Upper Esplanade??

Ghostrider

Anybody hear SIBC's ads for this "Continental Market" thing, that's being held at "the Upper Esplanade"?

This is the thingy that's happening under the Fort, I'm assuming. If so, when did part of Commercial Road get re-named. The Fort Chippy's address has always been 2 Commercial Road and Thulecraft at No. 6. Do they really want folk to have a clue where this thing is being held, as apparently choosing their own new names for places folk know as something else surely won't help anybody.

Although I've never heard it called ''the Upper Esplanade'' , I think most folk who stay in Shetland would work out where that is pretty quickly. Not sure if I would have sussed out where 2 and 6 Commercial Road is though ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Yes, but, the "Carpark at/under the Fort" or similar would have needed no figuring for most, and that's what the media reports are choosing to call in anyway. I wouldn't have been the slightest surprised or given it a second thought had the name turned up in an SIBC news report, as he's well known for his unique geography and pronounciations, but when its in an advert (paid for?) by the organisers, what is the purpose of giving someplace a new name that nobody recognises, surely ads are supposed to make things better known and easy to find, not brainteasers which do the opposite.

What next, 'visit Mareel at Lower Commercial Road' - 'catch the boat at Lower North Road'.

I guess knowing the Chippy and Thulecraft's addresses is a sad indictment of the number of fish suppers eaten, and spares bought to keep knackered old bikes running over the years.... :lol:

I guess knowing the Chippy and Thulecraft's addresses is a sad indictment of the number of fish suppers eaten, and spares bought to keep knackered old bikes running over the years.... :lol:

^

Like :D

Also agree with the 'Below the Fort car park' description as the clearest (for locals) or 'where Commercial Street becomes Commercial Road' (if that's an accurate description) for the non-locals.

1-3 is Baroc, dunno what happened to 5, but the part of Cee & Jays that used to be Eric Brown's was 7, 4 was the part of what was used to be Thomson's Garage that was demolished a few years back to make way for Esplanade parking. Greenwald's used it while the shop was demolished and rebuilt in the 70's, some bulder used it as a workshop after that.

Anyone who can't find it is a moron.

I'm sure visitors to Lerwick will really appreciate being called morons. I still don't know where some places are in Lerwick and yep, I use either my Sat Nav or maps on my mobile phone which I suspect some visitors do also.

So Nederlander, do you know your way to every single street address in Shetland and all the other isles here?

So Nederlander, do you know your way to every single street address in Shetland and all the other isles here?

Everyone is still learning it is an ongoing project. I would imagine, as I have been told in the past, you can only know about a place if a/ you have lived there 4 years or more and b/ you can understand the various ways folk write their dialect.

I believe someone may have thought they are now on a high horse. However, nothing ever beats bumping into someone you met 20 odd years ago, and continuing a conversation, something I have experienced for the last 20 years or more.

The arguments against what was once the Upper are just for the sake of posting. To be honest, this gives the appearance of a shallow existence. I have a post card that talks of the Upper.

The arguments against what was once the Upper are just for the sake of posting. To be honest, this gives the appearance of a shallow existence. I have a post card that talks of the Upper.

Fine, Peat. I think I'll take me a drive up Dunchattan Street, then nip in along Albany Street for a bit, maybe nip down Leather Lane while I'm at it. Could take tour along Pig Street and Fleet Street too I suppose, seeing as I'm there, maybe nip up Middlebie Hill too. I'll probably need to park as far away as the top of Whisky Lane though, if I want to see what's happening at the Anglo Scottish Station tonight though.

If "Upper Esplanade" has accuracy and current relevance, so does that lot, and probably many more.