fog lights

when do you switch yours on

driving home to-night i noticed very few cars had their fog lights on.

it was quite thick, visibility down to maybe 10 yards in places

I was wondering what the position in law is i.e who decides if you are at fault for not having your lights on or off

i'll throw it open for discussion

Off the Gov. website:-

"235

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)

keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security

be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster

use your windscreen wipers and demisters

beware of other drivers not using headlights

not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you

check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down

stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27"

-----

Front fog lights are not compulsory but you have to have at least one rear fog light. There ya go!

There are so many folk out there that seem to think it is necessary to switch on their fog lights as soon as they get in their cars. Not sure if they think it makes them look "cool" or it is just plain ignorance.

There are also the tubes that don't switch them on when they should.

Like most things, unless there is a crack down nothing will change. Very hard to change bad habits.

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles (except trailers).

DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.

You may have already seen DRLs out on the road - many manufacturers such as Audi have fitted them to new models. They can usually be found just below the car's main headlights, and normally switch on with the vehicle ignition and off when the vehicle sidelights are turned on.

Found this article in Halfords website

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced

what i was trying to say was who decides or how do you decide visibility is seriously reduced?

i might decide 50 yards is reasonable person a might say 100 yards and person b 25 yards

could you argue in court that you didn't think visibility was seriously reduced if mr plod stood upand said it was

My driving instructed always said if you need your wipers on you should have your lights on.

That can be a tad OTT IMHO. You can get blinded by the headlights reflecting on the rainy surface - something my driving instructor pointed out. Look at how many rainbows we get up here, for example - cloudy, raining yet bright sunshine!

There seems to be some in Shetland who put their headlights, never mind fog lights, on for the teeny weeniest bit of cloud cover and others who never put them on even when blooming pitch black! I admit that having a light coloured car I'll put mine on when the light starts to fade but seriously, I've seen headlights on in total broad daylight with the sun shining and everything, and no, these were on older cars and not models with the automatic ones.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced

what i was trying to say was who decides or how do you decide visibility is seriously reduced?

i might decide 50 yards is reasonable person a might say 100 yards and person b 25 yards

could you argue in court that you didn't think visibility was seriously reduced if mr plod stood upand said it was

No doubt they would refer to the regulations I quoted above.

100m or less.

Rule 226. See above.

My driving instructed always said if you need your wipers on you should have your lights on.

That can be a tad OTT IMHO. You can get blinded by the headlights reflecting on the rainy surface - something my driving instructor pointed out. Look at how many rainbows we get up here, for example - cloudy, raining yet bright sunshine!

There seems to be some in Shetland who put their headlights, never mind fog lights, on for the teeny weeniest bit of cloud cover and others who never put them on even when blooming pitch black! I admit that having a light coloured car I'll put mine on when the light starts to fade but seriously, I've seen headlights on in total broad daylight with the sun shining and everything, and no, these were on older cars and not models with the automatic ones.

I can understand that, to be honest. I have to admit I automatically switch the lights on as soon as I start the engine! Next car will have day light running lights...

Fog lights however only go on when required.

Head lights can be used all day as long as they are dipped. They do also aid visibility in bright sunshine, you have more chance of them being seen if you are driving away from a low sun. The drivers driving into the sun will be able to pick them out.

Basically, common sense prevails.

How else could you ensure folk use common sense, especially if the regulations do not work. As with all the threads on here about drivers, you should accommodate other road users. If you do not, then your driving skills could be questioned.