Silvercloud

The class sizes would be the same but they would have 4 primary 1s and so on which is exactly the same as lerwick has at the moment. one difrence would be perhaps the entire school would not meet at one point, however if it was in the highschool they would easy fit in the big pe hall no bother. you would only proberly see the school together on special ocations. other times they could devide the school up into 3 like sound school is now, infents, middel and seniour classes. each area has its own concerts etc. so being in a bigger school would make no difrence. only one posible problem i could see if lunchtime, if it was in the old highschool building they would need to build a new lunch hall that they all fit in.

in bells brae at playtime the difrent years have diffrent playgrounds and are not allowed to mix. they kept that in the new school then you would not know you were in a 600 school as you would never see them

As they will be going into a biger high school after p7 whats the difence?

The only problem is that I seem to remember the last time a 'super primary' was suggested for Lerwick in one of the last education reviews, both parents and staff were none too happy about the prospect of having a primary school with over 600 pupils. It very hastily got dropped from the proposals.

My bairns are at a Lerwick school and I have no problem with the concept of a so-called 'super primary'. I think it makes sense. When I was at primary school in Lerwick, there were 700-800 pupils there but it certainly never felt like that.

If I remember rightly, the current AHS site is zoned for education (in planning terms). Think traffic management and car parking will remain a nightmare wherever a school is situated since folk seem to have to park right in front of the door to drop off/pick up their peerie darlings....

wonder if they could put a road down through the knap golf course, where the path is actualy now? if they could they could make it one way. their is no reason why the new front door of the new school couldnt be around the back of the school. advoyding the area where to front door is at the moment.

Hi,

After looking at the plan why can't the school building go near the residential building / car park as the land there is flat and large enough to put the building on according to the plans and that way Shetland also gets to keep the much needed campsite.

As there are no drawings as to what this new school is supposed to look like I hope it's not going to look like a multi storey car park or the Mareel it will look like a blot on the landscape.

Google Elgin and Cults Acadameys, they are nice new secondery schools. What they did there was build a compleat new school in the grounds then knocked the school down, then put the pitches back where the school were.

You need to keep building work away from the children, unlike what we were going to do here at the knab

Sometimes its not always possible to build completely away from where the children are, and depending how it's done maybe a new school on the same site is still possible if work is done in stages and as one stage completes the children start to use new buildings.

Other schools must manage it when they have too, and i'm sure students at AHS can understand put up with some disruption.

Lots of schools around the country have to build where the children are continued to be educated . Some disruption will happen but to build a new school on a completely different site just to avoid some disruption should not be main focus here.

Too big a school and a fancy design to help a designer perhaps to create a name for himself rather than blending with surroundings is going to cost money and runs the risk of going way over budget.

Rather than perhaps keeping things more simple ,practical, does the job and doesn't look some eyesore and comes within a sensible pricetag.

Guess finding the right designer at the right price without too fancy ideas :?

The decision to build the new AHS was made 4 years ago. I sincerely hope that after 20 years of speaking about it the new school is built a Clickimin before the present one crumbles into dust. Ironically the original 1863 building seems to be in better nick than the 60's and 70's extentions.

Sometimes its not always possible to build completely away from where the children are, and depending how it's done maybe a new school on the same site is still possible if work is done in stages and as one stage completes the children start to use new buildings.

Other schools must manage it when they have too, and i'm sure students at AHS can understand put up with some disruption.

Given the time and money that has been wasted on this sorry saga with little or nothing to show for it, its far too late for the Council to make yet another about-turn. Just as some are doing now about the loss of the campsite and the shortfalls of what is being proposed at Clickimin, others were lamenting just a few years ago that the Knab was the wrong location and that redeveloping it would be too disruptive to pupils and surrounding residents. It seems that whatever decision the Council makes, it’s going to be the wrong one in somebody’s eyes.

A new school that will be funded to a large degree by monies from outwith Shetland is looking like a realistic possibility in the not too distant future, so lets see the Council finally get on with it.

Maybe put the campsite on the Knab, no, someone will complain about the caravans and maybe residents will complain if a new primary school and disruption, if that get built there, in case of not in my back yard :?

I don't have a issue new school being at clickimin but the council should find then a suitable site for the campsite and run it after all tourism is one of the Island main industries, and what now with rental houses being taken up with imported workers less holiday rents available so where are these tourist going stay .

Also so long as the school doesn't spoil the surrounding area looking like a glorified multi storey carpark.

Tourism seems to be getting completely overlooked as if it doesn't matter it might just be one small campsite and maybe to some unimportant compared to grandeur of a shiny new school but its is essential and important in a different way to the Island.

Sands of sound does okay for a campsite, it doesn't matter if just breaking even it's not a loss and the main factor is it's bringing people to the island to spend money here , if there is no where to stay they not going come here and spend.

Camping is a a cheaper option for a lot tourists.

The artists drawing that appears in this weeks Shetland Times wis usefuk, but it's not very helpful

What is required is a moving 3D Drawing, that will incorporate all the planned changes, changes that we can see as we walk or drive through.

I understood that Planners have this technology and that it is being used on a dsy to day basis now.

Does the SIC Planners have this systems?

The drawing should run from Breiwick Bay to the North Road..

-------

Who owns the land and buidings used for the current High School, and what is going to happen to it all when vacated?

-------

Who owns the land and buidings used for the current High School, and what is going to happen to it all when vacated?

The land of buildings belong to the SIC. There were a few suggestions about what to do with the old site here.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=cfc71f3e8af187c0c6747661ac2d6b72