Praise for the SIC.

farmer

With all the cuts and complaints about the Council, I would like to heap praise for a change - at least on one group of employees.

Having strolled through the Jubilee Flower Park on King Harald Street yesterday, it made me proud to see the spring flowers showing colour, all beautifully planted. In addition, the lawn edges are immaculately trimmed, the paths are weed free, the bowling green is nicely cut and there is hardly a weed to be seen anywhere in the park.

It is a pity that more people do not venture into this "hidden" jewel in Lerwick and appreciate the work done by the few staff.

With all the cuts and complaints about the Council, I would like to heap praise for a change - at least on one group of employees.

Having strolled through the Jubilee Flower Park on King Harald Street yesterday, it made me proud to see the spring flowers showing colour, all beautifully planted. In addition, the lawn edges are immaculately trimmed, the paths are weed free, the bowling green is nicely cut and there is hardly a weed to be seen anywhere in the park.

It is a pity that more people do not venture into this "hidden" jewel in Lerwick and appreciate the work done by the few staff.

Were the toilets open... ?

Much more important IMHO. Wouldn't want to get done for taking a leak in the daffodils... :D

I wouldn't know the difference between a "good", "bad" or "indifferent" "garden" - flowers aren't my thing, but its good to know that those who do appreciate such things see a job well done

I think it would be fair to say though that for the most part council staff who get out there and get their hands dirty delivering an end job to the public, whatever their role, tend to try and do their best to provide a good service. Its when you get entangled in the apparent legions of desk bound paper shufflers, few of whom it ever becomes apparent what it is that their role is, nor what they actually do is intended to achieve, apart from inventing and following procedures with no other obvious purpose than to attempt to justify the need for their own position, that complaints inevitably follow.

another bit of praise

the state of the roads on Shetland are far superior to the mainland

I agree 100%. Just been to Aberdeen and the roads were appalling. The potholes were enormous and the poor Red Cross bus driver could see me wince while he did his best to avoid them or go slowly across. The place looks like a dump compared to Shetland/Lerwick. A neglected dump.