fog lights

Anyone explain why the breaking distances that used to be on the back of the highway code are not there now? Perhaps they are misleading!

Dunno, SP.

They're still alive and kicking on P42 though. :)

Or maybe they couldn't stop in time and fell off the end of the last page :P

The UK Gov web site and the highway code both state that the breaking distance from 60mph is 180ft, that's just breaking distance not including thinking time. A modern car like a Ford Focus will stop from 60mph in 110ft, sometimes even official documents, procedures and guidance can be based on outdated or even incorrect information.

If I had a quid for every time I've heard that, Clooty.....

The distances were set some time ago, agreed. But the figure has to be one that all drivers and cars can work with under normal road conditions. Quoting an individual cars' performance under fairly ideal conditions doesn't wash.

If you wind back through the thread, you'll notice that I've tried to avoid discussing stopping/braking distances as they are arbitrary figures that are of fairly limited use (could you pace out 240ft accurately?), plus it doesn't compute in traffic (which is what we are talking about). That's why I keep mentioning the 'two second rule' (or four in the wet). Much more useful in a traffic situation.

If you can't see sodall because it is so bad? Then ensure you can always stop in the distance you can see to be clear.....

Quoting one cars breaking stats may not wash with you but even you can't deny that the overwhelming majority of cars on the road now, lets say from 1990 onwards, have the ability to stop from a set speed in a distance greatly reduced from those you'll see in the Highway Code.

Anyway I shouldn't have used the Highway Code breaking stats in my last post as it doesnt do anything to help put my point across. What I was hoping to get across was exactly what you say in the end of your post, if you always ensure you've left enough space between you and the car in front then the chances of an accident occurring because of a fog light / break light mix up are reduced somewhat.

The UK Gov web site and the highway code both state that the breaking distance from 60mph is 180ft, that's just breaking distance not including thinking time. A modern car like a Ford Focus will stop from 60mph in 110ft, sometimes even official documents, procedures and guidance can be based on outdated or even incorrect information.

If I had a quid for every time I've heard that, Clooty.....

The distances were set some time ago, agreed. But the figure has to be one that all drivers and cars can work with under normal road conditions. Quoting an individual cars' performance under fairly ideal conditions doesn't wash.

If you wind back through the thread, you'll notice that I've tried to avoid discussing stopping/braking distances as they are arbitrary figures that are of fairly limited use (could you pace out 240ft accurately?), plus it doesn't compute in traffic (which is what we are talking about). That's why I keep mentioning the 'two second rule' (or four in the wet). Much more useful in a traffic situation.

If you can't see sodall because it is so bad? Then ensure you can always stop in the distance you can see to be clear.....

Quoting one cars breaking stats may not wash with you but even you can't deny that the overwhelming majority of cars on the road now, lets say from 1990 onwards, have the ability to stop from a set speed in a distance greatly reduced from those you'll see in the Highway Code.

Anyway I shouldn't have used the Highway Code breaking stats in my last post as it doesnt do anything to help put my point across. What I was hoping to get across was exactly what you say in the end of your post, if you always ensure you've left enough space between you and the car in front then the chances of an accident occurring because of a fog light / break light mix up are reduced somewhat.

Agreed, absolutely.

But sometimes you have very little control over what is happening around you and circumstances conspire against you. When that happens, anything you or another vehicle can do to minimise risk to all involved has to be a good thing.

Going back to HC quoted distances (going off topic, I know). It's a pretty common criticism/observation.

The argument that says modern cars are capable of stopping in a shorter distance through improved braking systems is sometimes countered by the argument that modern cars weigh twice as much as their 1960/70's counterparts (Ford Cortina 750kg -ish, Focus 1300kg) thus negating some of the improved capabilities and that modern quoted figures are from manufacturers under ideal conditions on a pre-planned level stop, not Joe Bloke having a gluff and slapping the anchors on to avoid a kid whilst going down a steep hill.

Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'my car can stop in a shorter length than that' argument can lead to over confidence in a cars capabilities and less reliance on assessing the actual situation that is developing. Same as some drivers unfailing belief that ABS is an anti-skid device or that 4wd is a cloak of invincibility in snow...... :shock:

And I reckon that's really why the figures have never been reduced.

• 5 months later...

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

So what some of you are saying is, when you come out of a fog bank you leave the fog lights on because you don't know where the switch is, RUBBISH! Don't drive the car until you familarise your self with the the vehicle. "sorry officer I drove 20 miles without lights on because I couldn't find the switch" will not go down well. There is no need what so ever to leave your fog lights on if there is a vehicle behind you, beleive me they can see you.

An example, I was following a coach and 4 cars I too was driving a coach, we hit a thick fog bank approaching the halfway house. The cars were probably just and I mean just within a safe stopping distance, I know I would be in a position to stop. The coach driver switched on his fog lights (why I will never know), all 4 cars hit the brakes , only one vehicle in that group  needed to use fog lights and I did as there was no one behind.

Take a trip on the M6 in the Midlands and see what its like to drive behind tens of mindless drivers with fog lights who do not give a dam about anyone else but themselves.