A question for those living in Mossbank...

Hello all....

We have been offered a house in Mossbank and I would like to ask anyone who lives there or has lived there for a bit of advice. Please note I am not interested in the opinions of those who do not or have never lived there! I am very aware that many people do not rate this village very highly so I am asking for honest opinions of people who live there.

I would like to know what the school is like and does everyone there send their kids to Mossbank school or do some kids go to Brae for primary education? Also are there many activities for young people available up there?

I would like to know if the people who read this are happy there and do they think that Mossbank is a good place to live.

Many thanks.

Okay, shoot me for being one of the people who've you've specified shouldn't respond, but it might help you get a more accurate answer if you made it 100% clear whether the house you've been offered is in Mossbank or Firth. As the two, although clearly seperate, have morphed in to being all known as "Mossbank" in recent years by many.

To those of us who know the difference between the two, it is (rightly or wrongly) Firth which doesn't have a great reputation, Mossbank on the other hand isn't thought of all that much differently than any other comparable sized settlement anywhere else on the Shetland mainland.

Okay, shoot me for being one of the people who've you've specified shouldn't respond, but it might help you get a more accurate answer if you made it 100% clear whether the house you've been offered is in Mossbank or Firth. As the two, although clearly seperate, have morphed in to being all known as "Mossbank" in recent years by many.

To those of us who know the difference between the two, it is (rightly or wrongly) Firth which doesn't have a great reputation, Mossbank on the other hand isn't thought of all that much differently than any other comparable sized settlement anywhere else on the Shetland mainland.

Thanks for replying!!! And I left my gun at home so chill oot....

answer is Mossbank. Opposite the hall I have been told.

Well I agree with Ghostrider about the difference Between Firth and Mossbank. And I have not lived in either so get the gun ready but I have had some contact with folk in Mossbank and they seemed good and the place seemed good enough. Downside is that it is a long walk to the garage shop which, so far as I know, does not have fuel any more and the bus ride to Lerwick is long.......but not as long as from where I live. But the more good people who move there the better the place will become.

If I wanted to move and was offered Mossbank I would certainly not reject the offer without at least looking at the house.

If I wanted to move and was offered Mossbank I would certainly not reject the offer without at least looking at the house.

Thanks for that. We are going up at the weekend for a look. There seems to be so much negativity from people when I mention Mossbank so the only sensible thing to do is check the place out and make up my own mind.

I do not have my drivers license yet which is a pain but once that is taken care of living out the way a bit shouldn't be much of an issue.

I was up through Mossbank and Firth a few weeks ago and Firth doesn't seem the hole that it once was.

Mossbank actually seems a very nice little place, and I noticed a new house even being built.

It's Walls that seems to be the new rural dole mole capital of Shetland now.

I have lived in Mossbank many years and have started my family here, it certainly does not deserve the reputation it receives. The school is fantastic, it also has the added bonus of the out of school club. There is a youth club for primary 1s and all the way up to seniors.

Mossbank s a great community that offers plenty of opportunities for you to be involved, hope to see you soon.