Redd Up

owre-weel

It never fails to amaze me that nearly a fifth of our community are willing to turn out to clear our beaches, ditches and verges etc of litter each year.

According to the Times, nearly 4000 folk are signed up this year. This has to be one of the best and most supported community initiatives in the Uk.

Despite this effort each year, it is so sad to walk along our roads and still see the ditches full of discarded rubbish, likely thrown from passing cars. I often put a carrier bag in my pocket, and rarely return home without several bits of rubbish in it.

To those who thoughtlessly throw out your rubbish I ask that you give some thought to those who have to come behind you and clear it up. Please just take it home with you. And to the 4000 volunteers a heartfull thanks for your time and efforts in keeping our islands looking its best.

I too think its great the amount of people offering to turn out and help clear up the island is fantantic.

For those that are unable to offer much time could I also say ,I know people don't have to and its's their own gardens etc but perhaps people could look around their own little area, garden and house and tidy up any loose items that could possibly blow around and end up in ditches verges etc , untie any bits of plastic that get caught around fencing etc and just do a general tidy up and bin any litter you see along the way, just also helps the volounteers that do a great job and even more could join in just by doing their own little patch which wouldn't take huge amount of time :wink:

Its amazing what does end up on verges or dykes etc regularly picking bits of plastic play equipment and broken plastic buckets etc that comes from other peoples gardens etc.

Nice to see so many that do care about what Shetland looks like especially comming into the Summer , great job.

I wonder of the companies of Shetland who have disgusting premises viewable from the road should be named and shamed? Walking from COPE nursery to Gremista the other day... terrible!

Isn't the COPE Nursery at Gremista? Ghostie and I have just google earthed the area and honestly, given that a lot of it is industrial, what do you expect? Compared to many industrial estates, some are quite brightly coloured.

Isn't the COPE Nursery at Gremista? Ghostie and I have just google earthed the area and honestly, given that a lot of it is industrial, what do you expect? Compared to many industrial estates, some are quite brightly coloured.

OK from the COPE nursery northwards towards Leasks garage. And I don't know how new google earth images are, but the place I passed looked like an inner city waste ground, rubbish everywhere. I would be ashamed if it was my business. I know it's industrial, but this was very very bad.

If the Shetland posts were aimed at me, sorry, I couldn't understand :)

Just realised I've taken it a bit off topic, sorry :(

^ If its just rubbish lying around rather than poorly presented premises, that can come and go pretty quickly, but fair point too much of it for too long isn't the best. Hodge caught no end of flack for rubbish around his shed when he was there, so I don't see an issue wth naming, but whether or not the Mods agree with me is a whole other can of worms :wink: . Given that there's only a handful of businesses between Cope and Leasks it might be better to state the culprit(s) as not to with such a small number runs the risk of all getting tarred with the same brush.

Don't worry about the Shetland posts, its was just a bit of OT turd slinging between the posters.

Given that there's only a handful of businesses between Cope and Leasks it might be better to state the culprit(s) as not to with such a small number runs the risk of all getting tarred with the same brush.

Very minor point but it's COPE (Community Opportunities for Participation in Enterprise) you're referring to, not Cope. That's wis! ;) (no connection)

I drive by there just about every there and I can't say I notice anything particularly bad from the car. A couple of the places are in a stse of flux because of building work. The place where Shetland Transport have their trailers was being used by the contractor for Shetland Kinetics factory and T & N Joinery have been slowly upgrading the area outside their premises to make it better.