fog lights

when do you switch yours on

i noticed very few cars had their fog lights on.

I was wondering what the position in law is i.e who decides if you are at fault for not having your lights on or off

There is no legal requirement to use your fog lights, indeed many cars don't have front ones.

The only requirement is for turning them off when visibility improves.

This is the official line on lights in fog

https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/overview-226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

The worst thing they ever put on a vehicle because no one knows how and when to use them. Rule of thumb, if you can see a vehicles head lights in your rear view mirror "TURN YOUR FOG LIGHTS OFF" because you will only blind the driver, Simple it’s called driving your car, know what’s going on around you. As for front so called fog lights, turn the dam things off. As a motorcyclist when riding in low light and wet roads, the water droplets on the visor is magnified by oncoming headlights and these drivers who think that the front fog lights are a fashion accessory make it even worse.

Rant Over

Urabug .. Sorry I have to disagree, I have driven trucks and coaches for 33years all over Europe they dazzel no matter where you are seated and I believe the normal every day driver should never have to use their fog lights as they would be in a situation were there is traffic all around them.

John the answer to your initial question, if visability is bad and you cant see a vehicle behind you switch on your fog lights but as soon as you see the headlights of a vehicle turn them off because they may not see your brake lights and run up the ass of you. I've seen this all to often .. I think I'm gona sell my wing John... Another project !!!

Urabug .. Sorry I have to disagree, I have driven trucks and coaches for 33years all over Europe they dazzel no matter where you are seated and I believe the normal every day driver should never have to use their fog lights as they would be in a situation were there is traffic all around them.

Well Karlos it's probably better to be dazzled than comei face to face with someone with no lights at all.

There is many things that influence one's driveing ,nothing worse than the sun in the early morning ,or as it sets at night .

Now that can really dazzle :roll:

But that's the whole idea of fog lights to let the vehicle behind know you are there in time for you to re-act like slow down and keep a safe distance , it is then then the driver of the lead vehicle to turn off their lights as they have done the job of warning; hense "fog warning lights" SIMPLES !!!

But that's the whole idea of fog lights to let the vehicle behind know you are there in time for you to re-act like slow down and keep a safe distance , it is then then the driver of the lead vehicle to turn off their lights as they have done the job of warning; hense "fog warning lights" SIMPLES !!!

Karlos - you've lost me there (highlighted in bold above).

Karlos is absolutely correct in his summary of when to use foglights and how leaving them on can cause more problems than it solves.

My pet hate are those drivers who just put on sidelights in fog, inevitably you see the car before the lights...so a complete waste of time.