Proposed Cafe Opposite Tesco's

unlinkedstudent

Should it go ahead?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should it go ahead?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't give a stuff

Could folk park at Mareel? I understand the car parks there are enormous...

:lol:

Hell, why not? But then peeps might want to use Mareel cafe instead ... I guess it depends on which would be quicker ... wait for a coffee in Mareel or have a healthy walk over to new cafe ... and whether you preferred a mug to have a handle or not. :wink:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a great idea, there is a lack of such facilities in the "sooth end" of Lerwick, and so long as it is a basic cafe (not the arty-farty type which are far to common these days) I think it would do well, the location is sensible both practically and aesthetically.

More important than car spaces would be easy access for HGV's etc IMO. And as Speccy said, I can't see Tesco worrying about people using it as it people will likely pop in for something while there.

The only possible negative is that it would be at the mercy of Tesco starting up an in-store cafe.

I think its a great idea, there is a lack of such facilities in the "sooth end" of Lerwick, and so long as it is a basic cafe (not the arty-farty type which are far to common these days) I think it would do well, the location is sensible both practically and aesthetically.

More important than car spaces would be easy access for HGV's etc IMO. And as Speccy said, I can't see Tesco worrying about people using it as it people will likely pop in for something while there.

The only possible negative is that it would be at the mercy of Tesco starting up an in-store cafe.

I disagree re it being a sensible location. They are proposing a change to public right of way and access road. Who does the land belong to, the SIC, Fire Brigade, Tesco? That bit of road is already a pain with cars coming in and out of Tesco, never mind the occasional fire engine needing to get out in a hurry.

Then there's the flooding issue as already pointed out.

I agree with you re arty farty cafe but then they'd need to cater to both those wanting a cuppa after doing their shopping and tourists alike. What we meant to do, dump shopping in boots of cars and walk across or as already pointed out, drive? Supermarkets elsewhere tend to have a policy of erecting barriers and a pay scheme to deter non-patrons from using their car parks - so unless Tesco fancy having a slice of the action, I don't particularly fancy that occurring here.

I can't see a small cafe providing lots of jobs either. Would it pay? If it doesn't, would they be applying in the future for a licence to sell alcohol?

The site is too small IMHO.

......the links Carlos provided don't work......

Planning Ref No. Ref. No: 2013/163/PPF.

:evil: technology! :evil:

Looks like the SIC have prevented "hotlinking" from external sites, probably to stop the site getting overloaded by sudden surges in page views from social media posts. If you go through the main site and search for application 2013/163/PPF you get to the info page, then click the Documents tab for the full list.

Could folk park at Mareel? I understand the car parks there are enormous...

:lol:

Hell, why not? But then peeps might want to use Mareel cafe instead ... I guess it depends on which would be quicker ... wait for a coffee in Mareel or have a healthy walk over to new cafe ... and whether you preferred a mug to have a handle or not. :wink:

Or you could park at Mareel and visit the one across the road next to Clan. Never had a bad coffee in there yet.

I saw this application about a week ago and in principle it's an excellent idea but the building will be very exposed in the winter gales. Never the less I wish it every success and it's great to see a bit of vision.

I've often thought a cafe half way up the old Staney Hill road would be a fantastic location with a stunning view but sadly the whole area is "no go" in terms of development.

Unless you're the SIC building a school..... :?

The problem with the links is nothing to do with random web addresses of not wanting to go through social media, the links are to the planning portal, of which you have to register.

It is also a little to early to make any reasonable judgements with out the relevant consultations being in place.

As far as flooding is concerned, it seems to be addressed, though, anyone using the predicted flood indicators would also have to accept that climate change is a factor, if not then it is even better.

Looks fine.

I look forward to using it

......the links Carlos provided don't work......

Planning Ref No. Ref. No: 2013/163/PPF.

I did not write any of that ^^

;)

The planning links are dynamic, and stay "correct" long enough for you to check that everything works in the post you made, before they stop working.... :evil:

The problem with the links is nothing to do with random web addresses of not wanting to go through social media, the links are to the planning portal, of which you have to register.

Its common right across the SIC site, the fact this is a link to a planning document is irrelevant. Far greater talented geeks than me tried, and failed to link to a variety of pages from numerous parts of the site on Shetlopedia as soon as the site went live.

Great idea and I'm sure the folk living out the south end will appreciate it as there is a lack of this kind of facility in that area. My fear, as someone else has pointed out, is that Tesco undoubtedly will open up there own cafe in the future and undercut it putting another business out the ar5e :wink:

Who are the owners?

Its common right across the SIC site, the fact this is a link to a planning document is irrelevant. Far greater talented geeks than me tried, and failed to link to a variety of pages from numerous parts of the site on Shetlopedia as soon as the site went live.

In this case however, it is because they are behind a portal. The system used by S.I.C. is the same as the one here. It is centrally monitored.