Silvercloud

It will be interesting to hear what will be planned for the old school site ?

I think the whole area should have affordable housing. If that happens bet all the people in the area who complained and moaned about the new AHS when it was to be constructed there will be wishing it had gone ahead!

I'd suggest a new primary school replacing Bells Brae, (or both lk primary schools) using the bits like the games hall, asn dept, and parts that just need refurbed, and removing the bits thats knackered. As the building is vacant then they can do it all in one go, then move the school/s in a one'er. Then there is no chance of the local plan or use of the buildings.

They have always been a school there so it should make no difrence to the locals too. Although i would change the front of the school to around the back where their is more room for drop off's. unlike the front of the AHS just now

Then the old bells brae can go to something else

Well T&N joinery have just spent the Summer holidays reharling and painting the AHS games hall so I assume it will be demolished within weeks.

The Council published a draft development plan last year but seem to have withdrawn it. It scheduled the whole site for development, which is interesting as one of the apparent reasons for the expensive design at the Knab us the restrictions on site use.

I would be surprised if the title to most of the land is not restricted to educational use. New all Lerwick primary best idea then build houses at BellsBrae and Sound

• 4 weeks later...

You would need to look at the title deed soe the original land for the AEI to see what was included and what conditions were attached. The park at Bellvue was bought in the 1920's so I dont think there would be any problem if the SIC wanted to do anything else on that part of the site or sell it off.

http://www.anderson.shetland.sch.uk/wordpress/ahs/history-of-the-school/

I am not aware of any plans for the old AHS site for when the new school opens. Probably the SIC doesn't want to commit to anything until the new building is up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

Shetland does not need another Anderson High School, what a waste of tax payers money.

Shetland can not afford another school

You can not justify this cost.

Get real Shetland.

I am sure that we need either a new AHS on a new site or expensive disruptive works on the existing site.  Building a new school will leave the old site available for demolition and development of the parts of the site that are not listed buildings and the listed buildings could be offered for sale or the council can find new imaginative uses for them.  Actually this is the one part of the project the council does not yet seem to have considered.

Disruptive works on the existing site is still better than over stretching the SIC to the cost of a new school.

At the same time the SIC Education dept is wanting the budget cut by 3.286 million pounds over a medium term period.

How can you ask for cuts to the Rural Education areas, and then justify a new school in Lerwick? 

Are the Anderson  High School children under achieving in the current working environment? Is this old building doing the job? 

Well as I understand it the existing building is past its useful life as a school and a new build is liable to be cheaper than patching up the existing school.  Perhaps the AHS pupils do well despite the current school.  Alternative is to keep spending money patching the old place up and we will still need new buildings at some stage in the future.

Anyway I am not asking for cuts to rural education.  Just want to see a value for money approach which could mean closing some schools where the alternative does not involve an overly long journey for the pupils.

Right now, the timing is wrong to commit to a new School.

I appreciate the offer from the Scottish Gov of some funding, but it is still tax payers money, and right now 

Shetland can not afford or justify this new school.

Yes it is good to reduce costs of running various SIC depts, but cutting the rural schools to the bone on a reason of finances, and then committing to another £40,000,0000 project.

I am sure if you did ask most tax paying adults in Lerwick and children at Anderson High School they would suggest Status Quo should be the best and fairest outcome.

Just wait until the finances are in order then you can really deliver a sustainable education for life.

Right now, the timing is wrong to commit to a new School.

I appreciate the offer from the Scottish Gov of some funding, but it is still tax payers money, and right now 

Shetland can not afford or justify this new school.

Yes it is good to reduce costs of running various SIC depts, but cutting the rural schools to the bone on a reason of finances, and then committing to another £40,000,0000 project.

I am sure if you did ask most tax paying adults in Lerwick and children at Anderson High School they would suggest Status Quo should be the best and fairest outcome.

Just wait until the finances are in order then you can really deliver a sustainable education for life.

The Papa Stour Airstrip must be one of the least used in Shetland - why are we spending tax payers ,money on it when it is not needed ?

The ferry appears to be tied up most of the week as well ...  sure it could be better used elsewhere. Therby saving even more tax payers money ...