Military intervention in Syria  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK take military action against the Syrian regime

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Given the recent allegations of the Syrian dictatorship using chemical weapons against its own citizens, what do people think about the UK becoming involved in military action against Bashar al Assad's regime. Should we, or should we not?

I'm no fan of George Galloway, but he certainly got his point over during the recent Parliamentary debate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgxzpQrqSkg

(p.s. lovin the new shetlink!)

• 1 year later...

Don't quite know what to make of him myself, seems to be a bit like marmite.  Certainly has a knack of rocking the 'cosy and comfortable' out of their chairs with some unpalatable facts.

Doesn't help when some of the media tries to present him as some kind of 'clown' figure but, having said that, he has gotten quite a bit of exposure on tv lately.

However, I do believe that his assessment of the proposed bombing is correct.  Just what is the point of spending millions/billions  'precision bombing'(?) a few old pick-ups or sending cruise missiles into somebodies 'crapper' etc.  Cheaper than a NATO exercise I suppose or, practising for the 'war to come'..

Galloway is a bizarre character talks some sense but delivers it in a way which makes him look almost out of touch with reality. However his previous contacts with some of the worlds most brutal leaders makes you wonder what his agenda is. I've no doubt that previous spin on money and oil he has received from these leaders is just that spin. But someone who campains against poverty and oppresion by the state really does show he has double standards but hey what polititian doesnt

Difficult one this.  I voted undecided.

On the one hand IS are a bunch of pyschopaths who seem to be spreading and gaining ground.

On the other hand Colonel Bob Stewart made a most profound observation last week when he said the West were once again stepping in to deal with a problem which isn't really theirs while the Middle East countries(whose problem it is) stand idly by and let the west do the "dirty work".

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Difficult one this.  I voted undecided.

On the one hand IS are a bunch of pyschopaths who seem to be spreading and gaining ground.

On the other hand Colonel Bob Stewart made a most profound observation last week when he said the West were once again stepping in to deal with a problem which isn't really theirs while the Middle East countries(whose problem it is) stand idly by and let the west do the "dirty work".

That is pretty much spot on and as that is the case the problem will never be solved

This comment from the guardian

"Forget the religious aspects of this conflict. It's about human decency from a western perspective. I think I speak for most westerners when I say this. It makes me sick to see fellow humans getting raped, murdered, crucified, beheaded, dispossessed and tortured by packs of insane psychopathic killers who bring death everywhere in their wake. ISIS is a truly demonic cult, it's members have foregone every conceivable morality. "

The thing is who has actually seen ALL these people getting raped, murdered etc, etc...

The media always uses very benign pictures when reporting from conflict zones, especially when it is the after effects of our own side's actions, yes I know there are probably a few real beheading home made movies out there but how can anybody in this country be sure of real facts ?

Paul B, the use of WMD may have been banned from the 1920's but they are still in regular use all the time., I consider 500 lb of laser guided high explosives a WMD , especially when set off in the back garden.

• 11 months later...

Was Saddam Hussein not stubborn and defiant. If he had no weapons of mass destructions why did he not let us search every "neuk and cranny".We would probably still be there searching and many lives would not have been lost his own included

Still think it was wrong to bomb Iraq and feel the same way about Syria it would only create more problems.

Just stubborn vey defiant  leaders in all these countries who it seems must get there own way at any price, lets keep out of it.

Edited by Urabug