Proposed Cafe Opposite Tesco's

unlinkedstudent

Should it go ahead?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should it go ahead?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't give a stuff

Great idea and I'm sure the folk living out the south end will appreciate it as there is a lack of this kind of facility in that area. My fear, as someone else has pointed out, is that Tesco undoubtedly will open up there own cafe in the future and undercut it putting another business out the ar5e :wink:

Who are the owners?

That's what got me, who are the owners of the land. Do they propose building on part of the old road; if so, then surely that belongs to the SIC and shouldn't that have been advertised for sale? I can't figure out from the planning application whether the owners of the land are SIC, Tesco's and the fire authority ... or if that is just notifying them as neighbours. What concerns me is the change to the public right of way and whether or not that refers to just road access or access on foot and to where, the shore or what?

ChuckNorris, the owner of the cafe is stated on the planning application.

Oh, and SP, as for your comment "It is also a little to early to make any reasonable judgements with out the relevant consultations being in place" - well, isn't this the same information that will be put before the Planning Committee?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really need a fancy building?

Blow it, landscape the area, whack a few picnic tables with seats down (secured), and have a portable old burger van type thingy - who wants a panini in a posh building when you can have a good old bacon/sausage/sassermaet roll (egg optional) and tea/coffee in a plastic container and experience the sea splashing on ya cheeks ... not to mention the old maa nicking ya chips!

Onybody going around da roundaboot at Tescos wi one o Shetland's worst winter storms can surely hae da wit ta keen yuns no da best place ta make a cafe. Wis dir no a section o wall destroyed dare a year or twa back?

Great idea and I'm sure the folk living out the south end will appreciate it as there is a lack of this kind of facility in that area. My fear, as someone else has pointed out, is that Tesco undoubtedly will open up there own cafe in the future and undercut it putting another business out the ar5e :wink:

Who are the owners?

That's what got me, who are the owners of the land. Do they propose building on part of the old road; if so, then surely that belongs to the SIC and shouldn't that have been advertised for sale? I can't figure out from the planning application whether the owners of the land are SIC, Tesco's and the fire authority ... or if that is just notifying them as neighbours. What concerns me is the change to the public right of way and whether or not that refers to just road access or access on foot and to where, the shore or what?

When roads cease to be part of the network they go back to the landowner.

There used to be a cafe in the supermarket when it first opened but it closed years ago and got converted to selling space.

When roads cease to be part of the network they go back to the landowner.

There used to be a cafe in the supermarket when it first opened but it closed years ago and got converted to selling space.

The road isn't stopped up so is still part of the network, the stopping up is proposed as part of the development.

The council allowed 3 caravans on this site many years ago.

They were badly damaged in a storm & only one was re-instated which was occupied by a well known person with a drink problem.

If I remember correctly things came to a head when a murder was commited on or near this location.

Never mind fresh seaweed should be available on the menu very cheap!

Looking at the plans,it's no very big !

Oh, and SP, as for your comment "It is also a little to early to make any reasonable judgements with out the relevant consultations being in place" - well, isn't this the same information that will be put before the Planning Committee?

Er, no. As I would not have said it.

Go check out some agendas for the planning committee, you may understand the format if you check. Yes this info is presented, but there are further reports, an officer/dept. recommendation and conditions.

It is also the norm for councils to off load certain parts of their portfolio, especially if the community can benefit, with no real cost to the council, but, I am sure if you ask the highways department, you may find that this small piece of land is unadopted.

thought there was a rule about not building within 5m of the sea level. as its recognized as at risk of flooding surely that disallows building there. there is no way they would get insurances.

If there is, perhaps one of you pop along to the meeting and raise it.

You can insure for anything, if you pay the right premiums, however, that is part of the business case and is not a planning issue.

No flat 5m ban - If you do a planning application for something below the 5m contour, you'll have to do a detailed flood risk assessment, which will look at the specific issues on that site.

Assuming I can link this time.... :?

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/planning/documents/WaterandDrainageSupplementaryGuidanceV7cjs6thSept..pdf

Otherwise it's on here

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/planning/LocalDevelopmentPlan.asp

Insurance may or may not be an issue, but it's a different issue.

is there really any need for anidder cafe in da toon? i thought the one that was in tesco/presto/morrisons/somerfield was closed because it wasnt making money as it was used so little, dont think i ever seen it busy, also yun is a ridiculous place to build, maybe they could hide it behind the sewage pumping station :roll:

is there really any need for anidder cafe in da toon? i thought the one that was in tesco/presto/morrisons/somerfield was closed because it wasnt making money as it was used so little, dont think i ever seen it busy, also yun is a ridiculous place to build, maybe they could hide it behind the sewage pumping station :roll:

Perhaps that is why they refer to it as being a cafe/bar?

@ SP - fair point re reports/recommendations from Planning Officers; I admit I'd forgotten about those.