Loganair With A Plaster Cast

Frances144

Frances – don’t fly anywhere with a stookie! I was in Germany with kids at a world championship when my husband had his first heart attack. On the way out I had slipped at the end of the moving pavement in Schiphol and mangled my ankle. The very efficient German hospital X-rayed it, pronounced it to be merely a bad sprain and put on what they called an air cast – to about halfway up my calf.

The next day I had to fly as an emergency from Stuttgart to Frankfurt and from Frankfurt to Edinburgh – both flights no more than 90 mins. When I finally reached Ninewells at 10pm and husband was still alive, I said they would have to get the cast off me as I couldn’t have him in intensive care and me unable to drive. After I assured them it wasn’t broken they agreed to take a saw to it; you should have seen my leg. My toes were proverbial cocktail sausages and completely purple, with it spreading up my foot. I got roundly ticked off by the A&E doctor for having ‘not told the airline I had a cast on’; well they didn't ask, I was wearing trousers and I caught the flight with 5 mins to go. He said I could have ended up in the bed next to my husband with my very own heart attack and that if you ever have to fly with a cast, you have to get them to saw through it and then hold it back together with sticking plaster – as it were - till you get to where you’re going.

Apparently everyone ‘should know this’ – I’m not quite sure how! 

Golly!  :cry:

They put a full plaster on and then cut it either side which is apparently what the airline agreed to in the end.

I am home with a full set of pink tootsies showing and it was a bearable ordeal.

Thank you for all your answers.

I never knew a stookie was a plaster!  Live and learn.

I was interested to read this as I am due to have an achilles heel operation, at the end of next month, that will leave me in plaster from my foot to my knee. I am hoping that the op will be done in Lerwick but, if I have to go to Aberdeen, it looks like an uncomfortable ferry journey home for me, then.

Going home by ferry is 100% preferable than flying.  The ferry terminals (correct me if I am wrong) both have wheelchairs you can use to get to the cabins.

The ferry staff will bring you food to your cabin if you ask nicely (I did some research when I thought I was coming back on the boat).