Views on recently watched films

Mia

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just been out to see Watchman and thought it was brilliant, haven’t read the graphic novel and don’t think you need to before you see it. I will be getting a copy to read now though.

As Spence rightly says nothing like the Spider-man/Iron man films and I think thats where alot of the harsh reviews are coming from, certainly abit of a "Marmite" film.

I loved the graphic novel and cant wait to see the film, but having to sit that long in the garrison fills me with dread.

AFAIK, it's not coming up here, so you won't have to sit for that long. Personally I'm awaiting the 210 minute Extended DVD version - more of the story will be told and I can pause it when I feel like it.

• 2 weeks later...
The Watchmen

Do not see it. Pure utter crap.

Not great, although the soundtrack is excellent. Any movie that kicks off with Bob Dylan's 'Time's they are a changin'' can't be all bad. Then there's Jimi Hendrix, Leonard Cohen, simon and garfunkel amongst others .

I think that visually it's asthetically flawless. I watched it on a giant iMax screen here in Sydney, which I guess helped enhance it a wee bit :-)

I suppose it's just a bit long-winded. It is a carbon-copy of the comic (ok, ok, "graphic novel"). Perhaps his attempt to remain 100% faithful to the original medium has hindered it's conversion to the big screen. I actually dozed off towards the end, although this was probably more due to self-inflicted fatigue than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...
Ive just been out to see Watchman and thought it was brilliant, haven’t read the graphic novel and don’t think you need to before you see it. I will be getting a copy to read now though.

Hmmm...I'd disagree with that.

I'd never heard of Watchmen until the film came out, and I was taken to see it by a pal who was obsessed with the comic book and was so elated with Snyder's treatment of it that she had gone to see it a few times - indeed the time I went with her was the third. Like I say, I liked it, but there were a few things I felt weren't explained in enough detail or at all. However, when I was loaned the novel by my flatmate (incidentally her copy is signed by Dave Gibbons, one of the artists) a few ends were tied up for me.

That said, I do think Zack Snyder did what he could with the source material - it was famously deemed unfilmable by none other than Terry Gilliam. And indeed, the soundtrack was very appropriate I felt.

Anyway...I finally saw 'Slumdog' at last, on the boat back down on Sunday night. Absolutely splendid film - and earlier today I bought the novel it's based on for £2 from Fopp Union St. Can't wait to read it this summer :D

Ally du muckle hunk o lurve du! Whar's du been? Hiding awa we yun aboriginals I tink! Dirty lipper!

*ahem*

Kinda looking forward to the new Star Trek movie!?!? The trailers seem to have a certain "va va voom" with them ... rather than the tired old "similar bond" format of yesteryear ... they look to have "warped" into a noice gritty sci-fi action adventure flic with top effects. Might even get the wife to come with me too ;) .. fur shu haets f'in nerd trek! Heres hoping on all counts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The modern 3D tecniques are indeed amazing, and its amazing how quickly you forget about the effect and are simply immersed in the experience. I haven't seen coraline, but thats partly because i know its not my kind of movie, and partly because..

I went to see Drag Me to Hell :D

Sam Raimi's return to horror is a pure masterpiece and easily the most fun I've had in a cinema in years. Just what a movie should be, a funny, shocking, enthralling thrill-ride that feels like it only lasted about 10 minutes when its done.. and makes you want to buy another ticket to go back in immediately.

I hope Raimi ditches the comic book superheroes for a while and concentrates on the genre that made him for at least a few more movies.

Would love to say more but dont want to spoil anything, so will just say - go watch it! You can't fail to be entertained - and you'll be reminded why movies are meant to be watched in cinema's. On DVD, this will be good, on the big screen, its mind blowing.