Brae Graveyard vandalism

Frances144

I too find this disgusting and will add to any reward offered.

There will also be a lot of people at this very moment who actually know who the guilty persons are.

The persons will also be feeling very guilty at the moment and it will gnaw at their guts for a long time maybe for ever.

Name them and shame them.

Even better would be that the criminals quietly show how brave they are by going and apologising to the families concerned.

regards,

Rex.

I have just come off the phone to one of the members of the families involved. They knew I was putting this thread up on Shetlink and I told them about some of the kind offers of rewards towards finding the perpetrators of this heinous crime.

They wanted to say a huge thank you to you and to say how humbled they felt by this gesture.

I am only the messenger but it meant a great deal to them to know that folk were thinking of them and were offering a means of trying to help.

"Thank you very much"

SIBC news is reporting that two "Children" have been identified as being responsible for the damage.
And SIBC say "Minor Damage"........can Shetlink give us the truth?.

The official line is that "Two children have been identified as being responsible for minor damage to the grave stones".

So one presumes by omission of further info, that as yet unidentified other(s) are responsible for whatever else may have been done.

http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-happening/news/2013/april/164147/

• 4 weeks later...

Kids have always done stupid and thoughtless things.

Bottom Line- they need a smack then made to sit down in front of the families they have affected and explain themselves. They might learn that actions have consequences.

There are no consequences now for misbehaviour, teachers and support workers are scared to even give verbal warnings for fear of reprisals (either from false allegations or stupid violent parents).

I ken what my grandpa would have said about this (he was a policeman) - If he had caught the kids he would have given them a smack round the side of the head then dragged them to their parents who would have made damn sure that they were punished.

Kids have always done stupid and thoughtless things.

Bottom Line- they need a smack then made to sit down in front of the families they have affected and explain themselves. They might learn that actions have consequences.

There are no consequences now for misbehaviour, teachers and support workers are scared to even give verbal warnings for fear of reprisals (either from false allegations or stupid violent parents).

I ken what my grandpa would have said about this (he was a policeman) - If he had caught the kids he would have given them a smack round the side of the head then dragged them to their parents who would have made damn sure that they were punished.

Totally agree!

Yup, inflicting pain on children is the only way, How Kin Backward is that.

In theory, pain is very short term and soon forgotten, unless of course you want to "punish" infants and children further so as the pain is there a wee bit longer. Now, I wonder if any folk reading this stopped their naughtiness because they were beaten as a child. Erm, not many.

and he would have been sacked up before the sheriff ect. things have changed

And not necessarily for the better. Would the OP still wish the perpetrators to go to hell, bearing in mind at least two of them are children? In fact, looking back at several comments on this thread, where's rehabilitation? And is this trial by media and vigilante justice by offering a reward to help catch those who did these acts? Surely if people saw something they would come forward regardless ... or is it a case of that someone would 'have a word'/clip around the ears behind the scenes?

A whip round to replace the headstones is one thing but a reward?