful to collate this info for future Shetland Mums.

thanks again for all the help :)

We had a similar experience, dinnaken. I must confess to feeling annoyed when I was on the ward and found out that people from the mainland were using the isles accommodation. Okay - I accept that for some of them it would have meant a journey of an hour or two to get home at nights, but at least they could get home at nights, which people from the isles can't.

I do feel that those furthest away should have some sort of priority, but it didn't seem to work like that! I suppose if you put people in, you can't chuck them out if someone from the isles needs it, but it really is such a nightmare finding accommodation in Aberdeen at short notice so I think that there is a need for this to be taken into account?

I agree. It's a stressful time as it is and I think island folk should be prioritised. It's difficult enough that you're unable to book in advance or get some clear info. on what to expect when you're down there.

Hello,

Just thought I'd add a bit in here since we were down in November.

We've been down twice - in July 2010 and November 2012. AMH were very quick to point out that the accomodation is called "Self Catering Accommodation", and not "Isles Accommodation", despite this being written on various bits of paper I've seen and on a sign post in the hospital I think! So yes there are people there from the West, North and East of Scotland.

The self catering accommodation is like a Penthouse student halls. Its very nice. Since we were there in 2010, TVs have been added to the rooms. There are also radios.

We found that the bus service into the City Centre had gone down hill - we had to walk to the main entrance of ARI to get a bus into town!! I waddled the whole way, and heaven knows what my blood pressure was by then - time they got a conveyer belt.

There appears to be poor information about the Self Catering accommodation at the GBH - no one could tell me anything. I phoned AMH and they told me the GBH would give me info. Nobody knew anything. You'd think given half the babies that are born to people living in Shetland are born in Aberdeen, the GBH would be a bit more geared up.

There are takeaways that deliver to the Self Catering rooms, and I think there was a Co-op nearby as well as the Sainsbury's at Berryden.

Hope all goes well :-)

Thanks HMRobertson for your post - I've found the same: GBH directing me to ARI mattie and vice versa and neither having useful info. Hopefully this post will collate some useful info. and be a reference for folk.

Have also been wondering about wifi access - is there a spot in the ARI or anywhere close by? Anyone know?

Still haven't heard back from the facebook group. Are they still active?

Thanks in advance :)

I wasn't aware of WIFI access at AMH, but I'm sure if you phoned one of the wards they'd tell you - a tip, don't bother contacting the main reception at AMH about anything. We asked them about information on buses outside the building, and the reception said "I don't do buses"!!!

Its really poor the lack of information and contact between GBH and AMH.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Don't know if this may be a bit late for you but might help others -

Do any of the supermarkets deliver shopping to the flat? If so what address/postcode do you give? Unsure of this but you can get bus and Sainsburys is about 5 min away and buses stop on road outside and they are regular (every 10/20 mins)

Do the rooms have a tv with a dvd player? Room has TV but no DVD Player

What do you do about laundry? In the Accomadation Block (but not rooms) you have a Washing Machine and Seperate Dryer - you just need own laundry detergent

What buses go from maternity into the city centre? I can't remeber the number - but ask a reception desk they are very helpful, also has a board letting you know how long next bus is.

Can you get take aways delivered to the flats? Yes you can get Take-Aways delivered, just give them address of Hospital and where you are (probably best if you know how long they going to be to wait downstairs for them - they can not get into Block)

Is there a landline telephone number in the flat? Yes, you can't ring out from it except to other parts of hospital ie Reception, Maternity, etc.

Any essentials that we should bring with us? If you having quite a bit of time to stay something to do especially if you are on your own.

Any taxi companies you recommend who have infant car seats or can deal easily with fitting ours? You have to take own seat and fit yourself but they do usually help if you ask but some may say no.

Any top tips for dealing with the return journey from the hospital to the airport to shetland? Ask to go on plane first and wait till last to get off.

Also it is a shared shower, bath and toilets (no toilets in room) so if you are planning on having a bath, make sure you clean the bath out before you use as people don't tend to clean it out after use. Shower is the best option. Only 2 toilets (one of which is in Bathroom) so don't wait till desperate just in case they are in use.

Kitchen is shared, you have your own cupboard which is locked - also most of time there is a place which says help yourself this is food which has been left over by people that have gone.

Oh and for everyone sake -If you take plates, cutlery etc into your room make sure you take them straight back and wash them so others can use and Close doors quietly don't let them slam.

Don't think they have Wi-Fi, sorry, but not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.