People that think people carriers are Ferraris.

soundview

In all fairness if I had to drive a people carrier 560hp or not I'd still want as few people as possible to know it was me driving so nipping on as fast as possible would be a must, I'd probably wear a balaclava too and hope in the event I was stopped the babylon would assume I was taliban and take me out rather than expose the horrifying truth that I had to drive something as dire as a picasso or zafira. Nobody no matter how much they try to tart it up with the practicality argument ever really wants to drive those things.

The two rear seats in those things are for the children you like the least or the mother in law as it is basically a crumple zone.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this thread is somewhat 'light hearted' but, as an Ex Driver I find it mildly amusing that the practicalities of your chosen mode of transport somehow seem to undermine your man/womanhood.

For crying out loud, it's a box with a wheel at each corner and a roof to keep the rain out.

Reading this thread, it's little wonder that there are so many psychos on the road. :D

Try driving in Aberdeen.

I came off the boat at 7-ish in the morning to be greeted with every car driver hooting at me for not joining a roundabout at 60mph. They were manic. I have never seen such aggressive driving (and I learned to drive in central London in the 1980's.)

It was shocking just how fast folk wanted everyone to go to be a road-user. I was genuinely flustered. I drive a Land Rover Defender and no way on God's earth is it going to go 0-60 in 2 seconds. It just can't and folk were gesticulating, hooting and turning redder and redder at 07.00 for what? To have a heart attack or to arrive at their destination in a complete froth.

Bizarre.

:shock:

You should see it at quarter past three on a friday afternoon.

Makes what you went through this morning seem like a leisurely sunday drive.

Aberdeen is fine, it depends what you're used to. I was in shetland last week (don't mention the weather :roll: ) and it was like life (and the driving) was being lived in slow motion. Like I said, it depends what you're used to, and at the moment I seem to prefer life to have a a bit more buzz.

That said, the worst driving I've ever witnessed was in shetland and it was someone who had lived there for many years and in their line of work they really should have known better - a health professional overtaking at a 'graceful' pace on a blind bend on the kames.

2nd worst was a P plate driver going the wrong way around the roundabout at the entrance to aberdeen airport :roll: good thing it was 5 in the morning.

Try driving in Aberdeen.

I came off the boat at 7-ish in the morning to be greeted with every car driver hooting at me for not joining a roundabout at 60mph. They were manic. I have never seen such aggressive driving (and I learned to drive in central London in the 1980's.)

It was shocking just how fast folk wanted everyone to go to be a road-user. I was genuinely flustered. I drive a Land Rover Defender and no way on God's earth is it going to go 0-60 in 2 seconds. It just can't and folk were gesticulating, hooting and turning redder and redder at 07.00 for what? To have a heart attack or to arrive at their destination in a complete froth.

Bizarre.

:shock:

Two points:

Aberdeen is full of Aberdonians, possibly one of the most miserable and dour minded creatures ever to drive upon Gods' earth.

You drive a Defender, drive at whatever speed you want - they'll come off worse..... :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I often have to drive really close to people to be able to read the plethora of stickers about the fact that they are carrying the next generation in their brown corduroy car, or their braking habits when in the vicinity of horses, or the fact that the person at the wheel is having a driving lesson, or their choice of car radio manufacturer but at least we haven't got as bad as the yanks yet with their bumper stickers.

• 3 weeks later...
despite having a baby on board sticker in my window and driving at speed limits I get fed up of morons driving right up my backside and overtaking in dodgy places.

I've never understood the concept of a 'Baby on Board' sticker as some sort of anti-collision device. It's not as if your average driver is thinking "OK, I won't crash into that car today, there's a baby in it. I'll look out for another one to career into out of control...."

I find that a fairly high percentage of these sticker bearing cars tend to have so much crap piled up in the back windows, (toys, clothes etc) that they pose more of a danger than the cars they tut at everytime they go past (I'm not saying you are one of them ohpollocks!), and the number of times I've been behind a car with the force-field of the sticker attached only to see the driver turning and reaching right behind them while doing 40, 50 or 60 mph to give little Joey his dummy back beggars belief.

Idiots in cars come in all shape and forms sadly.

Sadly this is very true

The idea of "Baby on Board" is that if you have a crash the paramedics will make sure the baby is located in the event of a crash. I have heard of baby seats being thrown some distance from the vehicle in a crash.

I never thought of that - thanks for sharing.