Sullom Voe

matlo

Did anybody hear the Radio 4 play 'Sullom Voe' a couple of days ago?

The pronunciation in 'Shetland' didn't annoy me but for some reason the abuse of Shetland speech in this play was more than I could take. Had to switch off after first 10 minutes.

It's still on iplayer if anybody has a strong enough stomach to listen to it.

It did sound a bit like Stephen Hawking had got a Shetland App in places...

What's interesting is that between the recent 'Shetland' on BBC1 and this play on BBC R4, it is clear from local opinion that there should never be anything set in Shetland broadcast nationally. When there are no Shetland dialects folk complain that there should be, when there are Shetland dialects included people just laugh at it, and if something was done entirely in Shetland dialect then about 99.4% of the population wouldn't understand it!

They had a reasonable stab at it, for non-Shetlanders. Think the main fault is with the scriptwriters for not checking out their du, dee and dys properly. At least they tried to use dialect.

I completely agree! exactly what I was thinkin when I was listenin tae it.

Wis still hard no tae laugh though!

There were a few Irish terrorists who worked at Sullom Voe. I mind a manager from one of the contractors telling me that a guy who got convicted for the murder of a police woman had been working for his firm. He'd thought the guy was under a great deal of pressure before it happened, but couldn't figure out why.

Another one was a guy my Dad knew. A few months after he left Sullom Voe he was caught with a pile of weapons hidden in his car, destined for Ulster.