L&R Ground Force LTD

I thought i would have to leave a comment on this, as an engineer myself i am disgusted by the level of workmanship done by these guys. Block paving looks ok but i haven't seen how they have been laid but there tie-ins to the pavements is atrocious, they are using cold tar for this but due to this all these driveway owners will find that this cold tar joints will eat out very quickly if they are driving over it every day! Hot tar should be installed in any ties in, and the whole pavement should probably be replaced in most cases (from the ones i have seen)

Folk shouldn't be paying more than £80 / m2 (all in) for the drives i have seen so measure your own drives before you accept a quote.

these work men that are getting all this praise obviously are allowing it to go to their heads.. the family have been banned from numerous places for theft and abusing staff so its maybe time people realised they aren't the nice people they are pretending to be.

These pikeys are just going blitz shetland, take the money away from our economy after not paying any taxes or VAT. FACT. Yet we have to pay all our taxes and VAT for them to be here. Disgrace. Should be thrown off the island.

On a different note whilst walking up cockatoo brae on sat night to go watch the cup final at the gibby, these guys were 'working' around the house on the left as you go up. Now there were 3 or 4 guys there, 2 of which were intoxicated (whilst working) and another was a very well known dealer and all round not nice guy. Embarrassing.

These pikeys are just going blitz shetland, take the money away from our economy after not paying any taxes or VAT. FACT. Yet we have to pay all our taxes and VAT for them to be here. Disgrace. Should be thrown off the island.

Finally someone who can see them for what they really are.. just a bunch of thieving abusive gypsys

I thought i would have to leave a comment on this, as an engineer myself i am disgusted by the level of workmanship done by these guys.

i haven't seen how they have been laid

Aye, go for it Mr Brain.

Why would you pick that out? I said i was disgusted with the way in which they carry out the tie ins. As they are a respected contractor i can only assume they are laying the block paving the way they have been 'taught' to lay them, at pikey school. Because they are so good that will obviously know that they should be laid as per below

http://www.pavingexpert.com/images/blocks/cbp_x-section09.jpg

Surely someone on here that has had there drive done will be able to confirm that it has been done this way?

Mark my words there will be unhappy customers in a years time, and the pikeys will be long gone by then.

I said i was disgusted with the way in which they carry out the tie ins.

No, you didn't. You said you were disgusted by the level of workmanship then admitted you hadn't even seen how part of it had been carried out.

One thing that IS disgusting is the abusive, racist terminology used by both yourself and sarahp1993.

well i for one get workmen in and around my house. personally i dont give 2 hoots if the pay VAT or not. thats between them and the tax man. i cant beleive any traidsman has never done a chash in hand homer.

As I've said before I've seen their work and the end result are excelent.

and they turn up when they say they will - not so great with local firms.

Local firms rather then moaning about the loss of trade why not buck up and offer the same kind of service. then you might get more customers.

their all in prices seem to be good too, with no added suprises at the end of the job

One thing that IS disgusting is the abusive, racist terminology used by both yourself and sarahp1993.

Please do tell me when I was racist or abusive, and to be frank with you after the level of abuse me and my co-worker received from these workmen I find it difficult to say a nice word about them.

I called them Gypsy's and I do believe that is how they refer to themselves.

The end result may look excellent but take it from a boy that's done a lot of drives and roads, it's pretty hard to make it look awful right away so while it looks grand for the first few month the real tale is how it looks in a year or two.

Every summer we get a good dozen or so driveway jobs which are repairs and corrective actions to works done in the last 2-3 years and the most common problems are a non compacted base, too thin stone layer and too thin tar layer. These are problems that only become apparent after running back and forth over it for a while. So I'm not going to jump and down laughing at anyone should their drive turn to crap but I will say take a cautious approach to how strenuously you argue that the work was carried out well, it may only appear that way at the moment. The proof is in how they respond to requests for repairs should they be necessary.

I would also say that not all the driveways we fix were done by travellers, plenty of firms will take on to do surfacing without having the relevant experience or knowledge to carry out the works to a high standard.

The end result may look excellent but take it from a boy that's done a lot of drives and roads, it's pretty hard to make it look awful right away so while it looks grand for the first few month the real tale is how it looks in a year or two.

Every summer we get a good dozen or so driveway jobs which are repairs and corrective actions to works done in the last 2-3 years and the most common problems are a non compacted base, too thin stone layer and too thin tar layer. These are problems that only become apparent after running back and forth over it for a while. So I'm not going to jump and down laughing at anyone should their drive turn to crap but I will say take a cautious approach to how strenuously you argue that the work was carried out well, it may only appear that way at the moment. The proof is in how they respond to requests for repairs should they be necessary.

I would also say that not all the driveways we fix were done by travellers, plenty of firms will take on to do surfacing without having the relevant experience or knowledge to carry out the works to a high standard.

AGREED.

I said i was disgusted with the way in which they carry out the tie ins.

No, you didn't. You said you were disgusted by the level of workmanship then admitted you hadn't even seen how part of it had been carried out.

Abusive and racist, heard it all now. if it makes you feel better i will use the term gypsy from now on, its definition is below.

'An itinerant person or any person suspected of making a living from dishonest practices or theft'

sarahp1993 - I think you will find you have used racist terminology You have collectively referred to them as thieving gypsies, that is referring to the group as a whole, of which there are thousands in the UK and Ireland.

The families that are here will not refer to themselves as gypsy, as they are travellers. Big difference. You may have had a bad experience with members of this community but it does not mean you tar a whole ethnic race with an insulting name.

I have had dealings with travellers my whole life mostly positive, I have also had a small number of negative experiences with travellers, but I have also had negative experiences with Shetlanders, Glaswegians, Dubliners, Irish, English, Scottish, Europeans, World citizens...it happens, negative individuals are all over. Maybe a little bit of research before making sweeping statements would go in your favour next time

:wink:

i agree trout that its getting off track.

leave it open and we will see if there drives cope with wear.

however calling a group lets say pikeys thieving drunks. is racist. there may well be drunks and thieves in the traveller/ gypsy community however to lump them as a whole then becomes racist.

we have two lots of stories. the customers who seem happy and some that have issues with them.

im still suspicious of workmen touting for work has always meant no to me.

lets see later how it turns out