emma leask runs for scotland

concerned shetlander

Well done :)

Originally posted on Shetland Times website - July 30th, 2013 by Neil Riddell - Scotland call-up for double island games medallist Emma Leask

July just gets better and better for top Shetland runner Emma Leask, who has received her first ever call-up to represent Scotland.

She will don a Scottish athletics vest for the first time in Wednesday’s Welsh International event in Cardiff.

The competition consists of Welsh, Scottish and regional English athletes, along with individual international guests.

It comes hot on the heels of brilliant performances in Bermuda, where Emma won gold (800m) and silver (400m) medals in the 2013 NatWest Island Games two weeks ago.

“I’m so excited to be called up to run for Scotland,” she told The Shetland Times. “I’m really looking forward to the experience and it’ll be great to represent my country and wear a Scottish vest. It also means that all the hard work and training I’ve done over the past two years has paid off.”

Emma will be running in the women’s 800m event at the Cardiff International stadium, with her race scheduled to begin at 7.30pm tomorrow night.

Her mother Janice Leask said it would be “a competitive field with close finishes, and the times will be expected to be fast but Emma should be able to give a good account of herself”.