People Taking Liberties

I can't stand people taking Liberties!

The Shetland Islands Council arrived today to do road repairs next to our house. They arrived with a Digger a Road Roller a Truck and a mobile traffic light trailer all of which they parked on my privately owned driveway thereby completely blocking it.

Next they drag my hose pipe from my house across my yard connected to my tap on the side of my house to fill their road roller, without the common courtesy of asking permission.

They then rumble across my tarmac with their road roller causing scrape marks.

Then to add insult to injury they leave their mobile traffic light trailer, signage and cones in my driveway over night.

Am I making too much of this? Or would this annoy anyone else?

:evil:

Chain up their equipment. It's on your land without permission. Refuse to release it until you have, in writing, off the Council, an undertaking that they will pay monies into your bank account for the damage done to your property or preferably, get dosh up front. Get quotes pronto.

Charge them rent for overnight storage.

I'd also phone your Insurers' Legal Helpline though ... best make sure you can actually do the above without getting nicked! You don't have to go through your Insurers though for the damage - you can get details of the SIC Insurance Dept.

Or you could smile, be nice to them ,take them all a cup of tea and see what they might do for you and your Tarmac drive to make amends for this?

Thats brightened up this dull morning for me Frances, love that way of thinking, just wish more people had this kind of attitude, it would make this island an even better place to live. Have a great weekend :wink: x

Or you could smile, be nice to them ,take them all a cup of tea and see what they might do for you and your Tarmac drive to make amends for this?

You are probably right Frances but there are about 50 men (slight exageration) and I don't have that many cups and they are working so slowly already, if I give them tea and biscuits work will be at a standstill and they will be in my driveway for another night!

:wink:

At the minimum they should have let you know about the works and explained about the way the temporary signals work so you can use your drive during the works. The trailer for the traffic lights could have been used as part of the safety systems in place. Though it could have been more of a hazard.

Make your views known to highways. But chaining up their tools and plant would do nothing but make the situation worse. Does your bit of the drive butt up to the carriageway?

At the minimum they should have let you know about the works and explained about the way the temporary signals work so you can use your drive during the works. The trailer for the traffic lights could have been used as part of the safety systems in place. Though it could have been more of a hazard.

Make your views known to highways. But chaining up their tools and plant would do nothing but make the situation worse. Does your bit of the drive butt up to the carriageway?

Well a very nice man from the council came and apologised for the disruption and the vehicles.

Unfortunately they carried out a further repair to part of the road this morning using tar and chips and I now have a stream of wet tar running down into my car park and a little puddle of tar where I would normally park my car.

I think we are beyond Tea, Biscuits and wee chat now!

:cry:

:shock:

Ok, still maintaining the reasonable smile, what about talking to the Organ Grinder with photo evidence and accept that they have to park somewhere, etc but you want all things made good, very good, very good indeed.

You are allowed a very steeley taped on smile at this stage......

The fact you are taking photos, you should rather put them on edge and want to help rather than hinder.