O2 signal

jelllybean

I am currently with Vodafone and hate it! They over charge me a lot and cancel my contract for no reason and I was looking to change. I currently live in North Roe and according to the o2 website you get good signal there and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is right or not? I don't want to buy a phone if it doesn't work.

Try this site   this is the current O2 coverage I have done; sorry it doesnt reach north of collafirth as yet

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=23410&lat=60.13196427278511&long=-1.1031811523437174&zoom=9&netType=0

Anyone with an iphone or android can download the free app and scan your locality for signal reports which are then uploaded to the websites (hint, upload using wifi and it doesn't cost you any data allowance. Remember not to scan for Cell broadband coverage as that does use your data allowance).

All the results for each carrier are summed together to give an overall picture: Most of the O2 results are mine although someone has been into Whalsay on O2 in rootmetrics.

Other sites: also with free-to-download apps are

http://www.rootmetrics.com/uk/check-coverage/

select your operator and then move up the map to your chosen area; you can then change operator and see if anyone has been supplying reports.

Others less, or not used; at least in Shetland:

http://opensignal.com/index.php?lat=60.0578&lng=-1.1552&initZoom=9&isHeatMap=1&netwkID%255B%255D=23410

http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/GB/Great_Britain/O2/gsm_23410

I find the first one (coveragemapper) the most accurate; although you will not see your results appear for 6 or more hours after upload.

The second site (rootmetrics) gives a result faster but I am a bit suspicious of the nice little coloured hexagons it produces after 1 scan and upload as it seems to indicate a good signal when no bars were showing on the phone.   After a lot of recoverage of the same ground the results seem to be a bit more accurate (See lerwick and surrounding area).

The latter two I have investigated but  opensignal did not show any of my test results even after several months, so I abandoned it; and  Sensorly I have failed to get working on my S2

The more people who run these tests in shetland; the more accurate will be the results; thus helping everyone  to see what works where.  We need coverage of Orange, T-mobile and 3 as no-one seems to be running these apps on those providers: Someone is doing some work with Vodafone I notice..

Some of the results displayed are of only one pass over the ground; so I would be wary of taking them at face value; for example, collafirth mast was off  the day I was in Ronas voe so the result shows black for no signal... QED

However; Brae and everything east and south of there has been gone over (in coveragemapper) several or many times and I am happy that the results shown there are pretty consistant with the actual availability of O2.

hope this helps

Thule

Edited by thule

• 6 months later...

Thanks MuckleJoannie, I was beginning to think it must be my phone or a faulty SIM card. O2 eventually put up that there was a fault with the Scalloway mast around 8pm. It had been off for over 12 hours by that time. I had checked with O2 prior to tea time and they told me there were no problems.

You would think that they would have some way of telling them that the mast wasn't working other than waiting for sufficient complaints to come in. It always amazes me how we live in a world so full of fancy, technical gadgets, but the basics let it down.

• 3 months later...

How is the O2 coverage now? I've heard they are may sharing with Vodafone, so was wondering if it was better? (They have far better deals than Vodafone IMO)

Thanks

They must have fixed something as the service has not been a problem since March. Although instant messaging took 6 hours from sending to arriving yesterday. So much for technology :-)

I had problems with a poor 02 signal at the house and installed a signal booster, which will boost 02 Vodafone etc. my 02 signal went from 0-1 Bars to a full 5 bars throughout the house. Vodafone went from 2-3 to a full 5 bars.

As long as you can get some signal, even outside the property, the booster should strengthen it inside.