Military intervention in Syria  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK take military action against the Syrian regime

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• 2 months later...

This poll and thread was started when the UK government wanted to bomb the Assad regime in Syria which was knocked back by our representatives in the House of Commons.

Things have moved on and are now even more complicated

The new Commons vote is about air strikes against ISIS in Syria which has UN backing.

The track record of military intervention by the West in the Middle East can hardly be described as successful.

Will joining the war in Syria help end it, defeat ISIS, protect us from terrorist attack or improve the lives of civilians in the region?

Doing nothing might also have terrible consequences, I don't think anyone has a clue how to deal with this terrible situation.

Edited by Capeesh

Will joining the war in Syria help end it, defeat ISIS, protect us from terrorist attack or improve the lives of civilians in the region?

Personally, I don't think so and, I think it is a sad claim by various government ministers (and others) that it will..

I know that something must be done but, bombing the hell out of the place isn't going to make any difference to the IS fanatics who have already returned to Europe and are intending to bring the 'jihad' here at the earliest opportunity.  Neither is it going to help all the civilians "on the ground" in the region.

IS are not stupid and will attempt to use civilians(?) as a shield.

^^^ Watching some of the debate before the vote, some of them are seriously trying to say our bombs are so advanced they only kill baddies.

I agree we need to do something but it seems a bit of a shambolic response to a serious problem.

Hopefully there is somebody in power who knows what they're doing.

Edited by Capeesh

Well i'm not sure voteing to bomb Syria was good or bad,but Scotland will certainly pay a heavy price for not supporting this action.

Watch the National contracts and possibly oil/de-commisioning contracts ect

Will they come to Scotland.

Shame on the SNP

So you don't know whether it's a good idea or not but we should buckle down and do as we're told, Urabug? You're obviously prepared to stand on your own two feet and do as you're told, and proudly too. The SNP are willing to put their own beliefs, and the beliefs of the people that voted for them, forward, but Carbunkle voted Yes - regardless of the views of the people that voted him in.

Are you psysic George --how do you know what the people who support Alistair want !  -- I certainly do'nt.

Are you suggesting that Carbunkle's supporters are delighted that Britain has gone to war with Syria for no good reason, Urabug. If so, I'd like to see some proof - but only if you have any, of course.

Wouldn't life be wonderful if people didn't have free will and simply followed the party line. Of course blind obedience is the easy option. And that works for all political persuasions. If people would try and leave their dogma behind and produce a solution that works that would be fine. I think for the majority doing nothing but gripe is doing nothing.

• 2 months later...