Military intervention in Syria  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK take military action against the Syrian regime

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I will say I sympathise with those fleeing conflict. I worked in the immigration/asylum industry for a number of years so hope I know what Im taking about. I have noticed an acceptance on here of the Syrians plight which I understand but having had particular dealings with refugees from Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan I must say the plight of refugees go way past that of fleeing war. There are many different type of refugees and it seems to me most on here listen to the rhetoric spouted by the media of which I was astounded last night to here they were still referring to the Syrians as migrants.

Having been personally involved in the Afghanistan returns case where more than half the people on the flight went missing when they were returned as failed Asylum seekers it showed that the Afghan state was unable to protect these people which was the whole basis on the claim not that they were fleeing war.

There are cases of gay people from Iran and Africa being killed for their gender this again is a reason for asylum grants. I have sat in the immigration tribunal when the appellants are shown naked pictures of people of the same sex and asked if they are excited and they are asked what positions they prefer.

The asylum process in this country is perverse and yes I accept there are people who try to exploit the system but there are many who are refused and returned never to be heard of again.

I had an Iranian client who was imprisoned for 6 months for working while his 4 year asylum claim was being assessed His claim was refused as he was deemed dishonest as he had committed a criminal act. He spent 4 years in detention as the Home Office were adamant they could return him to Iran. The Iranians were adamant they would not accept him as he was a Christian eventually the High Court in Edinburgh released him stating there was no prospect of him being returned they actually suggested to him he should pursue a financial action against the Home Secretary for unlawful detention, he did not he got his papers and got a job to support his wife and child.

There are many reasons for Asylum claims

Hi,

Security risk isn't just about terrorists and I didn't say terrorists were walking amongst these people, I was actually referring to thieves ,fraudsters, rapists and the like should have perhaps made myself bit clearer . There will be people like this in those crowds just by the laws of probability.

What about the probable British thieves, fraudsters, rapists and the like that are travelling on, or moving to, the Continent? Are you suggesting that no-one should be allowed to travel or move countries as they 'might' be unsavoury characters based upon their present situation?

Or is it just the old line that foreigners are all the same - untrustworthy - not like us honest and industrious Brits?

"The main group of people of concern to UNHCR in Turkey in 2014 are Syrian refugees, most of whom have fled conflict in the Syrian provinces bordering Turkey. New arrivals are expected to continue throughout 2015. Half of the refugees from the Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) are children."

Source UNHCR The UN Refugee Agency (quoted directly from their website)

Check their website, they're on the ground in the camps helping with the Refugee crisis, loads of info and statistics for anyone who's interested in facts.

according to this there isn't that much available in Unst.....:

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/housing/housing_options_low_demand.asp

Interesting. There are certainly more than that lying vacant but perhaps they are privately owned now.

Regardless, three 3-bedroomed houses could provide accommodation for three families, or more temporary accommodation for an even larger group. Three families would be enough for them to have a reasonable support network whilst still small enough to integrate with relative ease.

Our housing waiting list is almost entirely for houses in Lerwick and the surrounding areas. There's no shortage in other parts of Shetland. I'm sure Unst would have capacity for many families given its population is about half what it was twenty years ago.

You live in Unst do you?

I do indeed.

Edited by hjasga

I will say I sympathise with those fleeing conflict. I worked in the immigration/asylum industry for a number of years so hope I know what Im taking about.  ...

And you'll no doubt then be well aware that Lunar House, Croydon, can't cope with their existing workload.  You'll be well aware of the Legal Aid/Legal Help bill, not just for their asylum cases for "can I stay or not?" but also the Legal Aid/Legal Help bills for when they have applied for Housing/not having mental health needs met.  You'll be well aware too of those who refuse to state which country they come from, and be well aware of the difficulties faced and the public outcry of how we shouldn't hold people in detention centres - well where do we put them?

The misconception that every single asylum seeker gets housed by a local authority when they don't and aren't entitled to it but hey, a solicitor will still get a few quid from giving it a go, because they are authorised to grant emergency legal aid up to £500 (?), the black market boom of previous years in the building industry ('cash in hand, mate, we'll pay you £5 an hour and turn a blind eye to PPE, don't care that you haven't got a forklift licence and we'll pick you up on the corner at 6am in a white van') resulting in more injuries, exploitation and skilled legal workers getting shunted out of a job; not to mention dumping them in housing that was previously condemned/run down and not being exactly welcomed by the locals ... and yet not all have returned to the ex-Jugoslavia, the local curry house still has illegal chefs, the local GP still has a waiting list, the interpretation costs ...

