Lamb Castration- Should I or not?

Hi All,

I'm directing this to the experienced crofters of Shetland.

I'm really undecided about which direction to go with this year's Hog lambs.

With welfare issues close to my heart, I wish to cause less discomfort for my produce, however, from what I can tell, nearly everyone rings their lambs here.

The first hogs have now arrived and I intend to sell them on by End of September at the latest. If I keep them intact, will it affect saleability and price?

I would prefer to see them slaughtered and consumed locally to reduce further welfare issues and reduce food miles.

What are your thoughts?

Leaving them uncastrated will destroy the saleability and price in most cases.

Much will depend on the breed and market(s) you plan to use, but generally speaking only a small percenatage of lambs are ready for slaughter by the end of September so most are sold to the store market for further growing on, and buyers in that sector do not want uncastrated young male stock.

While you may view castration of male lambs at a very young age a discomfort issue, I'm afraid dealers and buyers in the store market consider having to keep young male and female stock seperate a labour/profit issue, and the alternative of risking running all together and possibly finding females among them in the early stages of pregnancy when slaughtered, an animal welfare issue. So the vast majority just leave well alone.

done at the right time. and in the right place the ones we have done have not shown any obvious symptoms of pain. however two that we left to long and had the vet do them surgically did suffer in fact one died the day after. get a local crofter to teach you how and were to put the ring.

another reason for doing it is ram taint. it really can spoil the meat.

• 1 year later...