Brae Graveyard vandalism

Frances144

I hope the folk who vandalised the graveyard at Brae rot in hell.

What you have done is disrespectful and utterly disgraceful.

Have you any idea how much hurt and upset you have caused?

Probably not, because I doubt you read this thread.

I hope you are caught and I hope you get what you deserve.

Not hi the headlines yet but this is an extract from a friends status on Facebook -

"If anyone knows who was responsible for the disrespectful and heartless vandalism of the graveyard in Brae please please turn them in. I have only just heard about it and found out that they have taken all of the toys/gifts left on my little brothers grave. These things have no financial value - but plenty of sentimental value. I feel for any others that have been affected by these sick people and hope that they get caught and named and shamed for the hurt they have caused is irreparable! As if losing someone isn't enough to go through!"

Sad state of affairs

Well I've seen some things since I moved here but I'm shocked that this level of disgusting behavior has reached Shetland.

This needs to be featured in the local press for all to see and, hopefully, someone will turn the perpetrators in.

And Biglad, Blaming the parents is a cliché. Blaming the person, especially in a small community is a far more effective deterrent.

Frances144, I would be happy to contribute £50 towards a reward that could be offered to anyone that can supply information that will bring those responsible to justice. feel free to PM me if you wish.

Well I've seen some things since I moved here but I'm shocked that this level of disgusting behavior has reached Shetland.

This needs to be featured in the local press for all to see and, hopefully, someone will turn the perpetrators in.

And Biglad, Blaming the parents is a cliché. Blaming the person, especially in a small community is a far more effective deterrent.

Frances144, I would be happy to contribute £50 towards a reward that could be offered to anyone that can supply information that will bring those responsible to justice. feel free to PM me if you wish.

Totally agree.

Another £50 towards a reward waiting here, PM me if you wish.

While the passage copied and pasted from Facebook paints a worrying and unacceptable picture, it lacks much detail to reach a conclusion upon.

Can we assume that the graveyard maintenance people have been contacted concerning this, as it is my understanding that they routinely clear away non-durable/non-fixed grave tributes after they have been in place for an "appropriate" period and before they start to look shabby/break up/blow around. I seem to recall something similar to this coming up either on here or somewhere else in the local media a few years back with someone alleging that tributes had been stolen, but when further enquiries were made it turned out they'd been removed as part of routine maintenance.

I'm not trying to belittle the act *if* indeed some toerag(s) have been messing in a graveyard, but it strikes me that on the info given assumptions are being made on the grounds of not much.

I beg to differ.

I personally know one of the families involved. I phoned them last night to give my sincere condolences and to offer help or an ear to listen at least. I also asked their permission if I could put this on Shetlink and had their approval.

My heart goes out to them. The whole family are devastated and shocked. I don't think I can really accurately describe how they feel. Words don't seem enough somehow.

I can pass on your kind offers of money for a reward to find the perpetrators and will let you know their reply. I cannot speak for them or on their behalf.

The police are aware of this crime.

The story will be in the Shetland Times this Friday I believe. One of the affected families lives near me, and I know that the police are involved.

I think it is unlikely that someone has 'tidied up' items that havd been there for teens of years, and are securely pinned down.

Atrocious behaviour, and I hope the individuals are caught quickly.

I don't see any need to criticise most young people, it is blatantly unfair and inaccurate. I have seen some of Shetland's young people posting on Facebook about this very issue - sensitive and mature posts from a generation which, according to biglad are mostly undisciplined.

The story will be in the Shetland Times this Friday I believe. One of the affected families lives near me, and I know that the police are involved.

I think it is unlikely that someone has 'tidied up' items that havd been there for teens of years, and are securely pinned down.

Thankyou. Had this been stated in the OP, questions would have been un-necessary.

Atrocious behaviour, and I hope the individuals are caught quickly.

Amen.

It is a sad day when graveyards and items of a sentimental value are tampered with. The people who did this have given little thought to the hurt they would cause folk close to those who's graves have been vandalised.

Big lad, I agree that a few parents seem to have little control over their offspring, but its important not to tar all young folk with the same stick.

I doubt if Shetland has suddenly become such a bad place as some have suggested, due to the careless actions of a minority of idiots.

Lets hope they are brought to rights.