Bedroom tax/ universal payment

I took out a mortgage over 25 years but you could be renting a house for 60 years or longer.

Did you receive any housing benefit to assist you in paying your mortgage?

Also MIRAS (tax relief on mortgage interest paid) was abolished by the totally incompetent Gordon Brown, the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer in history, in 2000.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took out a mortgage over 25 years but you could be renting a house for 60 years or longer.

Did you receive any housing benefit to assist you in paying your mortgage?

Also MIRAS (tax relief on mortgage interest paid) was abolished by the totally incompetent Gordon Brown, the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer in history, in 2000.

No. Never received any form of benefit in my life other than child benefit, and that went to my wife! :lol:

I thought MIRAS was abolished before that. I did get it for a short period, but it didn't seem to be for long.

If capitalism was working properly then house prices should have collapsed in the present economic situation but no we cant have that [remember most of out politicians are home owners some have many properties] so interest rates are being kept at virtually zero.Which in effect is rewarding people who borrowed recklessness to jump on the bankers housing boom and people who did the right thing[according to the Government saved their money]are being punished with no return on there savings. Its another case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.This bedroom tax on some of the poorest in the country while millionairs are getting a tax cut is a perfect example.

If capitalism was working properly then house prices should have collapsed in the present economic situation but no we cant have that so interest rates are being kept at virtually zero.Which in effect is rewarding people who borrowed recklessness to jump on the bankers housing boom and people who did the right thing[according to the Government saved their money]are being punished with no return on there savings. Its another case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Wait and watch the local situation is already pushing down prices as the clock is wound backwards.

Very interesting point about having money. That might be the answer if you earn above 26 thousand ( this being the threshold for the amount of benefits you can clam, you should pay a percentage of what you earn to your rent. I wonder how that would go down??

HOW F* * * KING MUCH?

Very interesting point about having money. That might be the answer if you earn above 26 thousand ( this being the threshold for the amount of benefits you can clam, you should pay a percentage of what you earn to your rent. I wonder how that would go down??

HOW F* * * KING MUCH?

A little more than the average wage in Shetland.

http://www.channel4.com/news/council-housing-ministers-defend-tenancy-limits

It is my understand that housing law is that a short assured tenancy automatically becomes an assured tenancy after 6 months (whatever the tenancy agreement says) and the rights of the tenant mean that they can only be evicted in very specific circumstances.

Shelter has good information on this.

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/renting_rights

Just wanted to share my story about trying to get a council property so we could save to build. I called up just to enquire about the chances of this and was told in my current situations (I was pregant and our short tenancy was ending) it could be up to 6 years. I was then asked if my partner and I were staying together - strange question I thought. So I said yes we were together. The person on the end of the phone said that was a shame as I would probably get something quickly and would be able to get housing benefit to pay the rent. My partners parents kindly let us move in so we could save to build. I know things have moved on (I myself was a Housing Officer for 3 years) and I don't think anyone in the Housing service at the SIC now would say such a thing. But the message then was clear, lie - get a property, claim benefit and you will be fine. I wonder how many people have to split up so that they have a chance of getting a home in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK. How can that be good for families?