... and we're gonna do the same again, are we, in a time when the sick, the disabled, the pensioners et al are being told about austerity?

So what do we do?  They won't all be entitled to benefits yet they won't all be granted work permits either, even if legal jobs actually existed.  So then you get crime which includes begging.

Yes, there are genuine asylum seekers but there's an awful lot of economic migrants too (who can blame them?), but I thought this thread was about Syria and refugees.

Well once you've had to leave your homeland because folk are wanting to blow the living crap out of it I don't think it's that unreasonable to have some say where you might want to live after it. Keeping tens of thousands of people in a camp is unfair on the country hosting the camp as they can't absorb that many people in short order. It's not beyond the realms of sensibility that neighbouring countries should help carry the burden. However, the real solution is to stop these people wanting to leave their own country. Dropping the odd bomb every now and then hasn't worked that well so far so maybe it's time to take stronger measures.

Are they though?  A large group of people buried that child in an area where they are apparently seeking refuge from, yet they went back there ... were there jet fighters above on the lookout for anyone about to blow them to bits?  If you are absolutely petrified of chemical warfare, absolutely petrified of being killed, do you (and not just you, but many more) go back to bury a child?  Or was that safety in numbers because I don't think safety in numbers applies against a chemical attack does it?  Many have left their loved ones and those who have died because they daren't go back to whence they came so one can only assume that their love for their child outweighed any fear they might have.

Just because people are saying close borders and don't take them in doesn't equate to not caring about them; after all, they are human beings.  But where the hell are the UN?  Is taking in practically the entire population of a country and letting them choose where they live really the answer?  Refugees I've met in the past were grateful for any shelter but many of these (if the media reports are to be believed) seem to think that they have an entitlement to wander through Europe and choose where they live - it don't work like that.  It does still apply that if you are a refugee and NOT an economic migrant that you claim it in the first EU country you land in - the Dublin Agreement hasn't been amended yet, has it?

Greece is struggling to process people with the necessary paperwork but even then, as soon as some of them get it, they are allegedly hotfooting it to other countries within the EU ... yet they wouldn't have the refugee status by doing so.

So out of the millions, there will be some with skills but all you have to do is look online at the history of the country, the type of jobs, the numbers of university, etc., to realise that there will not be millions of skilled workers.  It's interesting to see how Germany has assigned to various geographic regions, and it looks like the bulk of them are going to rural country areas - cheap labour?  If so, are those people also now being exploited?

The whole thing is a mess, much of it being the West's doing.  But we simply cannot agree to take in everyone; realistically we don't have the money, we don't have the infrastructure, and this is not the same as taking in refugees during WWII.

So what would happen if all the borders were closed?  Could the UN go into Syria (are they still even a member?)  Or is that what the russians are gonna do, send in more given they are already there?  Because if all the borders were closed, what would those people do then?  Would they fight?  Would they want to protect their country?  Would IS and their allies be able to attack them all or could the UN protect them?  Should the UN protect them?

And whilst I find some comments abhorrent re the security risk and what if terrorists are slipping through with genuine refugees, at the same time it does seem somewhat strange that from the media reports there appears to be many more men than women.

The thing is, this hasn't happened overnight - and it's been the typical "stick the kettle on, make a nice cuppa tea and it'll all blow over" attitude by many countries.

I'm not sure if you've been living in an area affected by armed conflict so maybe you're talking from experience but most folk wouldn't have a clue how they'd react to having to a bury a child in those circumstances. To suggest it can't be that bad and do the really need to leave or are they in that much danger would make me think you like me wouldn't really know what to do until we were faced with the situation.

I don't think I said anywhere that refugees should be allowed to wander freely through the EU. However, we as a country can and should be doing more. To sit with an I'm alright jack attitude it's miles away particularly with the chequered history Britain has in that area seems a bit hypocritical. We choose to fight across the border in Iraq but not in Syria when the cause would certainly seem to be more worthy. This whole issue is a gift to anyone wanting to leave the EU, the response so far has been chaotic. Cameron much as I don't like him has taken an attitude which makes sense if we can't take refugees from camps within the EU where they have been processed then take them from camps in or adjacent to Syria where they might have been processed cutting down on the work required by us to figure out who is who. As for those in the wind wandering through the EU now is the time to start doing stricter border checks, finding out who is and setting up processing and distribution properly but we'll have pressure put on us to take some of them too. What does seem apparent is we're not going to be able to put the majority of them back where they started.

