Advice on schools please

Hi all...

We currently live in Lerwick and our child is starting school in August. She is enrolled at Bells Brae.

There is a good chance we may be moving to Bressay. I know there is a school there but that many folk there send their kids to school in Lerwick.

I would like to hear the feedback of anyone living on Bressay as to which may be the best option for my child....a smaller school close to home or keep her enrolled in Lerwick?

Any thoughts in helping me make my decision are appreciated!

I am one of the parents of the six bairns who will start back in Bressay after the summer, six is the cut off number for one set of parents who belive any lower will not be enough socially for their two, so they intend to transfer their two bairns to Bells Brae during the next term or so, The other bairns and parents want to remain in Bressay and are keen to try to raise the numbers again to a more sustainable level. It is increadably vexing that we are in a position where only a couple of bairns would make all the difference to the Schools situation. There have been some parents choosing to put their bairns to Lerwick now for over thirty years and I am unsure of all the reasons, the most recent referals to Lerwick schools have I think been mostly to do with the greater number of bairns of their own age those schools will offer and a perseption that without any pre school bairns expected to come in over the next couple of years that there is little point staying put. Things have escalated incredibly quickly during May and June before which our bairns have been lucky to enjoy probably the happiest and most vibrant time the School has seen, they have had a very outdoor, hands on learning experience which mine have loved and although there have been less than ten bairns this last couple of years mine have enjoyed very stong friendships with age and gender not appearing to be of relavance. As to which School you would like and I of course hope you choose Bressay, it depends what is most important to you for your family, the Lerwick schools offer larger classes and plenty of same age peers and an education that some belive fits better wich current teaching methods, Bressay offers more individual attention and a more individualy taylored education, a family type enviroment and makes it easier to integrate into the community.

hi i am one of the parents of two children at the bressay school. they enjoy there schooling and never have any problems. because it,s a small school number i,m sure they have more advantages in the teaching and in there outdoor activities.

as you have probably read we have had some problems with the numbers,but the school will open after the summer with 6 children.

it would be good if you would give the school a try :D