21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shetland Box Office Fit for purpose

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not clear what the issue is. Where is 'the rurals'? As all the tickets were sold by Internet and phone, is there not equal access wherever you stay?

Not really. I have a speed of around 6 but some are lucky if they get 1 - now that is hardly equal, is it? There's not enough telephone lines for the box office hence constantly engaged. If you work and don't have internet access/cant make personal calls, ya screwed. But hey, the promoter gets their money so do they really care about what's fair and what isn't?

The location is irrelevant, as is the speed of connection, its basically pot luck as to how you hit the connection/servers or phones. A case of sitting there hitting refresh and hoping for the best.

Those of us who have been buying tickets via Ticketmaster for years are well used to it, the old desktop with laptop next to it, ringing from both the mobile and landline hoping one of them gets through before all the tickets go. And most of the time you end up dissapointed and heading to Ebay!

1000 tickets in around 30 minutes means someone was getting a ticket every 2 seconds (roughly), I think thats pretty impressive service :)

I see someone writing a comment in the Shetland times saying they were able to buy a ticket at 10.55 no problem, but my next door neighbour was told at 10.15 on telephone that all tickets had sold out. How come? She had been trying both box office and telephone from 10.00 am and finally got through on telephone to be told Sold Out.

I think Shetland Box Office offers a very smart - and very cheap - service. We're lucky to have such a good set up locally. Some folk will never be happy unless you go round to their house, give them a free ticket and a run to the concert as well.

I suppose Speccy you got a ticket???. If you care to study what I posted however, I will endevour to try and explain to those not understanding .... I phoned I got the expected engage tone, I redial and I hit redial continuously until 1040 , that is when I got to actually speak to someone.during the time I was hitting redial I got the ringing tone, I was thinking Nice I'm through , not the case. It rang 3times I then get message "SORRY THERE IS NO REPLY" I had this about 8 times; another message I got after a ring tone of about 6time was"SORRY THE OTHER PERSON HAS HUNG UP".So you can see way I am not so pleased. The internet site was a farse too.

So get off your high horse and stop complaining about others until you know the facts!!!!!!

Oh and when I got to speak to someone I was told to try Ticketmater .. I would have paid good money and I don't expect tickets for free either :twisted:

I had a similar experience to Karlos as far as the phones were concerned.

Dial the number and either get the engaged tone (which, in all honesty I expected but thought I'd give a go anyway) or it would ring 3 times and then cut off with no message whatsoever.

Redial and repeat ad nauseum.

At the same time I was scanning the SBO and Ticketmaster sites.

As Davie Gardner has subsequently explained, no tickets did go the way of Ticketmaster so it's no surprise I never saw any there.

Where I do have issues, however is with the SBO site.

KK tickets listed on page 6 and no means of searching for them other than going through each page one by one.

Then after almost wearing out my F5 key I finally got the pull-down menu and was able to select the 2 tickets I wanted. Click on buy tickets and - hey, presto - there is nothing in your basket.

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit?

So...more F5-ing and wahey - here's the menu again.

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit?????? Still nothing in my basket?

Repeat.

Repeat.

Until finally the tickets get added to my basket and I manage to pay for 'em.

I certainly won't be resting easy until I get 'em in my hands though.

Anyway - if Shetland Box Office are going to offer a service, surely it needs to be robust enough to cater for such demand.

^^ That is exactly what happens with Ticketmaster, or indeed any other online shopping site during a big rush.

All thats happening is that at the same time you try to add items to your basket, somebody else (maybe dozens of people) are doing the same, but only one of you can get them.

Far from being incapable, the SBO site didnt crash and processed 1000 (or so) tickets in only 30 minutes.

For the record, I didn't get any tickets, but the same has happened to me many times with other events and gigs, thats just the luck of the draw, certainly no fault of the promoters or the Box Office.

^^ That is exactly what happens with Ticketmaster, or indeed any other online shopping site during a big rush.

All thats happening is that at the same time you try to add items to your basket, somebody else (maybe dozens of people) are doing the same, but only one of you can get them.

WRONG. Ticketmaster give you 15 minutes to decide whether or not to purchase, not an hour like SBO. Who the {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'} needs an hour? That's what screws it up for many and hence people being able to buy at a later time yet being told earlier it was sold out.

@Speccy - a cheap service? Is it? It's a joint Shetland Arts/SIC run service. Does it make a profit? What are the running costs?