Views on recently watched films

Mia

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slumdog Millionaire is fantastic.

From what I thought was a dodgy premise when I first heard about it (kid from the slums of Mumbai gets on the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"), Simon Beaufoy, Christian Colson and Danny Boyle have put together a spectacular film. Much-revered critic Roger Ebert called it "a bouyant hymn to life", which is a brilliant way of summing it up.

Believe the hype.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Who here's seen Watchmen?

I wasn't gonna watch it having not read the novel it's based on; however one of my friends is obsessed with it and wanted to see it again so I went with her. It was nice to look at, certainly, but it dragged a bit towards the end.

I also found Dr Manhattan's blue penis somewhat disconcerting in places :oops:

Who here's seen Watchmen?

I wasn't gonna watch it having not read the novel it's based on; however one of my friends is obsessed with it and wanted to see it again so I went with her. It was nice to look at, certainly, but it dragged a bit towards the end.

I also found Dr Manhattan's blue penis somewhat disconcerting in places :oops:

I'm planning on going when the missus is away because she would moan bitterly if she had to see it.

Heard mixed opinions from a couple of pals about it.

If you liked the graphic novel you'll like the film (I did). It's an incredibly ambitious attempt at adaptation, but I cannot imagine how it would translate to audiences uninitiated with the source material.

People expecting Spider-Man/Iron Man will be utterly bewildered...

I think zack snyder has a pretty good track record so far with 300 and the remake of dawn of the dead.

A good record with films does not guarantee a good film, sadly, because I loved 300 and did enjoy his remake of DotD.

Problem with Zachy-boy is that he think that films need to ultra long to be good. Its not true. I think about 2 1/2 hours could've been cut out of Watchmen (2 1/2 hours long) and it would've made it one billion times better.

Problem with Zachy-boy is that he think that films need to ultra long to be good. Its not true. I think about 2 1/2 hours could've been cut out of Watchmen (2 1/2 hours long) and it would've made it one billion times better.

Read the book JAS, I guarantee you'll enjoy it, and when you see how multi-layered it is you'll realise why Watchmen was such an incredibly daunting adaptation for any director to take on.

I feel a bit sorry for Zack Snyder, as he was sure to be condemned however he handled the adaptation, either by fans of the original, much-treasured source material, or by the regular movie-going public. I assure you that a Watchmen adaptation could have been done much, much worse...