There are a lot of people genuinely fleeing conflict and what I hear more than anything else is the increasing roar of people trying to tie them in with folk who are shifting for economic reasons. Do we have to instantly assume that everyone therefore doesn't have a legitmate reason to come to the EU because some people don't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when folk (not necessarily you) hang their hat on not taking any because they might be coming for economic reasons it's just an excuse to do nothing.

I will say I sympathise with those fleeing conflict. I worked in the immigration/asylum industry for a number of years so hope I know what Im taking about.  ...

And you'll no doubt then be well aware that Lunar House, Croydon, can't cope with their existing workload.  You'll be well aware of the Legal Aid/Legal Help bill, not just for their asylum cases for "can I stay or not?" but also the Legal Aid/Legal Help bills for when they have applied for Housing/not having mental health needs met.  You'll be well aware too of those who refuse to state which country they come from, and be well aware of the difficulties faced and the public outcry of how we shouldn't hold people in detention centres - well where do we put them?

The misconception that every single asylum seeker gets housed by a local authority when they don't and aren't entitled to it but hey, a solicitor will still get a few quid from giving it a go, because they are authorised to grant emergency legal aid up to £500 (?), the black market boom of previous years in the building industry ('cash in hand, mate, we'll pay you £5 an hour and turn a blind eye to PPE, don't care that you haven't got a forklift licence and we'll pick you up on the corner at 6am in a white van') resulting in more injuries, exploitation and skilled legal workers getting shunted out of a job; not to mention dumping them in housing that was previously condemned/run down and not being exactly welcomed by the locals ... and yet not all have returned to the ex-Jugoslavia, the local curry house still has illegal chefs, the local GP still has a waiting list, the interpretation costs ...

... and we're gonna do the same again, are we, in a time when the sick, the disabled, the pensioners et al are being told about austerity?

So what do we do?  They won't all be entitled to benefits yet they won't all be granted work permits either, even if legal jobs actually existed.  So then you get crime which includes begging.

Yes, there are genuine asylum seekers but there's an awful lot of economic migrants too (who can blame them?), but I thought this thread was about Syria and refugees.

As far as I remember Lunar House is pretty much dealing with historical claims as they were understaffed for years. Most of the legacy stuff has been either lost or destroyed. There was quite a bit of pubicity about them as they were famously filmed makiing monkey chants when a case worker marked a asylum case granted led by there Team Leader. In any event most new claims have to be made in Liverpool

The legal aid bill accusation has changed dramaticly over the last 4 or 5 years and only detained fast track have automatic access to legal representation. Others have to fit certain criteria. As for the £500 emergency legal aid I have no idea where you are geting that as immigration is contract funded and if you dont reach a certain level of success you lose the contract meaning borderline or high workload cases are rarely taken on legal aid. The Scottish Legal aid system is different.

You are right Asylum seekers have no right to social housing or recourse to public funds. They are supported through NASS. NASS buy accomodation through a national pool normaly high rise blocks.

I dont have the answers I was only trying to shed some light on the Asylum procedure and from my prospective it was not a financial gravy train for representatives and most Asylum seekers pay heed to the law as do most UK citizens

As far as I remember Lunar House is pretty much dealing with historical claims as they were understaffed for years. Most of the legacy stuff has been either lost or destroyed. There was quite a bit of pubicity about them as they were famously filmed makiing monkey chants when a case worker marked a asylum case granted led by there Team Leader. In any event most new claims have to be made in Liverpool

The legal aid bill accusation has changed dramaticly over the last 4 or 5 years and only detained fast track have automatic access to legal representation. Others have to fit certain criteria. As for the £500 emergency legal aid I have no idea where you are geting that as immigration is contract funded and if you dont reach a certain level of success you lose the contract meaning borderline or high workload cases are rarely taken on legal aid. The Scottish Legal aid system is different.

You are right Asylum seekers have no right to social housing or recourse to public funds. They are supported through NASS. NASS buy accomodation through a national pool normaly high rise blocks.

I dont have the answers I was only trying to shed some light on the Asylum procedure and from my prospective it was not a financial gravy train for representatives and most Asylum seekers pay heed to the law as do most UK citizens

Lunar House still deals with immigration and visas.  I cannot remember the precise amount (re the £500) but some solicitors on the LSC Panel but not all of them, (if memory serves me correctly) did have the ability to grant emergency funding before a legal aid application was processed, say  in emergencies/when giving initial advice (Legal Help) and at least up until 2013 if not still in effect now - so in other words, they contact a solicitor and if the solicitor thinks there is a 60/40 chance of success they do the initial work.  Whilst I worked in the SEN/Community Care/Mental Health Legal Team, I sat next to an Immigration solicitor and when their secretary was off I transcribed their work.  Children are still entitled to representation ...

