Views on recently watched films

Mia

Saw Avatar 3D.

The plot line is nothing new and I dare say if I was to watch it in non-3D I'd be a little less interested, but in all its glory I thought it was well worth the visit. The CGI is damn good and the characters physically very expressive. Plenty of outrageously big guns and explosions too. :wink:

Yup, everything above is spot on.

Having walked out of the cimena I was left thinking - that was fantastic! After a bit of time thinking about the film however, I think it was the 3D that made it 'fantastic'. It certainly wasn't the plot (far, far too predictable), the acting was blockbuster standard and there's nothing that can't be done with CGI these days - so why did I initially think it was so good... it must have been the 3D!

That leaves the studio with a bit of a problem in my opinion. Avatar is simply not going to transfer onto folks tellys. It'll just be another random sci-fi film.

If you can get to the cimena go see it in 3D before they stop showing it as it just won't be the same on DVD/Blu-ray.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on Avatar, I was left enjoying the experience of witnessing it much more than the actual film. If there's any way you can get to Glasgow to see it in IMAX 3D, it's worth the effort.

As for it not translating to DVD/Blu-ray - 3DTV is coming... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8447432.stm (*)

Of course the sets will be ludicrously expensive at first, but at least it should see a price-drop for HDTVs and Blu-ray players.

(*) I should point out that I don't think even a top-of-the-range 3D Blu-ray on a 52" TV equipped with 5.1 surround sound can ever compare to the cinema experience.

Saw Harry Potter HBP too and, though it passed a couple of hours quite pleasantly, I couldn't say I' be in any hurry to see it again. In fact, thinking back, I'm struggling to remember anything that set it apart, let alone the outcome. I'm not really a big fan of the series though. Not bad though.

The Hangover, on the other hand, I did rather enjoy! Despite my expectations of the film and some of the corn that was inevitably in there I did have to laugh at quite a lot of it. Would recommend. :wink:

Watched Harry Potter and the half blood prince and loved it. Can't wait for the next two.

Hmm, glad someone enjoyed it but for me it was a bit of an anti-climax. Nothing really sticks in the mind as being a big moment apart from the ending of course (not wishing to spoil it for the two or three people who haven't seen the movie or read the book - presumably there is someone under a rock in the middle of the Australian Outback that may not have heard of it but I'm doubtful.). Disappointing really as I have enjoyed all of them to date, especially the Goblet of Fire.

Hopefully the next two will be back on form.

Inglorious Basterds is a love-hate film it seems. I'm a pretty big Tarentino fan and I adored every second of it. Probably one of the best films I've seen this year.

As for Avatar? I saw it down south during Christmas and I'd have to agree with all the comments made. It's a cinema movie, it's an experience and it has to be seen in 3D. Do I ever want to watch it again without a huge 3D screen? Nope. Probably not.

I am a Tarantino fan and enjoyed some (but not all) of his movies - Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are particularly good, Jackie Brown not so much. I'll give it a watch then.

I wasn't a fan of Death Proof either, but Inglourious Basterds is brilliant, probably my second favourite Tarantino film. Looks like it might even get a few Oscar nods. The last line in the film could be spoken by the director himself...

My favourite films of 2009:

3) District 9

2) (500) Days of Summer

1) Zombieland

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Avatar the other night. Only in 2D, unfortunately, but I absolutely loved it. I had somehow managed not to read anything at all about it and had expected to be pretty bored due to it being so long. But I found that the storyline, although not very original, was engaging enough that I didn't notice the time passing. And I thought it was visually entrancing, even in 2D. If I get the chance to see it in 3D, I will certainly be going.

... Avatar ... I had somehow managed not to read anything at all about it ... the storyline, although not very original,...

You may be interested in one aspect of the storyline which, I feel, is particularly ironic. As widely noted, the story is, more or less, a "Dances with Wolves" style "WASP goes native," "small guys against the big corporation" morality play. What is less widely noted (but still to a significant level) is the quite clear direct inspiration of the artist Roger Dean on the visual concepts used. From the floating mountains to the arched rock formations, and even the look of the dragons, the unique style of Dean is quite evident.

Understandably, Dean appears to be quite miffed that he has been provided with no credit whatsoever. I think he is right on this and find the ommission pathetic. Additionally I think that it is highly ironic that the message of the film is meant to be about stopping mega corporations raping weak indigenous people. What else are the Hollywood studios doing to Dean, if not exactly the same thing?

As for the film itself? Rip-off plagiarism or not, it is certainly worth seeing. The 3D flying stuff being the best sequences I thought.

You are absolutely right, EM. I knew the floating mountains had reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. As soon as I saw the words "Roger Dean" in your post, images of his work came flooding into my mind.

As you say, particularly ironic given the message of the film!