unlinkedstudent

Should it go ahead?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should it go ahead?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't give a stuff

Good luck to them if they go ahead.

Can't help thinking it's gonna be pretty exposed at times in winter and that they're missing a trick in not providing outdoor seating and kids play areas for all the nice days we get, but probably not enough room on that site.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its a good idea, if folk want to give it a bash then let them, who would have thought a chipshop would have worked in Brae, but its worked.

so if someone thinks that can make a go of a business then they should be let to get on with it. its a shame tescos didnt build a cafe as i always go to them if im ever south.

lots of folk go out that area for walks etc and im sure it will be an excelent spot for a sunday walk and a half way cup of tea etc for old and young.

They could even open in the evening and fill it with kids/teenagers now that the youthclubs are starting to close down next???

They could even open in the evening and fill it with kids/teenagers now that the youthclubs are starting to close down next???

Given that it is a proposed cafe/bar and the reply from Environmental Health states they would need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, they might have to segregate the cafe area from the bar area perhaps? Me thinks they might have different ideas as opposed to letting teenagers hang out there in the evenings; after all, pints of lager tend to cost more than milkshakes and bottles of coke.

Given that it is a proposed cafe/bar and the reply from Environmental Health states they would need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, they might have to segregate the cafe area from the bar area perhaps? Me thinks they might have different ideas as opposed to letting teenagers hang out there in the evenings; after all, pints of lager tend to cost more than milkshakes and bottles of coke.

oh i missed the bit about a licence, then no to the kids. so its like mareels cafe bar then, a pub in the back door?

oh i missed the bit about a licence, then no to the kids. so its like mareels cafe bar then, a pub in the back door?

A cafe/bar is a lot more civilised than a pub. We're slowly moving from the situation where a pub was where men went to drink themselves stupid, to the continental idea where dad has a beer, mum has a coffee and the kids have juice.

I'm old enough to remember pubs where women were banned unless they were staff - lets not get back to that era.

A cafe/bar is a lot more civilised than a pub. We're slowly moving from the situation where a pub was where men went to drink themselves stupid, to the continental idea where dad has a beer, mum has a coffee and the kids have juice.

I'm old enough to remember pubs where women were banned unless they were staff - lets not get back to that era.

Should that read then: "... where dad has a beer, mum has a glass of wine and the kids have juice"? :wink: (Unless mum is driving)

The last thing that we need is another pub. They cause unecessary noise issues with landlords whining about Tesco undercutting them.

As far as Tesco opening a cafe of their own to muscle in, I heard that this was one of the agenda items at Tesco International HQ, Shelties having the brass neck to open a cafe next to our Lerwick Megastore, pah, nuke the buggers!

I think that south mainland has more than it's fair share of facilities with a real airport and buses on Sundays. No chip shops for you lot!

after reading the artical in the times, its other cafe/bar with a funny name and hopfully with better service. but joking apart the idea of new bright clean space, where you can go for a drink without being packed sholder to shoulder, blasted by loud music, norman prices with quick service so you spend time at your seat and not waiting to get served should/would be welcomed

So if the new owner goes aroung the bars in shetland and takes all the good bits from them, (god knows what that would be) then i think it could be rather good.

Almost all the bars are exactlly the same here, unchanged for decades, clearly they would not survived south, I think the lounge did apply to change, with an extention, but good old planning put a stop to that.

lot of them could do with a good clean, paint up and new flooring would be a start. although id rather have a wetherspoons or simler.

I saw this application about a week ago and in principle it's an excellent idea but the building will be very exposed in the winter gales. Never the less I wish it every success and it's great to see a bit of vision.

I've often thought a cafe half way up the old Staney Hill road would be a fantastic location with a stunning view but sadly the whole area is "no go" in terms of development.

Unless you're the SIC building a school..... :?

Can't see this making money in the wintertime.

Cafe bar eh?

Obviously we can expect howls of protest/public meetings from the licensed trade association on the basis that Lerwick can't sustain another drinking establishment and it'll lead to the closure of X number of pubs. Y'know, like they did when Mareel was being planned. Which has resulted in the closure of precisely nothing since being built.

Cafe bar eh?

Obviously we can expect howls of protest/public meetings from the licensed trade association on the basis that Lerwick can't sustain another drinking establishment and it'll lead to the closure of X number of pubs. Y'know, like they did when Mareel was being planned. Which has resulted in the closure of precisely nothing since being built.

it must have had some impact. there is a limit to the demand for drink the more venues then it must mean a reduced income for the others. however i can't see it having a big impact.

this new cafe/bar will it sell duty free when it floats away.