Views on recently watched films

Mia

Saw the World's Fastest Indian on the big screen at the Hoswick Electric Picture Palace on Saturday. Would recommend it to anyone and its a true story. Would also recommend the venue, quite civilised and you can bring BYOB if you care for a snifter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked The Devil Wears Prada - and I'm a guy, albeit quite a metrosexual one! (where's my lip balm?)

Sure it was whimsical to an extent, and some of the characters were a bit annoying but overall I thought it was funny, sharp, Meryl Streep was pretty brilliant and - ok - Anne Hathaway is fairly easy on the eye. New York also looked fantastic.

I haven't seen the History Boys but have now heard from various sources that it's quite good. I saw the trailer and thought it looked rubbish though, on the basis that all the 'school-boys' looked as if they were about 30 years old.

The Guardian -

I was never going to like this movie...Kevin Costner hasn't done anything of note since Robin Hood, and Ashton Kutcher just has one of those faces you would never tire of punching.

I liked the general plot of the film as far as the coastguard part went, but the love stories bored me senseless. Kevin Costner's character was a walking movie cliche...which I can't say more about without ruining the ending.

Although one thing to look out for if you do go and see it, during the training the students are shown different footage from various rescues, one of which appears to be the helicopter shot of the "Be Ready" on fire with the crewmen being rescued.

^ Jonathan Woss ripped that movie to shreds^ I'll watch it on TV on a Sunday afternoon in 2012 perhaps, if there's nothing better on :wink:

I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen last night on TV for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Superb escapist plot, no attempt as reality, just a great story, great characters and superb effects.

Mr Hyde was brilliant! but i'd have to say....The Nautilus was beyond all my expectations, wow , and the 'car'! I want one of those!

Ace!

some bits I think were rubbish like the bit when they are so happy that she dropped a dress size. What type of message was that?

Totally agree. The film had a bit of morally ambiguous tone but the bit when they celebrated the fact she was down to what I think is a British size 8 was horrendous. You could laugh at Meryl Streep describing Anne Hathaway as fat because that is obviously ridiculous. And I liked the bit with the English assistant who was on a diet that involved eating nothing except a small cube of cheese before fainting.

I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen last night .... a great story

*cough* *splutter*

Are you joking, sir? TLEG had one of the most awful plots I've seen in a film, ever... bar none. I like surreal. I like fantasy, sci-fi, and horror. I love twists and turns; I enjoy a ripping yarn. But this film somehow managed to have one of the lamest, most desperately inconsistent and pointless plots I've ever had the misfortune to roll my eyes at.

The special-effects were great and the overall style was impressive, but the plot... oh, no... the plot was abysmal. It will always live in my mind for this very reason.

Erm, not joking, just in a partricular frame of mind which i should have alluded to, sorry. NOT a great story, but a great no-brain visual entertainment with the flagrant misuse of familiar literary characters to construct an apallingly appealing hour or two.

I must confess now that you've pulled me, it is diabolical, when you think about it, but i didn't at the time, i expected pure nonsense and was pleasantly fulfilled. A great movie, an outrageous story. Not what you would call stimulating. To be honest, i spent the whole movie churning the old memory banks for info about the characters in their original contexts, so i wasn't really paying attention. A splendid feat of misdirection which i fell for , hook, line and stinker! :wink:

I beg your pardon. :oops:

Erm, not joking, just in a partricular frame of mind which i should have alluded to, sorry. NOT a great story, but a great no-brain visual entertainment with the flagrant misuse of familiar literary characters to construct an apallingly appealing hour or two.

Completely agree... If you try to analyse the film it is awful... but if you want something simple that allows you to kick the old brain-box into neutral and allow you to just coast for a while, then it was perfect...

I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen last night .... a great story

*cough* *splutter*

Are you joking, sir? TLEG had one of the most awful plots I've seen in a film, ever... bar none. I like surreal. I like fantasy, sci-fi, and horror. I love twists and turns; I enjoy a ripping yarn. But this film somehow managed to have one of the lamest, most desperately inconsistent and pointless plots I've ever had the misfortune to roll my eyes at.

The special-effects were great and the overall style was impressive, but the plot... oh, no... the plot was abysmal. It will always live in my mind for this very reason.

I thought it was altogether an absolutely brilliant movie. Everyone was awesome in it.

I saw that Queen movie with what's-her-chops Mirren in it the other day. It was... actually okay. No, really. Interesting portrayal of Blair, Campbell et all. It's set in the aftermath of Diana's crash, and deals with the royal family's reaction and the general hysteria in the UK at the time.

Probably not worthy of release on the silver screen, def more of a TV movie. Still, I had a few hours to kill (dingied work for the day) and it was the only thing on.

8O I saw "REST STOP" the other day there... rather scary stuff... basically about yeah, you guessed it, a rest stop and this young lass gets left on her own there, and spends most of the time in the toilets... whilst there is a nutter in a truck making her life less than peachy...

Worth a watch.. but not for the squeamish! lol

:wink:

• 2 months later...
Saw the World's Fastest Indian on the big screen at the Hoswick Electric Picture Palace on Saturday. Would recommend it to anyone and its a true story. Would also recommend the venue, quite civilised and you can bring BYOB if you care for a snifter.

Just saw it last night we got it on DVD at Christmas it was brilliant, definetly recomend it.