Moving to Shetland - Planning a baby, supper clubs, teaching

I am a highly skilled worker who has accepted a job on a 2 year contract who is opting to live outside company accomodation for the 2 years of my contract

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands.

statements like that wont gain you any friends, what exactly is it you do thats highly skilled and would make us grateful???

Most of the skills are leaving the islands and staying away because for some, they have had enough.

Wow! How do we manage? With so little skills :cry:

If you follow the census and the reports released about doctors lists and jobs annually, you can see that there are many who leave the islands to enhance their skills. Thankfully, this is being addressed. I would be grateful if those who come with high skills train some of the youngsters in trades that they can use and stay.

If you follow the census and the reports released about doctors lists and jobs annually, you can see that there are many who leave the islands to enhance their skills.

That'll be why you left then Peat was it? Never mind, keep on slugging away, maybe someday there will be some small tangible result.

Peat – anyone wishing to become a doctor has to go south to medical school to train. So unclear whence you are deriving your ‘leaving to enhance his / her skills’ suggestion.

As for our new ‘You should be grateful that there are people like me’ :roll: member; his skill set has obviously been honed in an industry where interpersonal skills and team working are of no importance whatsoever. Can anyone think what such an occupation might be? (anticipating flood of sarcastic suggestions ...)

If you are thinking to rent privately

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/07/20/inequality-grows-as-economic-boom-leaves-many-locals-priced-out-of-rental-market

Economic inequality is growing in Shetland, with increasing numbers hit by social and financial difficulties – as housing ranks highly among many people’s concerns.

The industrial boom brought by Total’s gas plant, far from bringing ‘trickle down benefits’ to the whole community, is contributing to these problems, with the cost of private rental accommodation now rising out of the reach of local people.

Heard a few 'tales' (unverified) of local landlords who are trying to evict 'low rent' tennants in order to replace them with high paying Total workers.

Just greed...

Maybe the SIC could buy a few of these 'floatels' for the locals to live in... Instant fix.. and, when the Total project is complete, the landlords can get stuffed with their empty properties..

We moved up 19 years ago :shock: with two small children and three cats.

We rented to start, then bought.

I have never looked back. Shetland is incredible but it is not for everyone. Rent first and see if it really is for you, is my recommendation.

Offer, help and fit in. Adapt to the way of life here. It is so different to south - hard to describe. Yes, the Shetland-way can be frustrating at times but if you return south for anything, you will realise just what a wonderful place this is.

I feel privileged to live here and to have brought my family up here too.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands.

This will not make you friends.

agree totaly with you there.

Coming with a 'be gratefull' i'm here attitued will see you back on the boat with no friends and/or no customers if your offering any kind of services.

One thing Shetlanders (or anyone else to think of) Can't stand in any way is junked up folk coming here to show us how to do things. We have had thousands of that kind of attitude here in the past and they all end up going back where they came from. So don't plan staying for long unless you do it the Frances way. I can think of a few folk that had shops/businesses here over the past 20 years, none live here now. Flash in the pans.

so please come, live, join in, but dont try and take over.

Peat – anyone wishing to become a doctor has to go south to medical school to train. So unclear whence you are deriving your ‘leaving to enhance his / her skills’ suggestion.

What has becoming a doctor got to do with it?

I still stand by the fact that folk leave Shetland to train elsewhere and therefore take their skill elsewhere. There has also been a lessening of youngsters as well, with the exception of 15-19 year olds and 0-4 year olds. The lessening of you folk carries on until they are 40 or more, though not so young. It seems though that Shetland is the place to retire to. That is where the population increases dramatically.

It is good that skilled folk are coming to Shetland, the hope would be that they trained the youngsters and share that knowledge and develop the skills they need.

you are right we need to train folk here so they dont have to go elsewhere so after being trained they are a high chance they will stay here, live, work, etc.

But when offering training we also need to offer real jobs to get after the trainning has finished. To pick a couple of cources out of the hat - music and art - wheres the jobs coming from after the cource has finished? teaching? sound engenering? pruducers? artists? I really don't think they are that many jobs here and most of this folk will end up having to go south to find work or at least to sell their products. Baring in mind this cources are on every year and pump put lots of students every year. Where any of the business or trades kind of training will last for years what ever jobs they get.

Many skills can cross from one job to another, with the upsurge in renewable energies of all kinds, marine installations and those on land, there will be a need for island based engineers. As with those skilled people coming to Shetland, they still would probably have a "home" elsewhere. There is little reason to suggest this could not happen with the new skilled Shetland workforce.

With the current trend of falling university admissions and the way the universities receive the funding from students, the nation is steadily being "dumbed down" to make it cheaper.

Many are folk in later life moving back or retiring.

In 2001 there were 1053 folk aged 60-64, in 2010 there were 1530

However, if you go back to 1981 there were 22,768 and in 1991 there were 22,522 yet the biggest influx was seen between 1971 and 1981 which boosted the population by 5,443, almost a third. From 1981, the population increased by less than 500 overall.

There were more children around also in 2001, even more in 1991 but less in 1971

Colin,

I am neither" chasing a dream in an idyllic location" nor a "runaway". I am a highly skilled worker who has accepted a job on a 2 year contract who is opting to live outside company accomodation for the 2 years of my contract, bring my partner to shetland and contribute to the local community and economy and who knows, maybe even stay.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands. I won't come and do more research, I'll take my chances.

When I fail I'll PM you so you can laugh

OK, before we really get off on the wrong foot.. I did not intend my posting to be 'snide' or otherwise misinterpreted. I was just trying to point out that an awful lot of people turn up here for the 'wrong' reasons and are ill prepared for the vastly different attitudes they will find.

What seems to be an idyllic location at first can turn out be be a nightmare in the long term. Just think about it properly.

You should be grateful that there are people like me coming to the shetlands. I won't come and do more research, I'll take my chances.

When I fail I'll PM you so you can laugh

Totally unnecessary comment... on several counts.

Firstly you shouldn't patronise anybody by insinuating that we should be 'grateful' and are in some way 'backward' by arrogantly claiming that by coming to Shetland, 'highly skilled' people like you are doing us a favour when we already have a surprisingly large collection of well educated, highly skilled, talented and gifted individuals (we couldn't live here without them..)

You just might have a talent or skill that is in short supply here but, that's another matter.

Don't do any more research and take your chances. That's your shout so, best of luck and there was never any intention of laughing at you (or anybody else for that matter) if you failed...

Lastly, lighten up a bit.. Lots of people here have tried to offer sound advice. Don't lose the head because some of it may not fit with your pre-concieved vision of how we should react.

FWIW

I to am an 'incomer'.

Been here more than 35 years but, to some, I am still an incomer and when I arrived, I brought a talent and skill set that nobody on Shetland had. I didn't shout about it. Just got on with doing what I do..

Colin,

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry if i did take your comment as snide. And also I think you might have misunderstood my comment about the people of shetland being grateful that I am moving up.. I didnt mean that I am bringing some magical skill to the area but that my partner and i are moving to Shetland (to give it a go) rather than myself living in company accomodation thereby contributing to the local economy and community. I feel I have done my research reasonably well enough but am here t oglean as much info as possible. I may seem like I am disregarding peoples negative advice but I am the type of person who will think of a way around such advice and put a positive spin on it.

thanks for your input