IT'S STARTED! PASSPORT CHECKS WHEN COMING FROM SHETLAND!

soundview

Just had a strange experience when landing at Aberdeen this morning. The plane pulled up at the international arrivals stand and we were herded towards the UK border checkpoint. There was much confusion and muttering from the other passengers (and myself). Has there been a Coup? Someone remarked.

The immigration officials seemed as mystified as the rest of us. The head bloke was spluttering that you couldn't come through without a passport, one of the more sensible immigration ladies suggested that a drivers licence would be sufficient. One of the passengers obviously decided that he had come to the wrong area and started walking back out of the room only to be yelled back by the ever more flustered head bloke.

Eventually the sensible lady just started calling people forward and checking whatever ID they had on them whilst her boss spluttered and fumed demanding to know what was going on.

Does anyone know what legal rights you would have in this situation, obviously you can be asked for ID, but what if you only had a student card? That may not necessarily show your nationality. I did actually have my passport on me but I was damned if I was going to show it!

As far as I understand, you are entitled to enter the UK without a passport, if you are a UK citizen. However they may ask you to prove you are British and that might be tedious without a passport. However this incident sounds like mere incompetence on behalf of the airline and utter stupidity on the part of the immigration official. As to travel the airlines are ordered to verify the identity of its passengers and the use of a passport within the UK is simply the easy option (for them). However some will accept other forms of photographic ID such as driving licence, or bus pass.

i think no-one told the airport staff that a domestic flight was coming in that gate the staff due to it being an imigration gate have standing orders that a passport must be shown.

a least one woman had the wit to know every-one had some kind of ID with them(they need it to get on plane)so bent the rules and accepted other forms of ID

the head man should have known what to do

if they insisted on a passport what were they going to do with people without one(i don't have one)deport them!! to where my understanding of deportation is "removing person from uk soil"so they couldn't send them back to shetland as that is part of uk

If they're going to go the whole hog and treat us the same as they already treat foreigners, it'll make declaring UDI for Shetland so much easier. Good on 'em, and long may they keep it up, they're making a rod for their own back.

What's "UDI"?

I'd allways thought it was an Unidentified Drunken Injury. :?

Just sounds like an error. Though...

If they're going to go the whole hog and treat us the same as they already treat foreigners, it'll make declaring UDI for Shetland so much easier. Good on 'em, and long may they keep it up, they're making a rod for their own back.

I wonder if the officials who made the mistake are actually forging policy, nah...I don't think so.

Alas, Shetlanders want to be foreigners, according to some.