A question for those living in Mossbank...

Hi Spartan..My wife and I moved to Mossbank nearly 35 yrs ago at the start of the oil boom. We brought up a big family their [6] in all. We had moved around quite a bit up till then. All I can tell you is that it was the most happiest years of our lives, really good neighbours a fantastic place to stay, Views to die for. We had to move around 3 years ago because of property left to us in a will, Probably the worst move of our lives, If we could turn the clock back we'd be back tomorrow. As it is we left two of our children their and their bringing up their families and all still love the place.... Hope if you take up the offer you get the same feeling as we did ..All the best for the future...hughie

Hi Spartan..My wife and I moved to Mossbank nearly 35 yrs ago at the start of the oil boom. We brought up a big family their [6] in all. We had moved around quite a bit up till then. All I can tell you is that it was the most happiest years of our lives, really good neighbours a fantastic place to stay, Views to die for. We had to move around 3 years ago because of property left to us in a will, Probably the worst move of our lives, If we could turn the clock back we'd be back tomorrow. As it is we left two of our children their and their bringing up their families and all still love the place.... Hope if you take up the offer you get the same feeling as we did ..All the best for the future...hughie

Hi there and many thanks for such a positive post.

We have now been told by the council that we are "1st on the list" for Mossbank but I have to wait and be formally allocated....if they choose to allocate it to me! I thought that being first on a list was pretty secure but clearly the SIC has several definitions of 1st on list depending on who you talk to and what day of the week it is.....frustrating does not even come close.

Based on all of the feedback above, I am keeping the faith that we get allocated the property which a few days ago they said would be ours if we wanted it. All we want is a permanent home in a decent area with a good school close at hand for our daughter and from what I have been told, Mossbank sounds like that kind of place.

Kavi Ugly, yet again, showing that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about! Don't use such ridiculous, sweeping statements without first coming with some sort of evidence, if at all. It's comments like that that put people (such as the OP) off of moving to a perfectly nice area.

Spartan - I wish you well in your move!

It's Walls that seems to be the new rural dole mole capital of Shetland now.

Really? Do explain? Or are you just being offensive about someone in particular?

There's plenty of those eyesore wooden houses you love being built at the moment not easy to afford on 70 a week.

I'm just going on what I saw with my own eyes a few months ago so you can like it or lump it.

With the current boom in Shetland there's plenty of jobs going if you're able and prepared to work.

Not that simple. People who are unskilled, not fit enough for manual labouring, lacking computer skills and lacking transport to get to any available jobs (or maybe even a couple of those things) may find it hard to get a job. Add to this people of the wrong nationality (Scottish perhaps) might be at the back of the queue for some jobs and there are always people on the allegedly non existent black lists who somehow never get offered work.

BTW I am not looking for work being a happy pensioner.

We had family who lived in Mossbank a few years ago, that was the only place offered to them at the time. For them, it was being isolated from the rest of the family that was the problem. Though a friend had stayed there a couple of years ago and seemed to thoroughly enjoyed the area. Having your own transport is a must I would think. I hope you enjoy it.

Ah you had me worried there it's just your assumptions not based on actual fact.

How do you come to that conclusion?

If someone "sees something with their own eyes" then, to them at least, it is a "fact" based on their own interpretation of events.

Seems to me that the OP is not the only one making a few "assumptions".

Get off your high horse.