And so it begins.... the fly-tipping in a loch

Frances144

How would you Bund a quarry? What size truck will tour the islands, of course with the JCB. Then of course, the items would have to be sorted before final disposal

Not really thought through that one, for one, how would you police it, industrial waste will be deposited there.

You cannot  "load" freezers and fridges with a bucket for fear of rupturing the cooling system and poluting the atmosphere.

I do not understand your story about pre owned electricals. If you purchase a new appliance, the old one should be taken away by the supplier. That bit is simple. Of course, there will be times when damaged items are replaced by other not-new items, it is still the responsibility of the owner to dispose of it in the correct manner. It is not because the council have removed the service of the skips, it is the attitudes of residents who think their waste is and should be anothers problem. This is made worse when a service is offered. 6 items collected for £10 for those on benefits is very cheap.

Your thoughts about community , or lack of it goes some way to show why community halls are falling to bits. According to some posters on these forum. There are ways to fix that.

Edited by shetlandpeat

How would you Bund a quarry? What size truck will tour the islands, of course with the JCB. Then of course, the items would have to be sorted before final disposal

Not really thought through that one, for one, how would you police it, industrial waste will be deposited there.

You cannot  "load" freezers and fridges with a bucket for fear of rupturing the cooling system and poluting the atmosphere.

Peat, perhaps you should try becoming a politician or civil servant, with your unerring talent for defaulting to listing just about every conceivable reason, real and manufactured, why an idea cannot be done, instead of trying to find ways it maybe can, you'd fit right in.

That said, if I am understanding JustMe's post immediately above, it would appear the idea is already in action in some form in their locality, so perhaps that could be looked at as a possible model for elsewhere. Bunding, trucks, JCB's, police forces, and loader operator's of low talent polluting the atmosphere, along with any other "reasons why it cannot be so" you may still dream up, presumably have already been successfully addressed or deemed invalid to allow the facility JustMe alludes to, to exist.

I do not understand your story about pre owned electricals. If you purchase a new appliance, the old one should be taken away by the supplier. That bit is simple. Of course, there will be times when damaged items are replaced by other not-new items, it is still the responsibility of the owner to dispose of it in the correct manner. It is not because the council have removed the service of the skips, it is the attitudes of residents who think their waste is and should be anothers problem. This is made worse when a service is offered. 6 items collected for £10 for those on benefits is very cheap.

Let me try and help you with that Peat. It really is extremely simple, many folk acquire one way or another second hand, pre-owned, used, pre-loved, second user or whatever you choose to call it, household furnishings, fittings, appliances etc. In many if not most cases where any one individual item was originally purchased from is not know to the person owning it when it finally reaches the end of its useful life. There is also a reasonably high chance that when someone owning such goods is considering replacing them, they will choose to again acquire second hand, pre-owned etc etc item. Conclusion, WEEE does not factor in for anything, as the original retailer is unknown to the owner, and no retailer is involved in the replacement of the item with another.

Of course the owner of anything is responsible for its disposal when that time comes, and I disagree folk are expecting their rubbish to be someone else's problem. Every household pays a King's ransom of Council Tax, part of which is slated to cover the costs of  "refuse disposal", I'm just looking for value for money, and to get my money's worth. Six items for £10 for someone on benefits may or may not be "cheap", cheapness is relative after all, but £10 to have a microwave or deep fat fryer picked up by someone on benefits is a whole other ball game, and £30 for even six items for anyone not on benefits isn't cheap at all to my mind, its borderline rip-off.

All it would have taken was to identify a number of suitable dump sites in each Community Council area, old disused quarries are aplenty, would have been ideal, and most were already being used for such anyway. Let folk get one with dumping in them, and send out a truck and loading shovel monthly or whenever to cart the lot off to the dump.

Bit of a yes but.  We have such a place not all that far from where I live but too far for me to carry anything to so the £30/£10 option is actually far more use to me.  But of course a regular doorstep collection of bulk refuse would be even better.  Maybe something the council could consider once it has got its finances in order.

Fair point. However, to return to the point made you made earlier, if you have a facility local to you and you adopt your suggestion of clubbing together with neighbour(s), surely you'd find someone among them going to go with their own rubbish to your local facility who'd take your's along as well, hopefully for gratis, or no more than a couple of quid/pint, and everybody wins unless the council coffers.

Peat, perhaps you should try becoming a politician or civil servant, with your unerring talent for defaulting to listing just about every conceivable reason, real and manufactured, why an idea cannot be done, instead of trying to find ways it maybe can, you'd fit right in.

:-) yip more of a "glass half empty" kinda chap.

I ask how you could do as you suggest, as you see it as a simple and cost effective way of solving the problem, and instead of answering, you go on to try to discredit the person suggesting it, meaning that you have no answer. You would have to prevent any waste from contaminating the environment. With your little faith in folk you live with in your community, the policing will have to be done. I would guess that your plan of quarry dumps is not cost effective, environmentally friendly and properly thought through.

As for pre-owned electrical, thank you for you dialogue, but, the responsibility of getting rid of your rubbish is by using the correct facilities and if you have to pay, it is a cost that has to be kept in mind.

What has happened here is we have reduced costs by involving charities that will put the larger items back into use, this firstly creates an opportunity for training, attracts grants into the community, properly recycle the stuff that cannot be used and creates opportunities for folk to join in with community work.

This work is paid for by these grants, the resale of the goods and the greatly reduced overheads which means that collection costs are greatly reduced. Which in turn has proved to be a huge saving to the community as a whole via involvement, a reduction in costs.

Still, the upshot is, folk think it is fine to dump their detritus on the rest of the community, who, as you say pay a Kings Ransom to have it taken away in a correct fashion. Or in your mind, used to. In 2010/11, the fleet of vehicles used to carry away your detritus used 86,912 litres of fuel and cost over £67,385 to maintain, about 6.6% of the total maintenance costs for all SIC vehicles, though, there has been some costs to repair bus stops in that sum. Nearly £200,000 then add to that the staffing costs, admin, licenses and procurement.

Of course, there is the charges incured by the collection site, the incinerator costs and then the cost of shipping items that cannot be utilised south for correct disposal. You think then to spend about 33% of the fuel and maintenance costs again on providing a few skips to take away bulky items is acceptable, this surely shows the skip contract is expensive, especially as there are laws in place if new items are bought, there is a risk to the public from dangerous waste being put into the skips and businesses are diposing of trade waste in the skips as well as has been complained of here on these forum.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Am I the only person who couldn't give a toss what happens in Lancs?  If it's a waste of time or whatever me saying how much it costs in a London borough, then surely it's a waste of time saying how things are done in Lancs? :ponders:

The matter of cost differences rely on a huge number of factors that cannot be changed. Comparing costs of the two is a lame way of showing some sort of difference we should be bothered about. However, people are people. While you cannot see past your own adopted boundaries, communities, throughout the world have benefitted from the examples of other communities. It is not always about a financial goal, but if you can and are able to include that in the formula that incorporated community cohesion can bring, then you are on a good thing. In one breath, one has to get rid of all surplus management, that, is everyones goal, so, nothing radical about that now, another breath, we need to make services leaner, which is another goal, the difference is when you think more of the money than of the people.

The way forward in these times is to act as a community and help those who need it. If sorting rubbish is one way then so be it. It does "all of the above" you can see the power of community cohesion, while many areas have poor internet connections, others have great connections, they are not in fear of the microwave technology some on this page have expressed in the past.

Community detritus is a community affair and can be beneficial.

On another note, still, looking at your quote, that woman used to put her baby in a cage and hang it out of the window to save space, it was thought to be the way forward. hmm.