Care centre dispute

tirvaluk

I take my hat off to many of the coal face workers who probably do a sterling job and who believe in care rather than paperwork but on the whole I'm afraid I think the care sector in Shetland has had it too good for too long.

Simon Boker-Ingram sounds on the radio like a decent kind of man(no, I don't know him personally) and my guess is he's just had to bite the bullet.

According to this news article on the new "Independant Living" centre there are no less than 41 occupational therapists!!.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/7132-independent-living-centre-opens

According to this news article on the new "Independant Living" centre there are no less than 41 occupational therapists!!.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/7132-independent-living-centre-opens

Not quite - what it said was "41 occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and care at home staff". I read that as 41 staff in total in the building - but I may be wrong. I understand it is a building to be used by both SIC and NHS staff, great to hear they are working together.

Back to the thread. I too have the greatest respect for care home staff and the work they do. I don't have any idea what the rota changes are to be, so don't have any view on that. But I am fairly sure the Radio Shetland interview last night said that the 85% was based on 50 folk voting - that seems a pretty small proportion of the folk that must work in the care homes. So staff views may not be as clear cut as appears at first sight. Anyone know the number of staff working in care homes, and the actual number that did vote?

What Simon Boker-Ingram was speaking about doing sounded like a great improvement for the clients. I can understand the workers not wanting change, but things cannot be the same and stagnent forever. They are only coming into line with care centres south and the surplus of workers have had it their own way for to long here.

It made me laugh that the Union were so desperate to try and interfere in the changes they are trying to say that the changes are sexist! They realy are scraping the bottom of the barrel with that argument.

How can Ironwithin reckon that it will be better for clients this new system in care homes? Has he or she had experience of care homes? Have they had a relative in them or been in themselves or worked in one? Does he or she know the full extent of changes being made in detail and what that will mean for either client or worker?

I did have a relative in one for over 3 years and I was there nearly every day in that time and I was very thankful for the brilliant attention my relative received. I do not understand this persons view that they seem to have had things all their own way up to now as I found all staff dedicated and very hard working and at times snowed under by the amount they were expected to do, some days more than others depending on the clients needs on different days. It was very hard work and not easy either when people with dementia had off days and most clients in there

needed two people to work with them as they were so poorly.

I for one think the ones to ask how to make savings is the careworker on the floor doing the job and not some jumped up office worker who has had no experience of a day in a carecentre on the floor caring for patients in all aspects.

While I am aware that cuts have to be made, one should listen to those at the coal face as Money can be wasted on poorly thought through schemes. Has this been done? It often appears that decisions are made on the flimsiest of information with much emphasis on personal points of view rather than real facts.

• 2 weeks later...

So now the letters are out .with less than a week to make your decision. Some of the lowest paid part time staff have the biggest cut to pay losing over £1000 a year and the night aid workers are offered more hours all be it at the expense of less family time.what pay cut has Simon biker Ingram taken or is that not for puplic consultation.

Some of the lowest paid part time staff have the biggest cut to pay

Are hourly rates of pay being cut, or is it the number of hours that is being reduced?

I understand the standard Council working week is 37 hours – are night aid workers now expected to work more than 37 hours weekly?