... which brings me onto Housing.  Whilst, for example, a single male asylum seeker who didn't say have pressing health/mental health needs would not be entitled to assistance re social housing, a family was (and I thought still were) due to the obligations placed upon a Local Authority by the Childrens Act.

There were cuts to Legal Aid/Legal Help, especially in general in relation to Education, but even up to two years ago, I knew of several firms who do a significant amount of state-funded work, despite the fact private work was paying upwards of £160 to £250 per hour and Legal Aid was paying something like £65 an hour.

I agree, most asylum seekers do pay heed to the law but sadly there is a percentage who don't and it would be foolish not to take that factor into account but I'm not for one moment suggesting they should all be tarnished with the same brush.

Lunar House still deals with immigration and visas.  I cannot remember the precise amount (re the £500) but some solicitors on the LSC Panel but not all of them, (if memory serves me correctly) did have the ability to grant emergency funding before a legal aid application was processed, say  in emergencies/when giving initial advice (Legal Help) and at least up until 2013 if not still in effect now - so in other words, they contact a solicitor and if the solicitor thinks there is a 60/40 chance of success they do the initial work.  Whilst I worked in the SEN/Community Care/Mental Health Legal Team, I sat next to an Immigration solicitor and when their secretary was off I transcribed their work.  Children are still entitled to representation ...

... which brings me onto Housing.  Whilst, for example, a single male asylum seeker who didn't say have pressing health/mental health needs would not be entitled to assistance re social housing, a family was (and I thought still were) due to the obligations placed upon a Local Authority by the Childrens Act.

There were cuts to Legal Aid/Legal Help, especially in general in relation to Education, but even up to two years ago, I knew of several firms who do a significant amount of state-funded work, despite the fact private work was paying upwards of £160 to £250 per hour and Legal Aid was paying something like £65 an hour.

I agree, most asylum seekers do pay heed to the law but sadly there is a percentage who don't and it would be foolish not to take that factor into account but I'm not for one moment suggesting they should all be tarnished with the same brush.

I bow to your knowedge of the Engish system as I was mosty involved in detention cases is Dingavel I was only aware what happened down there and never required to seek funding from it. Again in Scotland accomodation was mosty through section 4 appications bfrom detention there was a large amount of accomodation in Gasgow and this was quite easy to obtain through NASS.

Legal aid work here for immigration was paid at around £24 per hour and was carried out by qualified immigration advisers. Oh yea I was offered money on many occasions as peope could not quite grasp that no matter who was paying I would work just as hard.

Well I wonder how the percentage stacks up against our own fine citizens

I bow to your knowedge of the Engish system as I was mosty involved in detention cases is Dingavel I was only aware what happened down there and never required to seek funding from it. Again in Scotland accomodation was mosty through section 4 appications bfrom detention there was a large amount of accomodation in Gasgow and this was quite easy to obtain through NASS.

Legal aid work here for immigration was paid at around £24 per hour and was carried out by qualified immigration advisers. Oh yea I was offered money on many occasions as peope could not quite grasp that no matter who was paying I would work just as hard.

Well I wonder how the percentage stacks up against our own fine citizens

What has all this guff relating to the English system got to do with us? Scottish law is different (or hadn't you noticed?) and as Shetland is part of Scotland at the moment, we operate under Scottish law. English law is irrelevant.

The distinction between migrants, asylum seekers and refugees is very important,

For example I don't think the 4,088,099 registered refugees in the bordering countries of Syria are there because they heard they could get £34 a week in benefits in the UK.

They've ran from cities, towns and villages that've been bombed to oblivion, they're trying to avoid enslavement, rape, torture and death.

What has all this guff relating to the English system got to do with us? Scottish law is different (or hadn't you noticed?) and as Shetland is part of Scotland at the moment, we operate under Scottish law. English law is irrelevant.

In case you hadn't noticed, Scotland is part of the UK ... and guess who is in charge of immigration and borders?  Not all of the legislation relates just to England & Wales.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

unfortunatly most of the media is controlled by Westmonster and therefor they must obey the masters on what they put out ...fortunatly Scotland has a different legal system so anyone with a modicum of wit can ignore the would be controllers ...i pray Scotland can be independant shortly then we can function as a fair and careing society not controlled by the higher English elite who are still in the 18th centuary and think we are a part of the empire 

wrong George immigration is not devovled there fore we are bound by the immigration act and english tribunal system