New Housing Scheme

Kavi Ugl

I think this thread is about housing. Military folk have often had a raw deal from housing departments. I have no idea where your view fits with this.

My view is as relevant to the thread topic as your comment about current/ex Military allegedly being allowed to "jump" housing waiting lists - we hardly have a superabundance of knuckleheads and squaddies roaming these parts seeking shelter to make much odds to SIC housing allocations.

In a word, its sarcasm.

There is one thing for sure - you 3 don't take much winding up to have an autopop at each other - please give it a rest, as its getting so dreadfully boring to see you ruin every thread you decide to play out your 'passion' for each other on.

Free (allegedly) country, free (allegedly) speech (Mods permitting), ignore that which offends your eyes. Job done.

There is one thing for sure - you 3 don't take much winding up to have an autopop at each other - please give it a rest, as its getting so dreadfully boring to see you ruin every thread you decide to play out your 'passion' for each other on.

Free (allegedly) country, free (allegedly) speech (Mods permitting), ignore that which offends your eyes. Job done.

Great. Job done alright, because the 3 of you are the sole reason why most of Shetland has switched off from Shetlink.

Ghoastie you used to speak a lot of sense but now your getting far too bitter and twisted for my liking - yea i get it its a free country bla bla bla

Great. Job done alright, because the 3 of you are the sole reason why most of Shetland has switched off from Shetlink.

You may well be right, as I wouldn't know what most of Shetland are doing, I can only speak for myself. However, the hit tally would seem to evidence a contrary opinion to yours.

Ghoastie you used to speak a lot of sense but now your getting far too bitter and twisted for my liking....

I agree entirely, and I blame SIC Housing, this is what I have become as a result of being forced to be their tenant for over a decade.

Ghoastie you used to speak a lot of sense but now your getting far too bitter and twisted for my liking - yea i get it its a free country bla bla bla

personally I would narrow the 3 down to 1 , shetlandpeat , that's not from Shetland anyway

• 1 year later...

It should be on the site, there should be an information board detailing this.

Attending the meetings help, these are advertised well enough in advanced, you can also find the minutes of such meetings and the full plans and justifications laid down on the planning portal. This document may have the contractor on it, or the main one.

Generally, newspapers do not publish details of contractors, why would they unless it comes under tendering protocols and has to be listed via Public Contracts Scotland. However, HAs may not have to provide this due to their status.

There are three sites set for housing development in Brae, there is also a live application for 2 houses next to the Fire Station.

I actually drove through there this past week but never noticed who the contractors are!.

I'll swing by over the weekend again.

What I did notice is that one of the hidmist new houses STILL has at least one window boarded up with a sheet of plywood due to it obviously being smashed at one time....or perhaps again....

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Peat. A stamp to send a letter to the SIC is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than taking a trip to Brae to look for a board that might or might not still exist, or might or might not ever have existed. Having spoken with a Brae resident, whatever may have been on site if anything, cannot have been very visible, as they weren't sure who'd done the work either.

Generally speaking the local media will state who the contractor was for higher ticket public builds, especially when the opening is turned in to a media photo opportunity/PR exercise with all the council bigwigs huffing any puffing about how great they are. Contractors usually are smart and willing enough to seize some of that free publicity for themselves and get in on the act too. Not with these though, the contractor(s) are highly conspicious by their absence - unlike similar recent jobs at Hoofields and Quoys, where not only the contractors, but at times the architect firm as well, were very evident throughout the media publicity surrounding the openings.

Any news released on housing schemes mentions local benefits, this is true if contracts are given to local contractors. This also benefits local trades folks. What I do notice is a contractor will out source labour. That defeats the object I feel, more so if it is social housing.

Many of the larger construction companies have been found guilty of Blacklisting workers, this is against the law. The ones who did the most have split or changed their names.

You may be better writing two letters, however, I would email. I would guess that the HA are the ones to ask, though, someone may know at the council. HAs I believe are not subject to the FOI laws, though they still may reply, when and how they want. I have never found any successful FOI application to Hjaltland as yet.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Why does the edit option only work for 15 mins or so :(

I believe it was because some folk were going back and changing what they said previously after they were taken to task on it, to make it look like they had said something different, whereas a 15 minute timescale allows for genuine typos to be corrected.

....someone may know at the council.

Somebody at the council bloody well better know. They awarded the contract, they should have been mointoring the contract throughout its construction phase, and have or will be signing the £1.5 Million cheque for it - at the very least they'll need to know who to make it payable to.