Lerwick town alcohol ban

stella

I was wondering with Lerwick having a ban and possible £500 fine for drinking alcohol anywhere in the town, does this mean that even on a sunny day you are not allowed to sit on the beach at Sound and drink a cold beer?

ps please save your comments about not getting any sunny days

A local bye-law prohibits the public consumption of alcohol within the Lerwick Community Council area
Took me ages to find this and I found nothing recent despite spending quite a while on the internet. I have got a feeling that the bye-law actually says that an offence is committed if a person does not stop drinking when requested to do so by a police officer. Maybe you could ask at the Lerwick Police Station.

Of course the bye law was never designed to stop people discretely enjoying a beer in the sunshine and since visiting yachts often have people drinking within sight of the Esplanade the law was badly thought out anyway and seems to be poorly enforced. Maybe something the new council could look at replacing with something better.

I guess discretely is the word. Sitting quietly with a couple of friends won't draw attention. A dozen people singing and shouting will.

Surely this is not the point either its legal or not, surpossing a dozen of us want to sit on the beach drinking beer and singing songs in the sun shine round the barbie next thing we know the SWAT team have surrounded us

Of course the bye law was never designed to stop people discretely enjoying a beer in the sunshine and since visiting yachts often have people drinking within sight of the Esplanade the law was badly thought out anyway .

And how is it that visitor on yachts can sit around the town centre drinking but the locals cant

They did not get the bye law passed the first time, so just did what the EU does and tried again till they got the result they wanted. Its a stupid bye law, you hardly ever saw anyone drinking on the streets, they allready had laws they could use if it ever was a problem, but just wanted to infringe more of the publics rights.

I windered aboot dis asweel, If two fok wir sittin at da market cross , wan drinkin black rum fae a teacup an wan drinkin mineral water fae a red tin I wid think dat da wan on da mineral water wid be the wan buddered by da police.Mibee da bylaw concerns promotion o drink redder dan actual sensible drinking but dat is joost da wye I tink they ir meanin it tae be.So black rum fae a teacup at da sands o Soond is mibee a possibility??

Of course the bye law was never designed to stop people discretely enjoying a beer in the sunshine and since visiting yachts often have people drinking within sight of the Esplanade the law was badly thought out anyway .

And how is it that visitor on yachts can sit around the town centre drinking but the locals cant

I guess because they are not in the town but on the water. Stupid unnecessary and unwanted law. Presumably means anyone can jump into the small boat harbour and start drinking.

I guess because they are not in the town but on the water. Stupid unnecessary and unwanted law. Presumably means anyone can jump into the small boat harbour and start drinking.

Just beat me to it :P

A yacht would be private property - not a public place. Step onto the jetty and that situation would change.

In the same vein, if someone was to sit in their own yard in the affected area and have a tinny - it's nowt to do with anyone. Sit on the pavement outside your house and you're fair game.

Yes I notice it is from Shurton Brae on the south road to Sutherland Brae on the north road so the whole of the Lerwick area including all breaches harbours, marinas and peat banks,

I wonder what the statistics are re-guarding the number of people fined and the amounts over the 5 or so years its been in force

The pier is LPA property so the drinking ban doesn't apply

It only applies to local authority ground. Private property and LPA land is exempt.

I think the area outside the Peerie shop cafe is private and exempt and maybe where the tables used to be outside Flints.

I'm pretty sure that only alcohol purchased from the licensed premises can be consumed there though.