accommodation barge in town center

greenman

They say the Barge can not be moored at Sella Ness because of the blast zone. If I remember right the is a blast zone in Lerwick which goes up to the top off Harbour street from the fuel depot. I would say that zone is more dangerous as Sullom, how many blast zones have open welding etc going on right next to them? Double standards to make money?

maybe the harbour café will also benefit, I suppose it will bring money into the town, well certain peoples pockets anyway

Just a general point but, why is there so much poorly hidden jealousy against those who might, or might not, benefit from a little extra trade.?

Any extra money spent in the town centre will probably go into the 'pockets' of local businesses and re-appear elsewhere in the community as wages.

If you want some of it, get a job!!!

Blast Zone included The North Star, I did not buy a house in the zone for that reason. Anybody that knows about HSE will know that certain gases are heaver then air. The water becomes a floor level for the gas the same as the ground. Certain things can be done but there is certain things you have to think about. Most disasters happen after the event. The fuel depot should be out of the town. The disaster in Halifax Nova Scotia should be a warning to every body.

All well and good but if you think of the bureaucratic planning hurdles that ordinary folk have to go through to put a sign up,extend their drive or put up a new house inthe lanes the fact that the harbour can park this monstrosity inthe heart of the town without blinking !!!?

All well and good but if you think of the bureaucratic planning hurdles that ordinary folk have to go through to put a sign up,extend their drive or put up a new house inthe lanes the fact that the harbour can park this monstrosity inthe heart of the town without blinking !!!?

Might also be that the SIC recently had to pay £5 Million after discovering that they had no right to dictate to the LPA who, as it happens, own and control the harbour.

maybe the harbour café will also benefit, I suppose it will bring money into the town, well certain peoples pockets anyway

Just a general point but, why is there so much poorly hidden jealousy against those who might, or might not, benefit from a little extra trade.?

Any extra money spent in the town centre will probably go into the 'pockets' of local businesses and re-appear elsewhere in the community as wages.

If you want some of it, get a job!!!

what makes you think I am jealous. I happen to have a perfectly good job, I was merely commenting that some, not all of the businesses li town would benefit from the extra cash being spent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am reminded of the response from the late Councillor Alex Morrison when confronted with complaints from his constituents about the smell emanating from Bressay Gut Factory when the wind was from the north. "Yun smell's money!"

Nice that LPA are generating income for our  town but can quality of life count for so little?